Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Boinc 5.4

Boinc 5.4
kenn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2006, 08:33 AM

BOINC 5.4.9 is out!

lepetitmartien
May 12, 2006, 08:39 AM

Yep, going to install it in a few hours, once my stock of WU is done.
MacMusic.Org says "Hi all!" :)
G5 desktop 1.8, 900 MHz frontbus (2003 model)
Latest wisdom file for it on demand, just PM me :)

lepetitmartien
May 12, 2006, 10:07 PM

Installed and running.

kenn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2006, 12:18 PM

Does it seem to run through WUs faster? Or should I wait until Shaktai releases optimized clients? Optimized clients is all I have for my poor old sawtooth to barely keep up with the other speed demons on this team.

lepetitmartien
May 14, 2006, 01:20 PM

Don't confuse BOINC and the client.

BOINC is the host, the benefit is way less important than an optimization of the client itself. It's more important on the rhythm the calls for new WU are made. Maybe the Great Ancients here can be more precise than me… The 5.4.9 version is prefered to run the enhanced, new features and a new way to report credits internally. But you can run the optimized BOINC still, but don't expect the right relationship on the credit you ask and the ones credited.

The client, it's the part the most worth of optimization. The optimized client for SETI is processing WU faster for 2 reasons, it's WAY faster and it does a less thorough job. The official Enhanced client is slower because it's not as optimized as it could be… (rant rant) and the job it does on enhanced WU (which can't run on the "old" client) is more in depth. check the FAQ in writing in the seti forums, worth a read

So, you can use the optimized version still but by the end of the month you'll have to move to Enhanced, or you'll have nothing to crunch, that's why it's time for the great guys who are working on the optimized versions to move on the enhanced too. Just when they had a really cool client… sigh.

To give you an idea, I'm going from 624 rac/day to less than 400 now and going down… sigh

reader50
Administrator
May 16, 2006, 02:04 AM

mikkyo has a couple 5.4.9 BOINC builds in Universal Binaries. Not the same as optimized clients, and they are beta, but they are free downloads. Let him know if they work ok.

jedimstr
May 16, 2006, 07:32 AM

Not to be nitpicky but the actual terminology from Berkeley is:

BOINC Client: the general Distributed Computing software that connects to DC servers. BOINC stands for Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing.

SETI@Home and others like CPDN and Einstein@Home are termed Applications that run under the BOINC Client.

BOINC Client official download page: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php
SETI@Home official Application version list: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/apps.php

The BOINC intro info: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/intro_user.php

Ok.... so I am nitpicky
----------------------------------------------------
Jedi's Lair: Reviews, Tips, and the RickyCam
----------------------------------------------------
Jedi's Photos: Living life one shutter click at a time...

lepetitmartien
May 16, 2006, 09:20 AM

You are nit-picky, but it's for our own good

OneMacGuy
Senior User
May 16, 2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by kenn
BOINC 5.4.9 is out!
I installed the 5.4.9 client on an Athlon 64 box and it just finished it's first WU. I got less than half the number of points for the same type WU of the same duration that I got when running the optimized crunch3r client. That really sucks, does anyone know if there are going to be optimized clients for 5.4.9 (Windoze version)?
Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

brysonda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2006, 02:32 PM

My understanding of the new reward scheme is that it does not really use the benchmarks to generate credits. Rather, it keeps track of how many FFTs are performed and then grants credit based on that. The loss of credit is due to the lack of optimization within the setiathome_enhanced application. An optimized application will perform the same number of FFTs for a work unit, but within a shorter period of time. Thus it should get the same credit, but be able to do more of them over time yeilding a higher RAC. In effect, I think that having an optimized client (BOINC itself) will not be particularly important in the future. Optimized applications (workers) will continue to be extremely important.

Gecko_r7
Forum Regular
May 16, 2006, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by reader50
mikkyo has a couple 5.4.9 BOINC builds in Universal Binaries. Not the same as optimized clients, and they are beta, but they are free downloads. Let him know if they work ok.
Mikkyo: I've been running it for a day now, no problems. Haven't noticed any differences compared to the 5.4.9 distributed build, EXCEPT that overall, the benchmarks are the highest ever for my G4 DP 1.33. Floating point is @ 20% lower than Opt 5.2.13 Superbench, but reported Integer Mips is @ 60+ % higher. That being said, benchmarking shouldn't have any impact on S. Enhanced and It's my understanding (unless I'm mistaken) that Floating point MIPs is more impactful anyway for the benchmarks to affect claimed credit on S. Standard WUs. I'm only getting maybe 15% 4.18 units in my cache w/ 85% being Enhanced WUs. Takes so long to crunch these Enhanced WUs, it may take a few days before it crunches a standard WU and I can see what is reported.

lepetitmartien
May 27, 2006, 01:02 PM

I've tried to use the beta but i must have done something wrong, it couldn't connect at BOINC startup. Can someone write in full how to use the beta 5.4.9 CLI (gui compatible) in a GUI environment? I must have done something wrong somewhere…

Forum Links
Forum Rules