Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iTunes updates with Panther?

iTunes updates with Panther?
antisonne
Oct 11, 2003, 04:13 PM

Does anyone think or know if there will be a iTunes update with Panther?

Ive written to Apple in hopes of iTunes having some new features, some that I would like to see would be:
Cycle through playlists (Once the current playlist is done playing, It would move to the next one in your playlist list that you can control, and possibly some features such as shuffle playlists, or 1-2-3 order)

Better control of which song will play after the current and after that and so on (Instead of having to drag the song all the way up through big playlists, you would have a small drop down list with numbers or 1-2-3 next to each song)

A nice fadeout and fadein (Like winamp for PC has, So when you open a song from finder it will fade into the song, and when you pause a song it will slowly fade out)

I forgot my other feature list... Just think these would make iTunes better.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2003, 04:28 PM

4.0.1 is with Panther.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

sandsl
Senior User
Oct 11, 2003, 04:56 PM

Apple might release a new version on October 16th.
Luke

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by sandsl:
Apple might release a new version on October 16th.
Along with a Windows version... or at least that's what the voices in my head tell me.

antisonne  (op)
Oct 11, 2003, 05:14 PM

Good point about the 16th, didnt even think about that. Another good feature would be to play a single song once, without moving to the next.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 05:17 PM

It's unlikely Apple will release a new Mac version of iTunes on the 16th. It's most likely a Windows version of iTunes with the same features as the Mac version. I really hope they got Rendezvous sharing to work on the Windows version, that would be so sweet.

As far as the feature requests, I believe that fadein is already possible. Look in the preferences. As for the queue, I don't think Apple will ever implement something like that, since it would make the interface that much more complex. On the other hand, if done right, it could be easily integrated. A playlist like section in the left pane could be the queue.

Features I would like to see in the next version of iTunes:
1. Faster interface; the scrolling text during playback on my iBook can take up to 15% of my CPU. Playback takes less than 1%.
2. New AAC codec; apparently, HEAAC (high efficiency AAC) will be able to encode CD quality audio at 48 kbps. Then I wouldn't have a problem with encoding all my music at 128 kbps.
3. New visualizers; the current ones are old and don't fully exploit current hardware. Especially video cards.
4. Integrate with Panther's new keyboard shortcut prefs; I want to make custom keystrokes for playback, from any app.
5. Multichannel music; part of the new QuickTime, multichannel AAC is possible, now they just need to exploit it.
6. Metadata reading; it should detect purchased music in your library automatically, all it has to do is look at the file extensions.

That's all for me.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by antisonne:
A nice fadeout and fadein (Like winamp for PC has, So when you open a song from finder it will fade into the song, and when you pause a song it will slowly fade out)
iTunes does have crossfade, though I know that's not quite what you mean. Though I really don't like having fadeins and outs like that.

I think Apple just needs to fix iTunes so that it doesn't forget where songs are.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Busemann
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 07:23 PM

Ability to play two songs at once and mix them on the fly!

mikemako
Senior User
Oct 11, 2003, 07:48 PM

smooth transitions in the visualizations when the player moves to the next song (meaning the visualizations don't pauze for a second when the next track pops up). The ability to choose if I want that goofy Apple to appear (in visualizations) every now and then!
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2003, 09:51 PM

In all honesty I have to say... if you want one play list to play after the other... why not try... dragging that songs from one play list into another?

Half the features that are requested are either outside of what iTunes is ment to do, or stupid needless requests to bloat the software. The only valid thing I could ask would be for iTunes to be able to use less CPU power to do what it does.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 12:12 AM

I could see it go either way. If they are writing a new version then they'll probably want the code to be as cross platform as possible. That at a minimum implies some new standard "code base." Then it would be very easy to add a few features.

Rumors are that, for compatibility with existing songs on Windows, iTunes for Windows will support WMP songs. It would be very likely that support would come to the Mac as well. I believe MacRumors has been reporting that. And it makes sense since many PC users have WMP songs and they would be far less likely to use iTunes if they couldn't play their existing library with it.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 07:57 AM

I'd also like to see the return of the internet sharing feature. Perhaps in a more hack-proof form

antisonne  (op)
Oct 12, 2003, 09:01 AM

Superchicken, Yes you can drag, but as I said, it would take more time to go through all the playlists trying to locate a song, and becomes a hassle. "Needless features"? When you spend everyday, almost all day sitting in front of a computer, you want to listen to music and not have to go back and forth to the application everytime a song ends. And there could be a option in the preferences to turn on advanced view with more control features.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by Thinine:

4. Integrate with Panther's new keyboard shortcut prefs; I want to make custom keystrokes for playback, from any app.
You know you can use Synergy for this, I have assigned the F6, F7 and F8 keys for previous song, play/pause and next song respectively and the F1-F5 for rating the songs, pretty neat...

antisonne  (op)
Oct 12, 2003, 11:00 AM

Yeah, I use synergy too... Great app, and its only like $5? I assigned next/previous track to be apple+right/apple+left, apple+space pauses the song, apple+up/down changes volume... Very handy

triplezoom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 12:13 PM

I'd like to be able to right-click on a song and have a "Add to Queue" option or something equivalent. That way you could build a temporary playlist on the fly, sort of.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by triplezoom:
I'd like to be able to right-click on a song and have a "Add to Queue" option or something equivalent. That way you could build a temporary playlist on the fly, sort of.
Yeah, that would be great. I hate making new playlists and changing them all the time. a "song queuer" would be great to have.

ls -al
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2003, 02:41 PM

Looks like Panther will indeed bring updated iApps... at least according to:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/compare.html

kovacs
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by ls -al:
Looks like Panther will indeed bring updated iApps... at least according to:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/compare.html
I think they compare Panther with the first version of Jaguar, the one that didn't include Safari or iCal...

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 07:08 PM

Those features does sound nice. I'm also hoping they will update iTune and have new features as well...

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2003, 07:19 PM

iTunes 5 coming soon.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2003, 08:34 PM

something I have been wanting for a long time . . . iTunes to be able to import and burn two CD's at once. I have a MDD with a superdrive (first rev. and slow) so I bought I lite-on 52x and want to use both at the same time. did I mention that I love my lite-on

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 09:12 PM

I think apple will update iTunes to at least 4.0.2 if not greater.

I think there are most likely instances where it would be easier to change xx feature in the iTMS and and just update the mac version to understand it instead of fixing the windows version.

And who knows, those windows programmers may have found some problems in the mac code and fixed it.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2003, 05:57 AM

I heard iTunes will be ble to play .wma files.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

kovacs
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 06:16 AM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
I heard iTunes will be ble to play .wma files.
Makes sense...

ph0ust
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 01:50 PM

what about the ability for smart playists to really be smart! like playing multiple genres and such through the use of and/or/if statements. that is my number one request (i still can't believe it doesn't do that!)

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by ph0ust:
what about the ability for smart playists to really be smart! like playing multiple genres and such through the use of and/or/if statements. that is my number one request (i still can't believe it doesn't do that!)
It pretty much does this already. Any = or, all = and. I think if is too difficult for most people to bother with. I remember my beginning programming classes spending a week on if statements and people still didn't get it (yes, I was in hell). Now if you mean that people should be able to nest their choices (such as (this or that) and (that or this)), I also think that's too difficult to deal with. I've found that there are enough ways to customize a song that you don't need this anyway. Between rating, genere, whether the song is checked, kind, album, play count, and the many other options, there are already plenty of ways to craft a list the way you like it.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 10:35 PM

a little off topic but i did see that the rumros were true about the DoD security cards in osx, and i see something called AMD-linux automounting? whats that?
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

HiRez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by Thinine:
1. Faster interface; the scrolling text during playback on my iBook can take up to 15% of my CPU. Playback takes less than 1%.
1% on an iBook??? How is that possible? Playing a song (AAC, MP3, or direct from CD) in iTunes takes 5%-17% of my CPU on a PowerBook G4 800 MHz.

What I want to see them fix is the gap between songs. You cannot get rid of it. This stinks for things like live albums. The only way you can fix it is to rip the songs together using Join CD Tracks, but then you lose the songs as individual tracks. At the least it should be able to set logical song break indices within a joined track.

Also, separate, user-defineable fade ups and fade-downs should be settable on a per-song basis (this would be helpful for mixing solitary live tracks into a CD).

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying." --Woody Allen

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 06:14 AM

Only if it's an option. When the phone rings and I hit Pause, I want immediate silence.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2003, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
[B]Only if it's an option. When the phone rings and I hit Pause, I want immediate silence.
If you have a bluetooth cell phone, you can have Salling Clicker pause it for you on an incoming call!

The one feature I would really like to see in iTunes is the ability to apply the sound check levels to cds you burn. Sound Check is great until you burn a playlist to cd and the volume levels are all over the place. It would be great if iTunes could adjust the volume to a uniform level when burning cds.

-b

Forum Links
Forum Rules