Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dell Sale iPods - Received Them?

Dell Sale iPods - Received Them?
AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 21, 2003, 04:27 PM

Well today (5/21/03) I just got my new 15gig iPod that I ordered from Dell on 5/16/03 and I'm utterly amazed. Forget everything I said about not liking the cosmetic appeal of the new ones as much...maybe it was just because the ones at the Apple Store were all smudged up from millions of palms all over them, but this thing is beautiful! It's charging right now and I can't wait to transfer my music over to it & take some pics later tonight! Anyone else get their iPod from either Dell sale yet?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Ver de Terre
Forum Regular
May 21, 2003, 05:28 PM

My credit card has been billed, but the iPod apparently hasn't shipped yet, based on UPS's tracking information. I'm wondering if Dell forgot.

By the way, for anyone who's interested, the 10GB is now available on Dell's site for $269.10 ($299 - 10%).

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 21, 2003, 10:06 PM

Ahhh, removed the 15gig and 30gig and replaced it w/ the 10gig. At least we know there's no conflict of interests between Apple & Dell.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2003, 07:22 AM

My 15gb has an estimated ship date of "on or before may 30th".

hasn't shipped yet...

For those that have received theirs, did it come with the combo USB2/FW cable?
or the regular one?

M2

-Q-
May 22, 2003, 07:45 AM

I'm in the'on or before May 30' crowd too. Fortunately, I have my original 5 GB to keep me happy until then.

Duo
Forum Regular
May 22, 2003, 09:09 AM

I finally found the ipod on Dells website and no cool deal, oh well. The one thing I did notice is that the dell webpage doesn't load while using Safari, I get an error. I had to use IE YUCK!

Duo

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 22, 2003, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by m2bored:
For those that have received theirs, did it come with the combo USB2/FW cable?
or the regular one?

M2
It only comes with the proprietary FireWire-to-Dock/iPod cable and the FireWire 6 pin-to-4 pin adapter for Windows PCs that have a smaller 4-pin FireWire port.

There's no USB cable whatsoever in it, and there's a sticker on the box saying "USB connectivity coming soon."

Also, I don't think that when USB does become available for them that you can use FireWire *OR* USB on your Mac, it'll still be FireWire only, probably because Macs don't have USB2 yet.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Also, I don't think that when USB does become available for them that you can use FireWire *OR* USB on your Mac, it'll still be FireWire only, probably because Macs don't have USB2 yet.
The manual for the new iPods imply that it will work with USB 1.1, but that it will be very slow. I wouldn't be surprised if you will only be able to use USB on a windows machine though.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 22, 2003, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by jtc:
The manual for the new iPods imply that it will work with USB 1.1, but that it will be very slow. I wouldn't be surprised if you will only be able to use USB on a windows machine though.
Nah, this won't happen. It's already able to use FireWire on a Windows PC...its been this way even w/ the older iPods.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
May 22, 2003, 01:04 PM

I'll be getting 3 30 giggers today and one tomorrow.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 22, 2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
I'll be getting 3 30 giggers today and one tomorrow.

INSANE!!! Did you somehow get the discount on all of them under the same name, or did you get your hands on 3 other friend's credit cards?

So you ordered 4 30gig iPods from Dell and they've all shipped? You're gonna make a killing on eBay if that's where they're going!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2003, 03:09 PM

So you ordered 4 30gig iPods from Dell and they've all shipped? You're gonna make a killing on eBay if that's where they're going!
If so, that would explain why mine hasn't shipped...

mac_addict415
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2003, 07:38 PM

well I got mine today, and I am now going to have to send it to Apple becasue when my backlight is on, he pixels start to vibrate and shake. I am a little dissapointed in them. Also what color are your ipod backlights?

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2003, 07:48 PM

My 15 gig arrived today from Dell. I got it for my fianc� and even though I have a 20 gig iPod I think I'm jealous. At first I wasn't too sure about the redesigned buttons, but this thing is so damn slender.... :drool:

Keep the rubber side down!

Ver de Terre
Forum Regular
May 23, 2003, 02:52 AM

Well, it appears this model has stealth capabilities! No tracking data for several days as it crosses the country, and then--tada! Suddenly it's here.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 23, 2003, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by Ver de Terre:
Well, it appears this model has stealth capabilities! No tracking data for several days as it crosses the country, and then--tada! Suddenly it's here.
did they even tell you it had shipped? this may give hope to us 5/30ers....

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2003, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
I was originally given a 5/30 ship date - but it shipped two days after I ordered it.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 23, 2003, 03:06 PM

I ordered about 50 minutes before the deal ended on 5/15, got a 5/30/03 estimated ship date, and then on the morning of 5/16 I got a shipment notice. (15gig BTW)
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

boardsurfer
May 23, 2003, 04:04 PM

I ordered about 50 minutes before the deal ended on 5/15, got a 5/30/03 estimated ship date, and then on the morning of 5/16 I got a shipment notice. (15gig BTW)

(one more)

m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2003, 04:21 PM

I am happy for you....but I dont understand how/why this happens...

I ordered early in the day, and mine has the 5/30 date.

M2

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 23, 2003, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by m2bored:
I am happy for you....but I dont understand how/why this happens...

I ordered early in the day, and mine has the 5/30 date.

M2
Explain to the people who pre-ordered 17" PBs 1 hour after the keynote why people could get them in stores who hadn't pre-ordered a thing before there's got shipped...shipping is irrelevant to who ordered first in most cases.

BTW, I got the 10-pack of CD-RW's I ordered along w/ the iPod on 5/20 and the actual iPod came 5/21. Pictures are HERE .
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Ver de Terre
Forum Regular
May 23, 2003, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
Yes, I got the tracking number on 5/16, but it appears that it missed the departure scan leaving Texas or something, because there wasn't any location data until 5/22, the day it arrived.

donutogre
May 24, 2003, 07:47 PM

i've gotta ask...

what in gods name are you doing with 2 brand new ipods? didn't you just get that 10 gig one with your 17" that we heard so much about? i understand wanting the latest and greatest but you barely got a chance to break in the 10. are you gonna sell it?
~nate

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 25, 2003, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by donutogre:
i've gotta ask...

what in gods name are you doing with 2 brand new ipods? didn't you just get that 10 gig one with your 17" that we heard so much about? i understand wanting the latest and greatest but you barely got a chance to break in the 10. are you gonna sell it?
Well I've got nearly 20gigs of music, so I'll actually be using both. Plus, one or the other can second as a FireWire hard drive which will be nice to have as well. Also, I'm pretty sure one will end up with my girlfriend soon enough, just because.

And nope, I'm not gonna sell my 2nd gen., I look the looks of the 2nd gen. just as much as the new ones.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

donutogre
May 25, 2003, 11:43 AM

Well I've got nearly 20gigs of music, so I'll actually be using both. Plus, one or the other can second as a FireWire hard drive which will be nice to have as well. Also, I'm pretty sure one will end up with my girlfriend soon enough, just because.

And nope, I'm not gonna sell my 2nd gen., I look the looks of the 2nd gen. just as much as the new ones.
hehe...well giving it to your girlfriend will be a good way to score some points. i was thinking of doing the same thing w/my 10gig and picking up a 15...can't quite justify the cost yet. not that i dont wanna buy her an ipod, i'm just broke
~nate

catJesus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2003, 12:17 PM

are you latest dell ipod owners still having the same problems such as the static between track, songs not finishing, etc?

i ordered mine on the 15th around noonish and given 30th delivery and still no love.. why are they shipping the later orders first?

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
May 25, 2003, 04:34 PM

if any of you are selling a 5 gig iPod i am interested.

bstieritz
May 28, 2003, 01:16 AM

Jeez,

I look forward to the day when I can afford to just give iPods away as gifts to girlfriends . . . sheesh.

cheers,
brian

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 28, 2003, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by bstieritz:
Jeez,

I look forward to the day when I can afford to just give iPods away as gifts to girlfriends . . . sheesh.

cheers,
brian
No, no...lol, maybe "girlfriend" is just an overused, stereotypical word for "weekend mate", but this girl is much, much more to me than that.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 28, 2003, 09:10 AM

So who else is still waiting on their iPods? Mine hasn't budged from the "in production" status since I ordered.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 28, 2003, 09:15 AM

My 30GB still says "on or before May 30" and still no charge on my credit card.

iDORK
Forum Regular
May 28, 2003, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
So who else is still waiting on their iPods? Mine hasn't budged from the "in production" status since I ordered.
Still waiting.

boardsurfer
May 28, 2003, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by iDORK:
Still waiting.
ditto.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 28, 2003, 03:33 PM

yep... still waiting.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 28, 2003, 05:28 PM

Hmmm, strange indeed. Well I guess May 30 will roll around soon enough, and we shall see if Dell's estimate does like Apple's do and get myseteriously boosted back serveral weeks at the time.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
May 28, 2003, 05:45 PM

I'm still waiting on my 30gb as well. I'll be contacting Dell on the 30th if it hasn't moved past "In Production".

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 28, 2003, 06:29 PM

Hmmm, strange indeed. Well I guess May 30 will roll around soon enough, and we shall see if Dell's estimate does like Apple's do and get myseteriously boosted back serveral weeks at the time.
thank you, iPod receiver, for making us ever-so-optimistic about the wait for our ordered-BEFORE-you iPods.

m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2003, 06:40 PM

I opted for the 10GB refurb 2nd gen ipod in the applestore now...
I couldn't resist saving over $100

So maybe I will bump one of you up in the queue...

M2

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 28, 2003, 10:33 PM

FYI, some of the online resellers now show all iPod models in stock, so the channel must be filling again.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 28, 2003, 10:34 PM

Good point...it seems that May 30 estimated date may be accurate after all.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

chiara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2003, 01:35 PM

I ordered on the 19th with an estimated ship date of on or before May 29th. Today is the 29th, and no ipod. I called Dell and was told that it would be another 10 days. I asked for upgraded shipping, but was denied. They couldn't give me a new delivery date.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
May 29, 2003, 02:14 PM

I got the refurnished 10 GB iPod from the apple store great deals page. Just $209.99!!!

Huge deal, I think

Any advice from long time iPod users?

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 29, 2003, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by cenutrio:
Any advice from long time iPod users?
Enjoy.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

-Q-
May 29, 2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Steve:
I'm still waiting on my 30gb as well. I'll be contacting Dell on the 30th if it hasn't moved past "In Production".
I'm with you. Two weeks is more than enough time, especially as I'm seeing the 30 GB iPod in stock in every store...

boardsurfer
May 29, 2003, 03:13 PM

Why is Dell's site so jacked up? I use the confirmation email they sent me way back when to check the status of my iPod delivery. (still waiting). Anyway, I click on order status (from within outlook) and it always launches a different page. Sometimes it goes straight to what I want to see, sometimes I have to log in, just now, I had to start completely from scratch to find my order. How the heck does the same link from within Outlook generate so many different pages?

chiara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2003, 03:39 PM

Okay, I just received an email from Dell saying that my ipod would be delayed. New shipping date: On or before June 9th

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2003, 03:56 PM

There will be much bitching to Dell if my shipping date gets bumped again.

This is a graduation present, and 2 weeks is way more time than any manufacturer should have in shipping out something readily available. This isn't going to be here in time for graduation (June 1st), but I was planning on having it shortly after that.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2003, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by boardsurfer:
Why is Dell's site so jacked up? I use the confirmation email they sent me way back when to check the status of my iPod delivery. (still waiting). Anyway, I click on order status (from within outlook) and it always launches a different page. Sometimes it goes straight to what I want to see, sometimes I have to log in, just now, I had to start completely from scratch to find my order. How the heck does the same link from within Outlook generate so many different pages?
I imagine it's because they have the cookies set to time-out after a while. Depending on how long it's been since you visited the site, you either get right in, have to enter your password, or have to start all over. Just a guess though. <edit: Then again, I just got a really nasty "runtime error" when trying to check my order one their site, so they do have some problems.>

Anyone else think that Dell might not be all that motivated to get us our super-cheap iPods?
( Last edited by icruise; May 29, 2003 at 04:09 PM. )

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 29, 2003, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:

Anyone else think that Dell might not be all that motivated to get us our super-cheap iPods?
I have no idea what would make you say this! *runs away so not to get shot*

LoL, seriously though, am I the ONLY Dell orderer here to actually get his/her iPod?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2003, 04:28 PM

I have no idea what would make you say this! *runs away so not to get shot*

LoL, seriously though, am I the ONLY Dell orderer here to actually get his/her iPod?
I think it's the 30-gig folks who are having to wait. The 15GB I ordered shipped in 2 days.

Forum Links
Forum Rules