Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > College Musician with questions.

College Musician with questions.
micahthompson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2006, 04:30 AM

Hi, I had a few questions about the MacBook, and the included software. I'm just your not so average freshman in college recuperating from a critical illness. I guess I only have a few main questions:

1. What productivity software is included as far as word processing/SS/presentation goes? I plan to use the notebook I end up getting for school and as a recording box.

2. How "good" is GarageBand as far as recording for a band goes, I.E. 4-10 tracks? Also, are the built-in effects decent, or more for podcasting? Also, is GarageBand original or is it based off another suite? I already know Cubase fairly well. I play mainly for worship at church, so ideally what I'd like to be able to do is: Send a dry signal from the mixer to the computer, track it, and then use built in effects or my Midiverb to sweeten up the mix. As far as live recording goes anyway.

3. Since OS X is based off UNIX, is the GUI more similar to Linux, or the old mac OS GUI? I know both fairly well. Years of fixing those damned PowerMac 5400's. OK, maybe months, but it felt like years.

So, thats basically it, I'm sure more questions will arise as I start making a firm decision. I probably could have searched some of this, but I like introductions.

Thanks.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2006, 10:33 AM

Hi, welcome to the forum! I won't be too helpful (not a musician), but I'll do what I can:

1. The MacBook, unfortunately, does not include any word processor out of the box, unless you count trials of MS Office and iWork '06. In my opinion, Microsoft Office is a very nice office suite and well worth the investment. Technically it is not universal yet, which means it runs through Rosetta translation. But for the most part, Office does not run noticeably slower. And if you're really strapped for cash. NeoOffice 2.0 has reached alpha for Intel machines, is 100% free, and is surprisingly adequate.

2. No clue... but I do believe that GarageBand is a 100% original program, though I could be mistaken.

3. The Mac OS GUI (aka Aqua) is by no means similar to either KDE or Gnome. It bears resemblance to the classic GUI, but for the most part is its own beast. My best advice to you is to make your way to an Apple store and play around with any Mac. Try feeling your way through the GUI, see how you like it before you make any firm decision.

Good luck, and feel free to post any more questions you have!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
2. No clue... but I do believe that GarageBand is a 100% original program, though I could be mistaken.
Right on the money with 1 and 3, however Garageband is based off of Logic. It's really a slimmed-down version of Logic Express.

However, it's definitely good enough for the 4-10 track recording the OP is looking for, as long as you have an interface that accepts 4-10 inputs.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

austincabot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2006, 02:52 PM

Im in the same place. I just graduated from high school and am going to college. I needed a small laptop that would do everything i needed.

1. MS Office 2004 is great. Get two friends together and split the cost. It comes with three installs. Comes out to about $50 a person. I saw it on sale at a large chain store, i forget where, for $100, this week only.

2. As far as music goes, I play regularly at church and also run an open mic night at a local coffee shop. I started using GarageBand to record live sessions, but qiuckly decided I didnt like it. There were just not enough features for me. The editing of already recorded tracks was very minimal. I have a presonus firebox that I now use with Cubase. I run a mix off the board directly into the firebox and then use a mic to mic the room. As far as 4-10 inputs go, just make sure you have the right interface, like what was already said.

If you already know how to use cubase, keep using it. Depending on what version you have, you may have to download a patch to install it on OS X 10.4. Contact Steinberg on this. If you plan on recording anything over two tracks and doing any live monitoring, i strongly suggest upgrading the ram. I went with 2GB from OWC and the thing records perfectly. 1GB should be enough, but it never hurts to have too much.

Moral of the story - MS Office for mac is a worthy investment, especailly when you factor in compatability with all other microsoft word, excel, and powerpoint applications.

Garageband is alright for recording, but if you are anything like me, you want more ways to tweak the tracks like cubase offeres.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2006, 04:28 PM

A quick note about Office: Check with your school's computer store, you can get some really good discounts. I just checked, and I can get Office 2004 Pro for Mac (including Virtual PC) for $70. Since you're getting an intel, you can probably just sell VPC and recoup most of the cost there. But BEFORE you buy Office, definintely check out NeoOffice. It is nearly identical to Office, has pretty much all of the same features, and it's FREE!

micahthompson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2006, 07:01 PM

Yeah, The only real reason I need Office is too be able to print on my parents PC, and I can do that with RTF if I absolutely have to.

Yeah, GarageBand seemed like it was more suited for podcasting to me. Oh well, I can pick up cubase if I need to.

I may end up trying out NeoOffice though, if it's free and pretty close to the same.

now I just have to scrape up and fork out the money =/

Thanks.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2006, 03:37 AM

Your MacBook will also come with TextEdit. I have NeoOffice and a couple other WPs (Word and Mellel), but hardly ever use anything but TextEdit (along with OmniOutliner, which came with my PowerBook). It does almost everything most users need in a WP. For presentations, NeoOffice has worked fine for me in the rare cases I've needed to use it.

jchen
Jun 30, 2006, 06:14 PM

If you go to a large university, you can typically pick up the latest copy of Office (Office 2003 for XP or 2004 for OS X) for around $20. Another thing is that some universities have some type of Software Remote network infrastructure which allows students to remotely run popular applications off campus servers. I am presently working at Purdue University this summer (sophomore at the University of Texas) and I end up using Adobe Acrobat via this method all the time. I am not noticing a significant slowdown for everyday tasks so you may want to hold out and find out what your university offers. As a casual Photoshop user, this option is good enough for me and the price simply cannot be beat (free).

micahthompson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2006, 06:54 PM

Yeah, I was going to check the C-Store for that. I'm going to a smaller Community College for their nursing program, so I don't expect the store to have much besides books and clothing, I may be able to get on a K-12 purchasing plan though. I guess I'll just wait and see.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by brettcamp
Your MacBook will also come with TextEdit. I have NeoOffice and a couple other WPs (Word and Mellel), but hardly ever use anything but TextEdit (along with OmniOutliner, which came with my PowerBook). It does almost everything most users need in a WP.
Concur. TextEdit is my preferred choice of WP at the moment.

To the OP: If you're familiar with Cubase, use that. Garageband is very much a toy. A lot of people won't agree with my opinion on that but I'm right.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

micahthompson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2006, 08:16 PM

Has anyone tried Audacity? I've used the PC version, but not the Mac.

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by micahthompson
Has anyone tried Audacity? I've used the PC version, but not the Mac.
I've just started to investigate recording as well .... Audacity will no where near fulfill your needs ... it's limited ... buggy .... for very simple use.

I am looking at getting a mac mini ..... learning on Garageband and then upgrading to Logic Express or Logic ..

The beauty of logic is that is an Apple app and is totally integrated with the system ... you will never have to worry about development and continuation of the program ...
The price is right too ...

Go to the apple site .... there is a great demo on Logic with Quiktime movies ...

I plan on using an 8 channell PreSonus Firepod to input my tracks .... I have heard nothing but good things about it .....

That's just my opinion .... good luck
Tiger 10.4.8

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by bergy
I've just started to investigate recording as well .... Audacity will no where near fulfill your needs ... it's limited ... buggy .... for very simple use.
I couldn't disagree with you more. It's not limited in the slightest, it is a very full-featured stereo audio editor. And I've been running it for over a year now and I have yet to encounter many (if any) bugs.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules