Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't Change "Open With" in Get Info

Can't Change "Open With" in Get Info
bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2006, 10:41 AM

Hello there ...

I just installed 10.4.8 on my machine ... It has only one account ... administrator.

I have some files on cd ... quicktime aiff ... that are opening first in quicktime .. and then itunes opens right after ...

I just want to open them in iTunes only and always ... however ... when I go to change the "open with " in get info ... I get this message ...

"You don't have the privileges to change the application for this document only. Do you want to change all your Quicktime Player documents to open with the application iTunes?
This change will apply to all QuickTime Player documents with extension aiff."

When I press continue on this message box ...nothing happens ...

Under "Ownership and Permissions" it says "you can only read"

I have Repaired the Disk and Permissions from the install disk thus far

Any suggestions....?
Tiger 10.4.8

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2006, 12:03 PM

Anything on the actual CD itself is going to be read-only. Drag them to your hard drive, amd they should become "yours," permission-wise. There was a bug in OS 10.2 that casued AIFF files dragged from a CD to remain read-only, but that's long since been sorted, it seems.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

bergy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2006, 03:52 PM

Hello chris ..

thanks .. I don't know why I didn't think of that .... but it makes perfect sense ....
Tiger 10.4.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules