Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dell Sale iPods - Received Them?

Dell Sale iPods - Received Them? (Page 2)
AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 29, 2003, 04:37 PM

Ahhh, gotcha!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

boardsurfer
May 29, 2003, 04:38 PM

Currently one or more items are not available. Every effort is being made to complete your order.
Delayed 5/30/2003

Sku: A0114473 Quantity: 1
Description: IPOD MP3 PLAYER 15GB

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 29, 2003, 05:40 PM

yep.. same here. my 15 is delayed.

Ver de Terre
Forum Regular
May 29, 2003, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by flatcatch:
I think it's the 30-gig folks who are having to wait. The 15GB I ordered shipped in 2 days.
Not in my case. By some stroke of luck I received mine a week ago (5/22).

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2003, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Ver de Terre:
Not in my case. By some stroke of luck I received mine a week ago (5/22).
Apparently there is no logic whatsoever to the shipping process at Dell. I ordered my 15gig a virtually the last second of the offer. Perhaps people who have bought things in the past have priority? I bought a PC from them for a family friend, but that was a couple years ago. Who knows. I hope everyone gets their new toy soon!

Keep the rubber side down!

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 29, 2003, 07:06 PM

No logic whatsoever; I guess Apple isn't alone in crazy shipping patterns.

And the last time I bought something from Dell was a desktop PC in 1998, so they'd have no reason to favor my order...hope they all ship out soon!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

jdhindes
Forum Regular
May 29, 2003, 09:55 PM

I just checked my order status--it was due here today, May 29th! It is still "in production." Now I just got an email from Dell saying it would be delayed 10 days! I ordered a 30 gig Ipod. I've never had an ipod so I am looking forward to receiving it! Come on Dell, you can DO better than this!!!!

-Q-
May 29, 2003, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Ahhh, gotcha!
You're having a little to much fun with this. Don't make me come up there. It's not that far a drive...

-Q-
May 29, 2003, 09:58 PM

Apparently there is no logic whatsoever to the shipping process at Dell. I ordered my 15gig a virtually the last second of the offer. Perhaps people who have bought things in the past have priority?
If that were the case, I should have mine by now. It was only in March of this year that I ordered my flat panel from them.

Stupid shipping system.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 29, 2003, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
You're having a little to much fun with this. Don't make me come up there. It's not that far a drive...
Hehe, can't help it man...it was driving me NUTS to see people having their 17" PB shipped while mine just sat around though I ordered before them...finally my turn!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

catJesus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2003, 11:08 PM

Called and canceled my 15GB today and decided to go with the $199 refurb from apple.. Saved $120 and the old one will work with my car adapter (From pervious 5GB.. which I sold for 199 2 months ago!)

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 29, 2003, 11:25 PM

Good call mate...sounds like you got a deal by selling you 5gig when you did!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 07:08 AM

last night i checked my status and it was pushed back to June 6... needless to say, i was pissed. checked again just now though (7:08 EST) and it says 5/30 again, so maybe (i'm hoping!) they have enough today to ship mine...

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 09:05 AM

Meh. Order status of my 30GB still says "on or before May 30," which is today, and still no charge to my credit card.

Man, I have a LOT of charges at the iTunes Music Store!

PeterKG
Senior User
May 30, 2003, 10:31 AM

Maybe Apple is in no hurry to fill Dell's order, since they seem to be the only retailer selling iPods for less then Apple's suggested retail.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 11:09 AM

Dell still has to pay Apple whatever wholesale price they negotiated; the price for which they turn around and sell them is Dell's problem.

It might, though, have to do with the fact that Dell was one of the holdouts to re-sign their vendor agreement; maybe Apple is shipping to the good do-bee's first, which would also explain why Target won't have iPods until July.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
May 30, 2003, 11:26 AM

My ship date was bumped to June 6th now.

/calls Dell...

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

-Q-
May 30, 2003, 11:40 AM

Interesting. Mine is still showing a ship date of today. And I've received no e-mail update so maybe it will go today.

But I'm not holding my breath.

boardsurfer
May 30, 2003, 11:50 AM

Still at 5/30 ship date, but it's early. Stupid Dell.
I fully expect to receive that email soon.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by boardsurfer:
Still at 5/30 ship date, but it's early. Stupid Dell.
I fully expect to receive that email soon.
as do i, but i guess it doesn't make a difference. this is a father's day gift that i bought for myself. (it is really not as depressing as it sounds. i ordered it right when the deal was posted here because my wife was too busy at work.)

boardsurfer
May 30, 2003, 12:56 PM

right on time
we are experiencing an unexpected delay and will not be able to ship this order and any associated orders until on or before 6/10/2003.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
May 30, 2003, 01:56 PM

I called Dell, and the guy basically said he couldn't do anything and apologized.

I checked my order again, and it's back to an expected ship date of 5/30/03... which is weird. Earlier today it said 6/6/03.

Hopefully it ships today.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 02:01 PM

F*** Dell:

We have reviewed your order. Although we had anticipated being able to ship
your order sooner,

we are experiencing an unexpected delay and will not be able to ship this
order and

any associated orders until on or before 6/10/2003.

No action is required to proceed with the new date, however, if you do not
wish to wait,

you may cancel your order and receive a prompt refund.

If you have any questions, please contact Dell at 800-289-3355, extension
66966 or

email us at [email protected].

Please include your order number or customer number with any
correspondence.

We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 30, 2003, 02:43 PM

Same here.

-Q-
May 30, 2003, 03:32 PM

Just got the e-mail and just cancelled my order.

Interestingly, the guy said it looked like they stopped selling the 30 GB iPod in the system. And if you look on the Dell site under 'iPod', you only pull up the 10GB version.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 30, 2003, 03:37 PM

Why did you cancel? You don't think they will ever come through?

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Just got the e-mail and just cancelled my order.

Interestingly, the guy said it looked like they stopped selling the 30 GB iPod in the system. And if you look on the Dell site under 'iPod', you only pull up the 10GB version.
i recommend that the rest of you cancel your orders as well. thanks.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 04:02 PM

about 4pm EST now and just checked the order status page and it still says today is the ship date.. so i'm holding part of my breath, but not all of it.

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by ThisGuy:
i recommend that the rest of you cancel your orders as well. thanks.
Well... that depends if you want to go pay retail in protest instead of getting $80 off and free shipping. Waiting for backordered items seriously sucks though, I agree.

However, didn't all of us get an initial quote of May-30 to June-02 for the shipping date? I know the lucky ones were shipping in two days, but still. It's not like this went from a 24 hour ship estimate to 4 weeks. Regardless, here's a big ol' for Dell anyway!

MikeD
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Steve:
I called Dell, and the guy basically said he couldn't do anything and apologized.

I checked my order again, and it's back to an expected ship date of 5/30/03... which is weird. Earlier today it said 6/6/03.

Hopefully it ships today.
That's what they always say. They're never helpful. I bet he then asked if you wanted to cancel too right?
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 05:45 PM

Well... that depends if you want to go pay retail in protest instead of getting $80 off and free shipping. Waiting for backordered items seriously sucks though, I agree.
well i just said that in hopes that the queue would shrink and mine would ship sooner than later. hehehe

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2003, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by ThisGuy:
well i just said that in hopes that the queue would shrink and mine would ship sooner than later. hehehe

-Q-
May 30, 2003, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Why did you cancel? You don't think they will ever come through?
Nope but I wanted to give it to my wife as a present for her b-day and considering the newly projected arrival date is 2 weeks past that date, I'm not dealing with that delay. Hopefully that'll help someone else in the queue....

boardsurfer
May 31, 2003, 01:13 AM

Currently one or more items are not available. Every effort is being made to complete your order.

Delayed Currently attempting to complete order

Sku:__A0114473
Quantity: 1

Description:
_IPOD MP3 PLAYER 15GB
HA! I dont even get a date anymore! Just, "umm, we're working on it"

Zoom
Mac Elite
May 31, 2003, 09:08 AM

I cancelled my Dell order for the 30GB iPod. They really, really pissed me off. First off, I don't recall anything on their web site telling me (before I placed the order) that this unit was out of stock. Second, I waited most of those two weeks and called them for an update (since the web site never updated and just said something stupid about being 'in production'), and the worthless guy at the other end could tell me nothing.

So I wait the two weeks, still no update, May 30th, and call them back. I can't find a menu that says "to speak to a live human, press xxx". So I play stupid and never touch a key, figuring 'hey, surely they must connect people with old phones directly to a person when they don't enter anything'. Wrong. I went through at least 8 readings of various menus asking me to press a key. It would try a given menu once or twice, then forward me to another menu, like all of a sudden my phone is going to grow keys. After maybe 15 minutes, I finally get a human. He has to forward me to someone because he can't access order status. A minute later, I'm on hold, experiencing 'large call volumes' and 'significant wait times'. After another 5-10 minutes, I get another human. He tells me "your item is backordered, and it looks like it's going to be delayed some more". I ask him how long. He says he doesn't know, but I'll get an email when they know.

Then I got the email you all got saying June 10th or whatever. I decided immediately to cancel.

Guess what. I couldn't. I went to the Dell order web site, found the status of my order. Nowhere on that page did it tell me how to cancel. I went back to the email and called the phone number they gave, with the 5-digit extension. It was an automated order status system and nothing in there allowed me to cancel the order or talk to a human.

So I replied to the email with a livid (but tactful) response asking them to cancel my order.

I will never, ever buy from Dell again.

On a lighter note, Amazon is selling the 30GB iPod for $474 with no shipping or tax (to NC).

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 31, 2003, 09:23 AM

If you just responded to the automated email, there is a good chance that no one will ever see it.

chiara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2003, 09:42 AM

Update:

Checked my order status this morning (5/31) and it indicates that it shippped Friday afternoon. It gave me a UPS tracking #, but when I tried to track it from the UPS site, it tells me that it is an invalid tracking #.

Hang in there all you Dell people....

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 31, 2003, 10:28 AM

In my humble opinion, cancelling was stupid. Of course Dell WANTS you to cancel considering the insane deal you got...you'd be better off just hanging in there. All you'll do is possibly get a taste of instant gratification but the aftertaste of the higher credit card bill will be disgusting to say the least.

chiara, great to hear it's shipped! When it says the #'s invalid it most likely means it hasn't moved far enough to register in their tracking system, and probably won't until Monday (business day). Good deal.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 31, 2003, 01:06 PM

Well, . I finally got my "sorry, tough luck" e-mail from Dull too. But my online order status still reads "on or before May 30." That is good news from chiara, maybe they are getting stock in fits and starts. (Smalldog still shows the 30GB model on backorder.)

chiara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2003, 02:24 PM

I finally got the UPS tracking number to work. It left NJ(????) yesterday, and arrived at the UPS holding facility this morning. It is about 30 minutes from where I live, and I anticipate a Monday delivery.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
May 31, 2003, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by chiara:
I finally got the UPS tracking number to work. It left NJ(????) yesterday, and arrived at the UPS holding facility this morning. It is about 30 minutes from where I live, and I anticipate a Monday delivery.
that is good news. at least we are starting to see some people get them!

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
May 31, 2003, 05:07 PM

/sigh

Time frame has been bumped up, AGAIN.

Delivery Estimate: June 11 - June 13

This is bullshit.
( Last edited by Steve; Jun 1, 2003 at 10:55 AM. )

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
May 31, 2003, 05:51 PM

This is bullshit.
You could've ordered straight from Apple and had it two weeks ago, for a lot more money. The old saying proves true: "You get what you pay for".
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 31, 2003, 06:14 PM

I wonder if your tune would be different if you were still waiting...

But yeah, I didn't mind waiting a bit for 20% off, but what I am concerned about is that they aren't giving us any definite dates. I mean, are we really to believe that the largest computer reseller in the world can't get any iPods?

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2003, 01:08 AM

Nah, it wouldn't be any different. I've received mine already, but I still have not used it one single time. I'm waiting on a 3rd gen. case from either Contour Designs (iSee) or Vaja Cases before I lay a hand on it to keep the chrome back in perfect shape. So it wouldn't matter if I had mine or not, I still won't use it w/o a case.

And you guys honestly shouldn't worry. The 17" PBs were announced in Jan. 2003 and people's dates got pushed back again and again and again, and finally 3 months later ppl started getting them. Dell will certainly have them soon, I'd guess within a week or two at the most.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 1, 2003, 10:56 AM

You could've ordered straight from Apple and had it two weeks ago, for a lot more money. The old saying proves true: "You get what you pay for".
True. I guess I'm just used to having fast online vendor ship to me (NewEgg etc.). Waiting more than a week for something that is readily available is absurd.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2003, 11:05 AM

True. I guess I'm just used to having fast online vendor ship to me (NewEgg etc.). Waiting more than a week for something that is readily available is absurd.
Newegg has amazing ship times considering i'm across the country from its warehouse. Almost as good as J&R, who have gotten my order to me in less than 24 hours with standard shipping. I was actually planning on ordering the iPod from J&R, since it's tax free (unlike apple -- presence in all 50 states my ass ) and they ship fast, but i couldn't pass up the opportunity to save $85 at dell, figuring i could wait the 1 to 2 weeks listed on their site for it to ship. How naive i was to trust Dell....

P.S. Dell still says "Delayed Currently attempting to complete your order," so they haven't OFFICIALLY told me that i wont see this thing for a while, but i have a feeling i'll be waiting at least another week for it to ship.

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2003, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
If you just responded to the automated email, there is a good chance that no one will ever see it.
I replied to the "delay" email requesting to cancel my order and got a reply within a couple of hours saying it would be canceled.

dettociao
Senior User
Jun 1, 2003, 06:23 PM

Nah, it wouldn't be any different. I've received mine already, but I still have not used it one single time. I'm waiting on a 3rd gen. case from either Contour Designs (iSee) or Vaja Cases before I lay a hand on it to keep the chrome back in perfect shape. So it wouldn't matter if I had mine or not, I still won't use it w/o a case.
I don't really get this. I owned a 2nd Gen 10gb iPod and I used it with the included Apple case-- and with no case sometimes. I don't really understand why people

(1) Won't use the apple case
(2) Won't use their iPod without a case.

What's the point of having that chrome backing if you're covering it up?

Nate
-.-
12" SuperDrive

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2003, 09:11 PM

dell has a history of this. IF you go to any deal sites, you will find many posts like this about these special deals. the last one i can remember was the sony dvd burner.

Forum Links
Forum Rules