Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 48)
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I think you're going a little too deep into this and we've heard the last of the serpents from the Pythia prophesy.
OK thanks Pythia.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2007, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
You are confused. The accuser-six was a real Cylon.
Any reason for saying that? That's a pretty flip response to a well reasoned theory. She looked a little like a cylon but I see no reason to think either head-six or Shelley were actual cylons at all unless you have a better point than that I am confused. Is the Baltar in Caprica's head also a real Cylon?
( Last edited by mrtew; Feb 5, 2007 at 10:21 PM. )

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

finboy
Feb 5, 2007, 12:32 AM

After watching the last two episodes, I'm kinda leaning toward the idea that BSG jumped the shark with the whole "algae planet" thingy.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
After watching the last two episodes, I'm kinda leaning toward the idea that BSG jumped the shark with the whole "algae planet" thingy.
You mean because they had an algae planet, or just the past few episodes on the algae planet?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2007, 09:08 PM

Yeah, algae? WTF? What's next, Fonzie in short shorts?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2007, 10:29 PM

If BSG jumped the shark, I don't think it was with the Algae planet. I think it was skipping an entire year.

That said, I still enjoy the show.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2007, 11:36 AM

Its too early to call "Shark" on the show. Seriously, it like calling the superbowl at halftime. Anything can happen.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2007, 01:41 PM

Any show can jump the shark at any time. There isn't a minimum. Although I don't know that you can say a show jumps on the first episode. Shark jumping is going from being a good show to being a bad one.

Anyway, I'm still not certain that BSG has jumped, but it's feeling a little like it. It sort of was back during the "Roslin the Prohpet" days too.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 02:02 PM

The strange thing for me is first season was the best. That is pretty much unheard of for sci-fi.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

andi*pandi
Feb 6, 2007, 02:03 PM

I was peeved there was no new ep this week. Unless Tivo failed to record it???

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I was peeved there was no new ep this week. Unless Tivo failed to record it???
Oh man, you missed Adama's death?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2007, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Shocked me too. I'm surprised nobody brought it up until now. I just hope they don't bring him back again as a Cylon or something.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2007, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
That was pretty cool, but the Zarek/Roslin scene was what really got to me. I didn't know you could do that with strawberries.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
Any show can jump the shark at any time. There isn't a minimum. Although I don't know that you can say a show jumps on the first episode. Shark jumping is going from being a good show to being a bad one.
Yeah, but it's usually tough to tell when a show has jumped the shark except in hindsight.
Anyway, I'm still not certain that BSG has jumped, but it's feeling a little like it. It sort of was back during the "Roslin the Prohpet" days too.
There have definitely been times when BSG was in danger of jumping, but it's managed to recover. That's the kicker: when a show really jumps the shark, there's no going back.

andi*pandi
Feb 6, 2007, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
That was pretty cool, but the Zarek/Roslin scene was what really got to me. I didn't know you could do that with strawberries.
aww, dammit. I'm an Adama/Roslin 'shipper.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 07:21 PM

Yeah, the show has definitely not jumped the shark, but it is guilty of frequently swimming under the shark. (or something)

It seems like whenever they stick to the main plot, the show is great... but whenever they have a self contained episode with some random plot element, it always is filled with groan inducing scenes.

At any rate, does anyone know how many episodes are left in season 3?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 07:53 PM

I think 8. We're in two episodes into the season, right?
Rapture
Taking a Break....

next up
The Woman King (weird title...)
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 08:51 PM

My friend just called me to tell me that he was standing next to Gaita in line at the grocery store in downtown Toronto. I wanna run over and bug him

What's he doing here anyway, he should be off in B.C. filming!

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
I think 8. We're in two episodes into the season, right?
Rapture
Taking a Break....

next up
The Woman King (weird title...)
7, actually. We're 13 in and there are 20 this season.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2007, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
My friend just called me to tell me that he was standing next to Gaita in line at the grocery store in downtown Toronto. I wanna run over and bug him

What's he doing here anyway, he should be off in B.C. filming!
Heh. A lot of them don't actually live there as you're probably aware.

I used to see this woman once in a while in Toronto at my grocery store, but I think her show was in Vancouver too. Actually, she even used to have a summer job at the local sports shop, which was amusing since all the high school sales geeks were always completely non-functional when she was around.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 12:54 PM

Heh. A lot of them don't actually live there as you're probably aware.
Ya, I just didn't think any of them lived in Toronto. I think they finished filming this season though so he must be on break.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 01:15 PM

The 5th season is going to be the last one? Right?

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
The 5th season is going to be the last one? Right?
No official word but RDM has said he has always had a 5 year plan for the show. The could easily be cancelled by the end of 4 though.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 02:06 PM

Cancelled? I thought the show was doing pretty well? My biggest fear was always seeing them lose some of the actors.

I was happy to hear that they were ending at 5, because most shows go on way to long. The candle that burns twice as bright last half as long, so to speak.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 02:20 PM

Cancelled? I thought the show was doing pretty well? My biggest fear was always seeing them lose some of the actors.
The ratings are dropping each season and even though it is an HD show most channels don't even show it in HD.

It is a fantastic show but in the end they just look at the ratings and if they aren't high enough to justify the cost they axe it no matter how cool it is.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 02:29 PM

Weird. I know my tiny little microcosm doesn't mean much, but amongst my friends, they show is gaining a lot of steam. It seems just about everyone I know is starting to get interested in the show.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 04:28 PM

Weird. I know my tiny little microcosm doesn't mean much, but amongst my friends, they show is gaining a lot of steam. It seems just about everyone I know is starting to get interested in the show.
Same with me and my friends. In season 1 I was the only person watching in my posse. Now I got at least 7 that watch it religiously every week and buy the DVD's.

The ratings show a decline though partly due to the different worldwide schedules and mid season breaks.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2007, 11:32 PM

And he has returned...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2007, 12:10 AM

And he has returned...
I thought of this thread immediately when I saw Baltar in the cell.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2007, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker View Post
The ratings are dropping each season and even though it is an HD show most channels don't even show it in HD.
That's the worst thing about having a HD TV. You buy the set. You get the HD cable. You rent the DVR. You watch HD shows that almost HAVE to be seen in HD to be truly appreciated and there's still a stupid disconnect and they look like crap. Why the F don't they broadcast EVERYTHING in HD by now? Forgodssake it's the 21st century. Wasn't HD supposed to be universal by 1991 or something? Is it that much more expensive to broadcast in hi-def? They show Letterman every night in HD and it just makes him look uglier but Battlestar and Star Trek etc are shown in 1960's blurryvision even though they're filmed in 1080??? WHY??????????

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2007, 12:44 AM

Same with me and my friends. In season 1 I was the only person watching in my posse. Now I got at least 7 that watch it religiously every week and buy the DVD's.

The ratings show a decline though partly due to the different worldwide schedules and mid season breaks.
Where did you see the ratings? I haven't seen them. I'm not surprised the ratings are declining though.

Season 1 was the best. The later seasons are good but are getting way complex and some of the episodes sometimes play like a melodramatic soap opera.

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
That's the worst thing about having a HD TV. You buy the set. You get the HD cable. You rent the DVR. You watch HD shows that almost HAVE to be seen in HD to be truly appreciated and there's still a stupid disconnect and they look like crap. Why the F don't they broadcast EVERYTHING in HD by now? Forgodssake it's the 21st century. Wasn't HD supposed to be universal by 1991 or something? Is it that much more expensive to broadcast in hi-def? They show Letterman every night in HD and it just makes him look uglier but Battlestar and Star Trek etc are shown in 1960's blurryvision even though they're filmed in 1080??? WHY??????????
That BSG isn't presented consistently in HD pisses me off to no end.

P.S. I'm not buying Season 3 on DVD. It's HD DVD or nothing.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2007, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
That's the worst thing about having a HD TV. You buy the set. You get the HD cable. You rent the DVR. You watch HD shows that almost HAVE to be seen in HD to be truly appreciated and there's still a stupid disconnect and they look like crap.

Why the F don't they broadcast EVERYTHING in HD by now? Forgodssake it's the 21st century. Wasn't HD supposed to be universal by 1991 or something?
2009, actually. And frankly, I suspect that this date will be pushed back, given that HD currently has only about 20% of the installed base.
Is it that much more expensive to broadcast in hi-def?
No; it's that much more expensive to buy an HDTV. Even now, in 2007, it's almost impossible to find anything HD for less than $500, and that's simply more than most people are able and/or willing to pay for a television.

EDIT: After a lot of searching, I was able to find one HDTV bigger than 20 inches that was under $500. It was a 27" CRT-based setup, but from the specs it looked like it only went up to 1080i, and in any case it was 4:3, not widescreen. It was, however, the only HDTV over 20 inches but under $500 that I could find.
They show Letterman every night in HD and it just makes him look uglier but Battlestar and Star Trek etc are shown in 1960's blurryvision even though they're filmed in 1080??? WHY??????????
Part of that -perhaps even much of it- is a limitation of plasma and LCD sets when they're not displaying in their native resolution. If you have an LCD computer monitor you can verify this yourself by setting the monitor to anything lower than the max: it'll look generally blurry and crappy. In other words, SD video actually looks worse on an HDTV than it would on an SDTV, and while there is no sinister conspiracy behind this, it certainly is awfully convenient for the makers of SDTVs.
( Last edited by Millennium; Feb 12, 2007 at 10:57 AM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2007, 10:14 AM

Actually, it IS that much more expensive to broadcast in HD. You can put several channels into the bandwidth of one HD channel, and it takes specialized boxes to decode HD channels too. SD-only boxes are much cheaper.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2007, 11:10 AM

Actually, it IS that much more expensive to broadcast in HD. You can put several channels into the bandwidth of one HD channel, and it takes specialized boxes to decode HD channels too. SD-only boxes are much cheaper.
I get HD both OTA and over cable and I don't have any boxes to decode the signal...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2007, 11:14 AM

I get HD both OTA and over cable and I don't have any boxes to decode the signal...
For OTA, your TV needs to have an HD decoder. Most HD TVs don't have one. The ones that do, cost more. For the majority of HD TVs that don't have an HD decoder, you need to get an external OTA HD decoder.

For cable, your cable box needs an HD decoder (except possibly in some instances I suppose where the HD already has one). Most cable boxes don't have one. The ones that do, cost more.

P.S. I've owned three different HD TVs, and my GF has one too. None of them has a built-in HD channel decoder.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2007, 11:24 AM

For OTA, your TV needs to have an HD decoder. Most HD TVs don't have one. The ones that do, cost more. For the majority of HD TVs that don't have an HD decoder, you need to get an external OTA HD decoder.

For cable, your cable box needs an HD decoder (except possibly in some instances I suppose where the HD already has one). Most cable boxes don't have one. The ones that do, cost more.

P.S. I've owned three different HD TVs, and my GF has one too. None of them has a built-in HD channel decoder.
It's been mandated by the FCC that all TVs include an ATSC tuner by next year. If you go into any big box retailer now, 99% of their TVs will have these built in tuners. The cost has come down significantly and it's now not really more expensive than buying a monitor without a tuner.

And you don't need a cable box to decode HD signals over cable as long as they're sent unencrypted, which all the major cable providers do.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2007, 11:30 AM

It's been mandated by the FCC that all TVs include an ATSC tuner by next year. If you go into any big box retailer now, 99% of their TVs will have these built in tuners. The cost has come down significantly and it's now not really more expensive than buying a monitor without a tuner.

And you don't need a cable box to decode HD signals over cable as long as they're sent unencrypted, which all the major cable providers do.
1) Most existing TVs in people's homes do not have HD tuners.
2) Not everyone lives in the US.

It's no surprise that broadcasters still often prefer splitting bandwidth into SDTV channels.

Visnaut
Senior User
Feb 12, 2007, 11:47 AM

Aren't there other threads on HD already?

Anyway, the only part of yesterday's episode that I liked was the return of head Baltar. I'm thoroughly convinced that both head Six and head Baltar are either one and the same, or controlled by the same outside entity.

It's interesting to note that while head Six was for a short stint insinuating that Baltar might be a cylon, head Baltar is apparently guiding Six to be more human. And the one defining quality he specifies is being self-centered, much like Baltar is.

I also don't understand why Zarek is so worried about Baltar's trial. Why would people object to it?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2007, 11:58 AM

Trials of people like that are at best a circus, and at worst, fodder for civil unrest and violence.

This type of civil unrest could be especially bad with thousands of people living in squalor, on a ragtag fleet of ships.

P.S. I almost wish they'd execute Baltar just to get rid of head-six.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2007, 12:13 PM

I'm glad to see head-Baltar back as well. I like the character because it seems to turn the whole thing on it's head.

That said, "The Woman King" (Which I still can't figure out the title's meaning) was not all exciting. Maybe it'll have some importance later, but I want to get back to the action.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2007, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
Anyway, the only part of yesterday's episode that I liked was the return of head Baltar.
Same here. Well that and Helo shirtless

Anywho, this weeks was a bit of a bore and next week's looks equally boring. Hope the action gets going soon.

So what do you think Caprica 6 is up to? Is she there to rescue Baltar, to try to be human, or does she have no clue yet?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2007, 12:31 PM

Hmmm... For some reason Gabrielle Rose (who was in The Sweet Hereafter) hasn't been credited (yet) for being in Battlestar Galactica.

Visnaut
Senior User
Feb 12, 2007, 12:33 PM

So what do you think Caprica 6 is up to? Is she there to rescue Baltar, to try to be human, or does she have no clue yet?
You know what? Probably all three. And you can bet they are all part of God's plan.

Yeah, next week's looks ho-hum. I can't wait for the trial to begin. When Caprica Six takes the stand, there will be good opportunity for head Six and head Baltar interplay.

I wonder if Six will offer intel in return for Baltar's life.

finboy
Feb 12, 2007, 02:13 PM

Yeah, but it's usually tough to tell when a show has jumped the shark except in hindsight.

There have definitely been times when BSG was in danger of jumping, but it's managed to recover. That's the kicker: when a show really jumps the shark, there's no going back.
After last night, I'm convinced. I love the idea of the show, but that was a lot to watch for nothing. Gotta say though, it's better than the whole algae planet four-jump episode.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2007, 02:54 PM

After last night, I'm convinced. I love the idea of the show, but that was a lot to watch for nothing. Gotta say though, it's better than the whole algae planet four-jump episode.
Last nights episode wasn't incredibly stupid or off track though, it was just a slow character development episode and not worth getting all upset over.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2007, 03:00 PM

I t was a bit of a roundabout way to bring Helo back into the fold, but it wasn't a horrible episode. I was glad to get to see more of Cottle.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2007, 03:05 PM

So did Roslin say that "Baltar will have a trial and be found GUILTY"?

A showtrial is a bit off character for Roslin for me especially when no real justice is served by a mock trial.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2007, 03:06 PM

Actually, I thought it wasn't a bad episode. It just wasn't a great one. I liked the Dualla tease in it.

So did Roslin say that "Baltar will have a trial and be found GUILTY"?

A showtrial is a bit off character for Roslin for me especially when no real justice is served by a mock trial.
Well, pretty much all trials like this end up with a guilty verdict. The question is not if he is guilty, but how much. Does he deserve an execution? Jail for life? Jail for a short period?

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2007, 03:19 PM

Well, pretty much all trials like this end up with a guilty verdict. The question is not if he is guilty, but how much. Does he deserve an execution? Jail for life? Jail for a short period?
Ya I guess you're right. Still even during his confession when under the drugs he didn't say anything that showed he was guilty of anything specific and actually more of a victim as he was targeted by the Cylons before the attack.

My favorite part of the whole episode was when Roslin noticed 6 was talking to herself and kissing the air. It is about time someone noticed and I know people have noticed Baltar does it as well so I hope they put 2 and 2 together and address the issue.

On the religious issue, didn't those people have the same views on doctors as Jehovah's Witnesses?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses

Here is another interesting point:
"Witnesses believe that in the war of Armageddon, which they believe to be imminent, the wicked will be destroyed. The survivors of this event, along with individuals deemed worthy of resurrection, will form a new society and have the possibility of living forever in an earthly paradise."

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2007, 03:27 PM

Jehovah's Witnesses have nothing against doctors. They'll happily go see a doctor, and they'll happy accept a vaccination or undergo surgery. They hate blood transfusions though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules