Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail (spotlight) search doesn't find things

Mail (spotlight) search doesn't find things
monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2005, 09:10 AM

I'm using my gmail with Mail. I wanted to find an email I wrote a while back that had the prescription for my contacts in it. Searching for this using spotlight in Mail wouldn't find it - when I knew it was there since I can search for it via the gmail web interface. I know the message is on my Mac.

Also, when you select 'Entire Message' as the search option it sometimes seems to miss searching the subject line (am I being stupid in thinking that 'entire message' means the subject, sender, receiver, and content?)

So my thought is that Spotlight has not properly indexed these emails, I hope that's the case and that it's not just Spotlight having a pretty big bug here. Now to find out how to re-index stuff...

Aeschylus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2005, 03:35 PM

When I create a smart mailbox with two condions and specify "Any" of the conditions, if one of those conditions is that the mail is in a mailbox that exists on the hard drive, nothing at all in that mailbox is found. If there is only one condtion, then all the messages in that mailbox are found.

Reindexing has not helped.

monkeybrain  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2005, 08:16 AM

A reindexing fixed my issue. But I can confirm that Mail bug, quite silly isn't it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules