Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dell Sale iPods - Received Them?

Dell Sale iPods - Received Them? (Page 3)
ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2003, 10:20 PM

seriously, all of you should cancel your orders. i want mine before june 14th.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2003, 11:58 PM

My iSee case for my (girlfriend's) 2nd gen. 10gig iPod shows the chrome backing off, while it's still a case.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 11:41 PM

IT SHIPPED!!!!

After a call to my dad's office at 8:30 friday night saying it was delayed, and sometimes getting a delayed-till-june 10th message on the order status (other times it showed "currently attempting to complete your order") i checked for the hell of it tonight and it said it shipped and gave me a tracking number that works! it left indiana at 8:30 tonight, no estimated arrival date yet.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2003, 01:24 AM

Are you waiting for a 30gb iPod?

Mine is still InProduction...

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by Steve:
Are you waiting for a 30gb iPod?

Mine is still InProduction...
nope, 15gb.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 10:11 AM

My 30GB still says "in production" as well (while continuing to note that it should ship on or before May 30; stupid Dell). But smalldog still shows the 30GB on backorder as well, so I'm less miffed than I'd be if I thought ONLY Dell didn't have them.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2003, 10:55 AM

Well at least SOME are shipping now!

Here's something to chew on though...I ordered my extra 17" PowerBook battery on 2/23/03, and I STILL do not have it! I called Apple this morning, the guy said "last week in June!" FOUR MONTHS FOR A BATTERY?!?!?!

So yeah, I've got my iPod, but I NEED this extra battery! ARGH! And BTW, I can't cancel and get it elsewhere, it was through ADC.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

sinebubble
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2003, 12:28 PM

We have reviewed your order. Although we had anticipated being able to ship your order sooner, we are experiencing an unexpected delay and will not be able to ship this order and any associated orders until on or before 6/30/2003.

No action is required to proceed with the new date, however, if you do not wish to wait, you may cancel your order and receive a prompt refund.

If you have any questions, please contact Dell at 800-289-3355, extension 66966 or email us at [email protected].

Please include your order number or customer number with any correspondence.

We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause.
Brian

MacBookPro3,1

boardsurfer
Jun 3, 2003, 07:08 PM

OH please not me. That is horrible.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2003, 07:21 PM

Maybe their strategy is to keep putting us off until the iPods come down to the price we paid for them...

boardsurfer
Jun 3, 2003, 07:30 PM

Dell looking to piss more people off

How long will they have to wait?

klinux
Senior User
Jun 3, 2003, 09:31 PM

Dell does this all the time. They will put <insert merchandise name here> back on the site if they know they fulfill more orders. Some MBAs in Dell prob has got all this all figured out i.e. the revenue this process generates exceeds the ill-will and abandoned orders any late delivery may cause.

I mean, you don't think Dell got to #1 in the industry by accident do you? To those who think their business model is simple, I assure you it is not. If it is, all other major companies would have copied it and any start-up would have taken Dell's place.

I hate to be harsh but all I can say is, if you want the iPod cheap, be prepared to pay a price (no pun intended) for it and quit ya whining. Otherwise, go buy it somewhere else and others will be glad to take your place in the line.

I waited an extra week or so to get my 20GB iPod at $284 and think it is well worth it.

Lastly, for those of you who knows someone who may want to get an iPod, Dell Home (no tax) is having a 10% off sale. Buy 2 @ $538.12. Use B197BCCBD6D (expires 11pm CT on 6/3) to get $45 off. Final cost: $246.56 each!

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 12:29 PM

i found this info while browsing this morning:
http://www.macintouch.com/ipod21.html#jun04

"...Dell has about 1000 customers waiting for iPods."

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 03:27 PM

Well, smalldog now shows an estimated arrival date of June 9 for 30GB iPods, so maybe Dell will get theirs next week as well. As I said above, the fact that it's not JUST Dell that has no stock is somewhat calming.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 02:41 PM

here is the latest from Dell:
We have reviewed your order. Although we had anticipated being able to ship
your order sooner,

we are experiencing an unexpected delay and will not be able to ship this
order and

any associated orders until on or before 6/20/2003.

If you do not wish to wait, you may cancel your order and receive a prompt
refund.

Please be aware that unless you tell us that you want us to continue with
the order despite the delay,

your order will be automatically canceled on 06/08/03.

To give your consent to continue your order, please contact Dell at
877-868-3355 or

email us at [email protected].

Please include your customer number or order number with any
correspondence.

We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause you.
maybe this will get a few people to cancel their orders????

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2003, 02:42 PM

Ouch. Luckily I got my 30GB for $399 from the ADC Apple store several weeks ago. I was planning on selling this 30GB from Dell on ebay, so I can wait.

Fellas, note in the e-mail: Dell will cancel this order unless you tell them not to do so . I think they might be losing money by selling them at this price. Let's stick it to Michael best we can. If you can wait, don't cancel your order.

We have reviewed your order. Although we had anticipated being able to ship your order sooner,

we are experiencing an unexpected delay and will not be able to ship this order and any associated orders until on or before 6/20/2003.

If you do not wish to wait, you may cancel your order and receive a prompt refund.

Please be aware that unless you tell us that you want us to continue with the order despite the delay, your order will be automatically canceled on 06/08/03.

To give your consent to continue your order, please contact Dell at
877-868-3355 or email us at [email protected].

Please include your customer number or order number with any
correspondence.

We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause you.

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2003, 02:44 PM

Sorry for posting the e-mail from Dell twice. It looks like ThisGuy and I were responding at the same time.

boardsurfer
Jun 6, 2003, 03:09 PM

Hmm, just called to keep my order alive. No number menus, no holding, just a nice lady who took my info, asked if I wanted to continue and that was that. Total time on phone: less than a minute.

other than that -

edit: ordered 15GB on 5/15, now delayed to 6/20.
( Last edited by boardsurfer; Jun 6, 2003 at 04:06 PM. )

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by boardsurfer:
Hmm, just called to keep my order alive. No number menus, no holding, just a nice lady who took my info, asked if I wanted to continue and that was that. Total time on phone: less than a minute.

other than that -
i just called and i had to leave a message. it was like i called an answering machine.
"Hello, Dell can't answer the phone right now. Please leave a message after the tone or push 1 for more options. Goodbye." ::BEEP:: weird.

boardsurfer
Jun 6, 2003, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by ThisGuy:
i just called and i had to leave a message. it was like i called an answering machine.
"Hello, Dell can't answer the phone right now. Please leave a message after the tone or push 1 for more options. Goodbye." ::BEEP:: weird.
I think I would cal again until I was able to speak with someone. That is very odd.

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2003, 05:02 PM

I have an idea for those of you getting frustrated waiting. How about buying one from BestBuy or CompUSA for full price, opening it, enjoying it, etc., then once the one from Dell arrives, return that sealed unit to the retail store for a full refund. I'm thinking those two stores because I think the Apple Store only gives you 10 days to return merchandise, whereas for the former I think it's 30 days. This way you get your iPod for the big discount earlier, and the retailer still gets an new, sealed unit to sell.

I think all the store looks at is the bar code anyway, so I don't think they'd be able to tell the difference. Is thing completely wrong and immoral or would it work? Any thoughts?
( Last edited by shrink; Jun 6, 2003 at 05:36 PM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 6, 2003, 05:38 PM

Yes, it is unethical to do that, although many people do similar things.

I'm considering letting them cancel my order. It was sort of an impulse buy anyway, and when I consider how I will have to have my family in the US send it to me in Japan, I think it might be a better idea just to get it at a local store here for a bit more. If I didn't already hate Dell this certainly would have changed my opinion.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 6, 2003, 07:12 PM

Yep. Just called Dell, gentlemen picked up right away (actually scared me, hehe), and I continued my order.

6/20/03... here I come...

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 07:35 PM

That is VERY odd and reinforces my initial reaction that the double-dip discount was a mistake in their online store. I can't think of another instance when a reseller cancelled your order unless you specifically told them NOT to. It looks like Dell is trying to get out of fulfilling.

I'm tempted to drop my order too. Like Icruise, it was sort of an impulse purchase. Now I think I'd rather spend the money on an upgrade for my Cube, with 1.25GHz cards down to around $500...

jdhindes
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2003, 11:22 PM

I emailed Dell last night NOT to cancel my order for my Ipod. I had an email from them this a.m. saying that it would NOT be cancelled. Now let's see how L O N G I have to wait!!!!

Jim

12" Powerbook
640 mb ram
i950 Canon printer
60 gig HD

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2003, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
That is VERY odd and reinforces my initial reaction that the double-dip discount was a mistake in their online store. I can't think of another instance when a reseller cancelled your order unless you specifically told them NOT to. It looks like Dell is trying to get out of fulfilling.
I agree...I've never heard of such a thing. When I pre-ordered a CD a few weeks ahead of time a few months back at Amazon.com, I got an email saying that they were sorry it hadn't shipped, but that it was a pre-order and would ship as soon as it was released, and that if I wanted to cancel, EMAIL THEM, not the other way around...strange.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2003, 04:52 PM

All right, it's now clear that Dull is deliberately playing mind-games with me as payback for all the vile things I've said about them! I got my e-mail about cancelling my order first thing yesterday (Saturday) morning, and it said I had to notify them by the 8th if I wanted to keep my order active. Well, I dithered and finally decided I'd rather have the $400 for a Cube upgrade or to put toward a new PowerBook, so I didn't contact them.

I just checked my order status to see if it was still active or had been cancelled...and it SHIPPED on Friday!

Never let anyone say Apple's online ordering is screwed up; this has been the most bizarre purchase I've ever made. I suppose the next thing that will happen is that my package will come and, instead of an iPod, it will be some POS Dull laptop or something.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2003, 04:59 PM

w00t

Finally shipped on the 6th and is expected to arrive on the 12th ( UPS ).

It's been way too long and I just want to play with it.

But hey, look at it this way. It's closer to having the software updated to get rid of the nasty little bugs that is in a lot of the 30gb iPods .

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2003, 06:39 PM

Mine shipped as well. From the "order status" page on their website.

Shipped 6/6/2003

Sku: A0114492 Quantity: 1 Description: IPOD MP3 PLAYER 30GB

boardsurfer
Jun 8, 2003, 07:03 PM

woooooOOOOOoooooooot!!!!!!!!111!!

Shipped on Friday.
Do you suppose they wanted to make a bunch of people cancel before they actuslly ship a bunch of these things out?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2003, 07:19 PM

I decided not to cancel after all, since it looks like I will be visiting the US soon anyway, but lucky me, mine still hasn't shipped... I'm not the only one left am I?

sinebubble
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2003, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I decided not to cancel after all, since it looks like I will be visiting the US soon anyway, but lucky me, mine still hasn't shipped... I'm not the only one left am I?
I'm being told June 30th, EARLIEST. How I got stuck with June 30th, I have no idea.
Brian

MacBookPro3,1

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2003, 05:21 AM

Apparently some guy on iPoding.com has gotten a $30 discount for his iPod delay, although others have tried without success. See
this link.

On Macintouch today there was a mail saying that:

"The rep told me that according to the system, they had "0 in stock" and my order was "number 1003 of 2670 orders in progress".

It looks like a LOT of people got in on this deal. We could be waiting a looong time.

madchumpy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2003, 05:39 AM

Finally my 15gb shipped yesterday. So to those of you still waiting for a 15gb ordered around 5/19, stick in there. It's about to ship. (I think)

Barely in time for my graduation this Saturday. whew...

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2003, 02:15 PM

After the whole "send an email not to cancel" thing mine will be here tommorow...

jdhindes
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2003, 06:59 AM

Mine shipped 2 days ago and according to the tracking info--should be here today! Yea! Just in time for Father's Day! My gift to myself! Woohoo!

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 12, 2003, 12:49 PM

I got it yesterday afternoon and am transfering songs to it as we speak .

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 02:15 PM

i just got a ship date of June 20th for my 30GB.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 02:56 PM

Mine has finally arrived in Massachusetts (five days from Mesquite, Texas!) and hopefully that means it will be delivered tomorrow.

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2003, 03:10 PM

Hey, Bruno, I'm in Worcester, MA (by way of Chicago, long story don't ask) - not too far from you. I think ours are on the same truck. It should be delivered tomorrow, 6/13 - enjoy your weekend!

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 05:33 PM

I'm glad you guys are seeing them shipped out...nice results as a reward for patience! Enjoy!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

jdhindes
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2003, 07:22 AM

Mine came yesterday (6-12-003). It is a wonderful thing!!!!!! I'm glad it's here!

Jim

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2003, 07:26 AM

I got mine a week ago 6/5/03. Sold my old 5 GB right away for $200. Been a great week. Listened to alot of music!
( Last edited by DaedalusDX; Jun 13, 2003 at 07:31 AM. )

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2003, 07:36 AM

Don't you guys all love that new iPod smell? I still got some of it on the box and the packing material!

Heavenly!!

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2003, 10:35 AM

Got mine yesterday, back to the shop today... It worked great until I tried to get in the freshly synced calendar. The the iPod locked up. After rebooting it went in an infinite rebooting cycle. I tried erasing and restore the software but it didn't help...

Bottom line is the 2.0 software is buggy, 2.0.1 is supposed to be out any day now.

Good luck.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by shrink:
Hey, Bruno, I'm in Worcester, MA (by way of Chicago, long story don't ask) - not too far from you. I think ours are on the same truck. It should be delivered tomorrow, 6/13 - enjoy your weekend!
Yup, mine just arrived; but after reading about proux's problem I'm a'scared to open it!

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2003, 01:09 PM

To be honest as soon as I get the new-new one I will put the songs and contacts on, but will hold off the calendar part...

boardsurfer
Jun 14, 2003, 01:24 AM

and the heavens opened and smiled on the puny soul of the boardsurfer

yeah and verily the man in brown doth deliver the salvation which cometh in the tiny white and metallic package on the 12th day of the 6th month.
and the bordsurfer opened the package and at once the light from within was a whiteness not previously known to man.
and the boardsurfer smiled and saw that it was good.
yea, verily it was good.

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2003, 10:04 AM

They were nice enough to exchange the bad unit at my local Apple store (after an hour of diagnosing!). They replaced just the unit.

So far so good with everything BUT the calendar. I'll wait 2.0.1 for that.

Good luck!

bamchum
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2003, 10:03 PM

When did those of you who have received your 30GB models place your orders?

Forum Links
Forum Rules