Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How do phishing .coms like this stay in business?

How do phishing .coms like this stay in business?
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2005, 08:50 AM

A couple weeks ago I got my first clever phishing (for my Amazon acct). An anchor that purported to link to https: amazon.com actually linked to http://secure.amazon.com.login-secure-page.com .
A quick eyeballing of that makes it look like Amazon.com ... uh, not so much.

(Full address includes my .mac email: http ://secure. amazon. com.login-secure-page. com/signin.php?exec/obidos/flex-sign-in/ref=gw_hp_si/103-3177084-7567864?opt=a&page=recs/sign-in-secure.html&response=tg/recs/recs-post-login-dispatch/-/recs/pd_rw_gw_ur/ref=192930_1/3-3&ref=bel&emaddr=lovecalmquiet @ mac.com )
(another great use for PHP/MySQL, eh?)

Going to that page (which resolves to http://secure.amazon.com.login-secur...com/signin.php Gives you a RIPOFF of amazon.com's sign-in page.

When I check WhoIs.net for "login-secure-page.com" they don't find it. How are these rogues pulling this off?

I've been forwarding these Phishies to [email protected] for a couple weeks. (They always send me a nice "thank you".) I've no idea how they might try to pursue this, but meanwhile I'm *sure* a bunch of aol (and other naifs) users are "signing in" - i.e., giving their amazon passwords to somebody (?who's then ordering a Segway or plasma TV, I guess).

Anyway... what I'm most curious about is why the phishers can't be traced back via their web info and be put out of business
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2005, 09:05 AM

The server seems to sit in South Korea. Maybe Amazon has no legal means to shut down the site?

gopikrishna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2005, 09:09 AM

cool, TETENAL...
How do you find out where something's server is (if it's not on WhoIs.net?)

Also, as much business as US & SK do, you'd think there'd be law enforcement connections?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2005, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by gopikrishna
cool, TETENAL...
How do you find out where something's server is (if it's not on WhoIs.net?)
http://www.visualroute.ch/

I typed in the address in there and it says the server is in Korea. Strangely enough you need to use the whole URL. The login-secure-page.com part alone does not resolve.

macsfromnowon
Nov 21, 2005, 10:08 AM

Gosh, my German is SO weak. www.visualroute.ch resolves to www.bbox.ch - german language. I'd love to read what it has to say. Anybody got an english-language version of this?

macsfromnowon
Nov 21, 2005, 10:09 AM

PS: what is the ".ch" domain?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by macsfromnowon
Gosh, my German is SO weak. www.visualroute.ch resolves to www.bbox.ch - german language. I'd love to read what it has to say. Anybody got an english-language version of this?
Look a little bit closer. The right column has the instructions in English and the Java-applet is English only anyway. The .ch top-level domain is Switzerland (Confoederatio Helvetica).

macsfromnowon
Nov 21, 2005, 10:35 AM

Ah! thanks. I was looking at their home page rather than m=15

An interesting way to keep up on what's happening with my own IP.

SystemPreffs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2005, 11:27 AM

Man, that is WEIRD if the US doesn't have enough pull to armtwist another high-tech country like S Korea into enforcing web crime!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2005, 01:03 PM

It's almost a certainty that the South Korean company serving that scam site would comply with a major corporation's notices. Maybe Amazon is still unaware of it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2005, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by macsfromnowon
PS: what is the ".ch" domain?

Switserland
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2005, 04:37 PM

Big Mac:
When I first contacted Amazon they emailed me, saying that I could help by forwarding the complete phish email - which I did. A couple different ones in last couple weeks.

Who knows: there's probably an Amazon.co.korea they need to protect

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2005, 12:23 AM

So there's another thread about such phishing (http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=276342). I haven't gotten the CIA one yet, but it does seem that a lot of my spam comes shows (at least in headers) that it's going to another .mac address as well. Are names/emails getting harvest from MacNN forums? is it possible / likely for folks to be able to do that?

gopikrishna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2005, 02:14 AM

(OT): So how come this thread acts wierd in FireFox (requires horizontal scrolling)? Or does it for others?
... there's no pix or nothing...
Oh, nevuh mind... I see it's the long URL posted. But Safari deals with that.
Would you call that a Firefox bug? feature?

Forum Links
Forum Rules