Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does Prius hybrid save $... when key costs $270?

Does Prius hybrid save $... when key costs $270?
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 04:01 PM

Bless Toyota. Great engineering on the Prius.

Unfortunately my folks & their fixed income are hurting because they lost one "SmartKey" when burglarized. With only one around, they could be in a pickle. So I thought I'd get another from dealer. Uh, not so much.

The blank SmartKey costs $225. To get it programed costs another $45.

Ordinary keys are not an option on a Prius rigged with SmartKey system.

Googling gets me a priuschat forum, but no one who's had to face replacing a key. Anybody got an idea what entrepreneur might have reverse-engineered this "smartness" and have a better price?

What about you Prius owners?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 04:12 PM

Insurance claim?

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 04:22 PM

sorry I cant be of any real help for your unlucky parents, but at the ford dealership I used to work at they would charge 95 bucks for a key and then 50 to program it. They also charged for an hours worth of work when in reality it literally took no more than 10 minutes.

King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2006, 04:29 PM

I have a Prius. "Ordinary keys" are not an option on any Prius whether or not you have the SmartKey system since the mechnical key can only be used to unlock the front door. You still need a key fob to turn on the car. The price you mentioned is pretty normal. If you're looking for cheaper, try getting a key fob on eBay and then bring it to your dealer for programming.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 04:44 PM

The Prius doesn't save you any money. They could have bought an Echo and would have saved $10,000 and still saved on gas. I'm not a big fan of any car in the made in last 7-8 years. They are engineering them so you have to take them back to the stealerships to have them serviced for such things as a freaking oil change. Today's cars have laser cut smart keys, black boxes and host of gadgets that aren't needed, and make it harder and more expensive to maintain.
Best of luck.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 13, 2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by the_glassman
The Prius doesn't save you any money. They could have bought an Echo and would have saved $10,000 and still saved on gas. I'm not a big fan of any car in the made in last 7-8 years. They are engineering them so you have to take them back to the stealerships to have them serviced for such things as a freaking oil change. Today's cars have laser cut smart keys, black boxes and host of gadgets that aren't needed, and make it harder and more expensive to maintain.
Best of luck.
This needs repeating. So I am quoting you for emphasis. Especially the bolded part.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 05:52 PM

A key for my Renault Clio costs 200 euros... So I'd say that's a normal price.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2006, 06:16 PM

Eh, the key for my VW cost $3, and i get 50mpg with it. Lesson here, dont buy over priced stuff.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 06:53 PM

Read your owner's manual, it might very well have the instructions on how to reprogram a key fob. If not, you might find instructions on teh intarweb. Then get a replacement on E-bay.

My VW remote-entry key fob went dead one day, and just for kicks I called the dealership and asked what it would get a new one. They said it would cost $75 for a "refurbished" keyless entry unit and then another $40 to re-program it. And keep in mind this is just for the keyless entry part, not for the key itself!

All I did to fix it was open the darn thing up, replace the small disc battery, close it, and follow the instructions in the manual to re-program it. Total cost: $3 or so (and only that much because I got the battery at the grocery store) and about 10 minutes of my time.

I think the "refurbished" units they sell are just the units from the last poor schmoe who paid $75 + $40, with a new battery installed!

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dork.
My VW remote-entry key fob went dead one day, and just for kicks I called the dealership and asked what it would get a new one. They said it would cost $75 for a "refurbished" keyless entry unit and then another $40 to re-program it. And keep in mind this is just for the keyless entry part, not for the key itself!!

I would expect that was for a whole unit not just the battery. Perhaps ask them how much for a battery? I had a keyless entry on an accord die a few years ago and the dealership changed the battery for free.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 07:41 PM

Get used to it, the lesson is not to loose the keys to any modern car. They all have (well UK ones do anyway) chips in the keys that deactivate the engine immobiliser, these have to be 'paired' to the car as the sequence changes each time the car is started (this stops people scanning finding the frequency, and using it to nick the car. That along with all the 'plip' circuitry going on in there makes the key a fairly complex bit of black plastic. Lots of new cars come with a 'set' of keys, A pair of full main keys, a Valet key (only works the immobiliser, no remote) and a blank key (just a regular key, no electronics). The full set can run into a few hundred pounds, it's something you should make sure you get if you buy used.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 08:39 PM

I recall reading something on Slashdot that said after all the math, the only real benefit you get from a Hybrid is the environmentaly cleaner output.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 13, 2006, 09:33 PM

The Prius doesn't save you any money. They could have bought an Echo and would have saved $10,000 and still saved on gas.
Prius ≠ Echo

I always find it odd when people make this argument. The Prius is a mid-size. The Echo is a sub-compact. And the included features are totally different too.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Prius ≠ Echo

I always find it odd when people make this argument. The Prius is a mid-size. The Echo is a sub-compact. And the included features are totally different too.
The point it, most people think of Hybrids as some big money saver, when in fact they aren't really saving you all that much money. Both cars are basic transport that get you from A to B. So that's close enough for me. I don't need BT or HID lights on my ecno box thank you!

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit240
Eh, the key for my VW cost $3, and i get 50mpg with it. Lesson here, dont buy over priced stuff.
I guess all VW keys were not born equal. Replacing a keyfob on mine would cost me something like $300....

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Feb 14, 2006, 01:16 AM

I'd get a hybrid just to reduce dependency on oil and be better for the environment.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2006, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Corpse of Chewbacca
I'd get a hybrid just to reduce dependency on oil and be better for the environment.
And what happens to the batteries when they go dead? Hybrids are for those who need to be the first kid on their block to have some different. I like the idea, but I'm not going to pay thousands extra, so I can save a third of that in gas.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2006, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
A key for my Renault Clio costs 200 euros... So I'd say that's a normal price.
oh my goodness, that is freaking expensive, better do a backup just now !

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2006, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb
oh my goodness, that is freaking expensive, better do a backup just now !

And that's a normal Key on my Clio, I wouldn't dare to ask what that keyless entry card on our Vel Satis and Espace costs !

The thing is, if you lose your key they have to replace the entire key assembly thing in your steering column + new keys with chips in them + programming the damn thing. And I only have 1 key left, so if something happens to that...

Oh and I'm not even including the price for Renault to come and pick up your car when you're stuck somewhere without your keys !

Like Mediaman_12 said:

Get used to it, the lesson is not to loose the keys to any modern car.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 14, 2006, 06:17 AM

Hybrids wouldn't be as attractive without their tax incentives. OTOH, the tax incentives do indeed exist, which makes them more attractive.

The point it, most people think of Hybrids as some big money saver, when in fact they aren't really saving you all that much money. Both cars are basic transport that get you from A to B. So that's close enough for me. I don't need BT or HID lights on my ecno box thank you!
Why don't you ride a bicycle instead of drive a car? Cuz that's essentially the argument you're making.

For most people buying a Prius, the Echo isn't really a good alternative.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2006, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
And that's a normal Key on my Clio, I wouldn't dare to ask what that keyless entry card on our Vel Satis and Espace costs !
I like the new ones you don't need to get out of your pocket, a-la Mercedes-Benz, place it inside a nice wallet and forget about it.

The thing is, if you lose your key they have to replace the entire key assembly thing in your steering column + new keys with chips in them + programming the damn thing. And I only have 1 key left, so if something happens to that...
Are you sure about it?, the Clio users manual says you can have up to a pair of keys (the ones including the lock button, ( they name it 'telemando' in my country ) not the 'old fashioned' one with no button on it that comes as spare, this makes a total of four keys for your car.

Oh and I'm not even including the price for Renault to come and pick up your car when you're stuck somewhere without your keys !
Hum, doesn't your insurance include that?, insurances are freaking expensive to leave out such detail.

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 09:56 AM

Hum, doesn't your insurance include that?, insurances are freaking expensive to leave out such detail.
Yes, and too freaking expensive to add that sort of coverage, too!

All this grief aside, I have to say I am truly impressed by the folks' Prius. At 6'3" I never thought I'd fit comfortably. But it's great, great ride. Acceleration is even great - with one or two passengers it's zippy. With four, I really notice how it takes a hit on hills (as does mileage). Aside from unnecessarily "smart" features like SmartKeys, I think it makes a lot of sense: cutting way down on vehicular weight while moving way up on engine efficiency.

Thanks for youse guys' insights... I may try eBaying for the folks, esp. if it turns out you really can re-program it yourself as some discussions at PriusChat seem to suggest.

macsfromnowon
Feb 14, 2006, 09:56 AM

Insurance might be nice. Given it's cost these days, most folks have a deductible greater than cost of even these outrageous key fobs.

Besides, if I found an insurance co. dumb enough to insure ME against my own stupidity and forgetfulness... they'd soon be bankrupt

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2006, 03:01 PM

I like the new ones you don't need to get out of your pocket, a-la Mercedes-Benz, place it inside a nice wallet and forget about it.
Yep, we have those in the Vel Satis and Espace.

Are you sure about it?, the Clio users manual says you can have up to a pair of keys (the ones including the lock button, ( they name it 'telemando' in my country ) not the 'old fashioned' one with no button on it that comes as spare, this makes a total of four keys for your car.
Pretty sure. It's the black key with one button to open and close. My uncle has a Kangoo to transport stuff with and he lost the keys once and it cost him 200 or 250 euros to replace. The same type of key.
The Clio does indeed, normally, come with a second key but I got my Clio second hand and it only came with one key unfortunately.

I wouldn't know, I've never checked what my insurance includes. It's technically my mother's insurance anyway since an insurance for a 1.6 clio for someone of my age (20) would be incredibly expensive here. Probably more than 1000 euros a year.

I do know that my insurance doesn't cover me when I hit a deer

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet
Yes, and too freaking expensive to add that sort of coverage, too!

All this grief aside, I have to say I am truly impressed by the folks' Prius. At 6'3" I never thought I'd fit comfortably. But it's great, great ride. Acceleration is even great - with one or two passengers it's zippy. With four, I really notice how it takes a hit on hills (as does mileage). Aside from unnecessarily "smart" features like SmartKeys, I think it makes a lot of sense: cutting way down on vehicular weight while moving way up on engine efficiency.

Thanks for youse guys' insights... I may try eBaying for the folks, esp. if it turns out you really can re-program it yourself as some discussions at PriusChat seem to suggest.
If the key was stolen from their house in a break-in, then it might be covered under homeowner's insurance? The loss might even be deductible from their taxes...

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 10:54 PM

Ah, thank you, Person Man... maybe a tax deduction. We'll look into that. (Too large a deductible on homeowners' policy.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules