Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Problem logging in with Netscape

Problem logging in with Netscape
Patrick
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 03:32 PM

After the updates, now I can't successfully log in using Netscape 4.78. It works to enter my username and pass and hit "login", but it says I'm logged out the next time I click on any link. Works fine using Internet Explorer 5, but I prefer using the other. Any idea what's going on?

EDIT: Wow, I just became elite!!! And it's only taken me 3 years (I don't post that much)

EDIT #2: Guess I should include the version number in the thread title.

EDIT #3 Hmm� last time I edited the subject to say "Problem logging in with Netscape 4.78" but I don't see any change. Yet it showed the newer one when I went to edit my post again.
( Last edited by Patrick; Aug 5, 2002 at 02:45 PM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2002, 12:30 AM

I have the same problem, Patrick, using the same browser.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Zim
Senior User
Aug 6, 2002, 01:49 PM

Same problem.

Netscape 4.78 on Solaris. Endless loop of logging in, getting Welcomed, then it forgets who I am.

Mike

elzinat
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2002, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Patrick:
EDIT #2: Guess I should include the version number in the thread title.

EDIT #3 Hmm� last time I edited the subject to say "Problem logging in with Netscape 4.78" but I don't see any change. Yet it showed the newer one when I went to edit my post again.
a new feature of vB is that there is a time limit for thread title changing (currently set to 5 minutes).
as for the problems with NS 4.78, i'll pass that along.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 7, 2002, 03:16 AM

Are you having this problem even after you check "Browse forums with cookies" in your User Options (Options is located in your User Center)?
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2002, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
Are you having this problem even after you check "Browse forums with cookies" in your User Options (Options is located in your User Center)?
Unfortunately one cannot even access User Options under Netscape 4.7.x. Once you login and attempt to access User Options from the User Center, you get logged out again. Cookies are definitely being used though, because it works fine in IE; I verified the option "Browse forums with cookies" is checked yes by browsing the options page with IE.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2002, 01:54 PM

I was in contact with vB a while back inquiring about their product. Back then they did not and did not expect to ever support Netscape or Mozilla. If it works fine, if not... oh well.

They test on IE 3.0 - the latest for Windows. Nothing else is promised (back then).

Zim
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 08:34 AM

No progress on this yet????

I even had trouble with Mozilla from home (tho Mozillaon Solaris at work seems to be fine)

Mike

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2002, 08:18 AM

Exactly the same problem here.. only I'm running Netscrape 6.2. I can log in.. but If i try to post a message, or alter any prefs etc.. It says I need to log in.. Even tho i just did! So now I have to bow to Microturds software and use IE just to use MacNN.
Thats lame..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2002, 05:56 PM

(cross-posted; sorry)

I have the same problem on Windows NT 4 and Netscape 4.6 on my work machine. Makes participating in these fora damn near impossible.

And people just saying "Well, you have plenty of options", please shut up.

At work, I DON'T have an option. I'm stuck with what the Sysadmins deign to make the standard install.

No problem on my home machine (10.2/Omniweb 4.1.1SP1)

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2002, 11:34 AM

So I take it there's nothing that can be done?

Pity.

I was enjoying the fora. Unfortunately, I am unable to post for most of the time I spend in front of a computer.

Look forward to my continued relative absence from these boards.

Tada,

-s*

Subzero Diesel949
Sep 12, 2002, 03:11 AM

I can confirm as well that NS 4.78 does not remember/support logins, while MSIE 5.x, OW, and Netscape 7 work just fine.

Haven't tried logging in with NS 4.x on a PC yet...

Forum Links
Forum Rules