Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car Talk

Car Talk (Page 37)
andi*pandi
Mar 8, 2024, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
…which, by the way, is a wagon or SUV. Three kids + gear, multiple car seats, decent range? I’d be surprised if a rear-facing car seat even fits.
This. I've had multiple subaru outbacks and even with newer bigger models, with 2 carseats in the back (rearfacing infant and front facing booster) there is very little room for another person or carseat (unless both small).

How old are the kids? if beyond booster age you might have a decent window to fit them all in the back before legs sprout and they are fighting over knee space. Then you are either in minivan territory (sigh) or 3rd row options.

-signed, youngest of 3 who remembers being squoze between teenager siblings in a SAAB.

Thorzdad
Mar 9, 2024, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
-signed, youngest of 3 who remembers being squoze between teenager siblings in a SAAB.
Parents trying desperately to hang onto the last vestige of their fun, pre-kids, life.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2024, 11:37 AM

….or as we like to call them around here, “OreoCookie”……….
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 9, 2024, 01:57 PM

Then you are either in minivan territory (sigh) or 3rd row options.
Minivans are unpopular in the US today. After being very popular decades ago. I've never owned one, but they seem practical. Lots of space for a comparatively low price. Instead, people tend to buy 3-row SUVs for much higher prices, and less practical access to the 3rd row.

Are they unpopular just because one's parents had one, and it's important to be different? Or is there an actual downside?

Paying double for a product that meets your needs less, just to stick it to Mom & Dad doesn't work for me. What am I missing?

andi*pandi
Mar 9, 2024, 02:34 PM

They are not very good in snow. I didn't care for their visibility or handling. (have only driven a couple).

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2024, 03:06 PM

Not quite the same, but I love my cargo van as I have said numerous times.

Winter tires cover me for snow.

Forward visibility is great. Nothing else I’ve driven compares. The blind-spot mirrors work.

Handles better than my Cherokee (though more tippy), which I only took to 100 a few times just to say I had done it. I do it regularly in the van, though I do kinda desire a vehicle where that’s not at the edge of the envelope.
( Last edited by subego; Mar 9, 2024 at 04:40 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2024, 06:19 PM

They are not very good in snow. I didn't care for their visibility or handling. (have only driven a couple).
They are no different in snow than any other FWD vehicle. Put winter tires on and you’re all set!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2024, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Let me add to that: currently, the industry is, for the most part, trying to replicate ICE cars, which makes EVs even heavier, which hurts range. Power output is cranked up to the whazoo, which makes for a fun party trick, but is entirely unnecessary in everyday driving. I'd even say it is not a good idea as it is too much car for the average person to handle.

I have had a look at all the electric cars on the market and they either leave me cold or I feel repulsed. The Cybertruck is literally taken from a dystopian genre, and seems to reflect the sensibilities of the company's owner perfectly (”You are bigger than everyone else.”, “You will win in each accident.”, “bulletproof*”). Most car manufacturers don't seem to even have to gonads to transition properly, e. g. it isn't the VW Golf (with an electric drivetrain), it is the i3, the Mercedes EQE instead of the E class. BMW breaks the mold, but their cars come with another tradeoff: they are made to accommodate both, ICE and electric drivetrains. The Rivian looks much better than the Cybertruck, but weighs about as much.

There are too few cars like the original BMW i3 and the Honda e, which try to break the mold. The i3 is actually quite spacious inside. The Honda e is gorgeous, no matter what it is powered by. The i3 is really nice inside and has fascinating engineering. (I know the design is marmite.)

This matters less for smaller cars, though, I'd say. We are just one recession away from the Chinese taking over the American and European car market. They have forced electric vehicle makers to scale, in many big Chinese cities all taxis and buses are electric. They have already run 20 laps while we just got up and think about having a poo.
On that note however, check out Rivian’s recently announced R3. Wowsers that is a fine looking car. Who knows if they’ll last long enough to actually build it, but they nailed the look (to me there’s some shades of your Honda e)….

OreoCookie
Mar 10, 2024, 05:39 AM

To paraphrase some old guy with bad vision: I guess I just don’t understand what you’re looking for. You have three kids and a family of five and live in the countryside.
Half of the post was lamenting the current state of the market, the other half openly wondering what my options are. Right now the car market is transitioning away from ICE to EV, and it feels wrongheaded to buy a new ICE vehicle. The trends of the car industry (making everything an SUV, essentially no EV station wagons) seem to be working against me.

20 years ago there were quite a few cars I'd find very attractive for various reasons, from a boring-yet-good option like a Golf or Passat station wagon to something fancier or quirkier.
Why are you looking at the Honda e? It’s like the opposite of the vehicle that logically fits your life.
Simple: It's beautiful. It's one of very few EVs that is just a beautiful car. That's it. I wouldn't get one, because it isn't a good fit. My point was that there are very few EVs that are appealing to me.
…which, by the way, is a wagon or SUV.
I *love* wagons, but hate SUVs. My company has a bunch of Golf station wagons and they are great, except they are ICE vehicles. Not sure if they fit 3 child seats next to one another (our oldest is 6, the middle one 2 and the youngest is literally a week old today). I noticed, however, that there are no proper EV station wagons I am aware of, either SUV (yuk) or a mix between a hatchback and a sedan (think Model 3). (The only exception seems to be BMW's i5 Touring, but that isn't just way out of my budget, but also an ICE car that can also be electric.)
Three kids + gear, multiple car seats, decent range? I’d be surprised if a rear-facing car seat even fits in the e ������, but if it does there’s definitely not more than two seats in the rear.
There is actually a European standard for that: if you get special child seats and a suitable car, you can fit 3 child seats in a row. There is only one EV on the list.
How are you fitting your family in anything smaller than a compact SUV or Civic-size (assuming they’re kids — if they’re teenagers, forget it!)?
When I was a kid, my family fit everyone (2 adults, 3 kids) in a Mark 2 Golf, although that was before the era of modern child seats and towards the end, we were older. And having lived in Japan, I think I actually prefer smaller cars. I rented a few cars in the last months, including a Ford Galaxy (a Ford van), which is too big for my taste.

This may be hard to communicate to an American audience, though
How old are the kids? if beyond booster age you might have a decent window to fit them all in the back before legs sprout and they are fighting over knee space. Then you are either in minivan territory (sigh) or 3rd row options.
Our kids are almost 6 and 2 years, and the youngest is 8 days old.

I have had fond memories of fighting over space in the back with my two siblings, too! Less so for our parents who had to listen to episodes of ALF on repeat.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Mar 10, 2024, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Minivans are unpopular in the US today. After being very popular decades ago. I've never owned one, but they seem practical. Lots of space for a comparatively low price. Instead, people tend to buy 3-row SUVs for much higher prices, and less practical access to the 3rd row.
I have had a Ford Galaxy as a rental. It offers enough space in the 2-row configuration, but you are left with a small trunk once you use the third row. Parking (especially in a garage) and navigating narrow roads is much more challenging. I think a slightly smaller station wagon would give you more usable space, unless you frequently transport very tall objects.

Because they are bigger, they have worse performance and fuel economy. The Ford Galaxy was prone to front wheel spin when I floored it.
On that note however, check out Rivian’s recently announced R3. Wowsers that is a fine looking car. Who knows if they’ll last long enough to actually build it, but they nailed the look (to me there’s some shades of your Honda e)….
I like Rivian's design language very much, but the R3 is unfortunately an SUV.

I feel that companies like Rivian and Tesla are in a similar position to the Japanese auto makers when they first made inroads to the European market in the 1980s: they were not yet made for a European audience. E. g. beer cases/trays did not fit into trunks.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2024, 06:41 AM

it feels wrongheaded to buy a new ICE vehicle
Buying a new vehicle is almost always wrongheaded.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2024, 09:43 AM

I *love* wagons, but hate SUVs.

I like Rivian's design language very much, but the R3 is unfortunately an SUV.
Well it’s more of a crossover. Feels like you’re so hung up on the niche wagon market that you’re just not going to get anything. The smallest niches will be last served by EVs. Either wait it out or just go get a used ICE wagon and be done with it.

PS I’m feeling crossovers are pretty nice as wagon alternatives. Not as high as older SUVs, but a bit more practical and shorter than wagons. My neighbour has one of those new Cadillac Lyric EVs and it’s pretty sweet, although it’s not really what we’re talking about here. His range was almost 500km too, although as a RWD vehicle I suspect he was probably lucky North America had such a mild winter. 😀

There is actually a European standard for that: if you get special child seats and a suitable car, you can fit 3 child seats in a row. There is only one EV on the list.
I mean ultimately it’s just a function of vehicle size. Width and rear seat room. None of which you’re likely getting in a small vehicle.

I have had fond memories of fighting over space in the back with my two siblings, too!
So do I, back in the bays before car seats and when our parents never actually enforced wearing those lap belts.

It’s a different world now. We know what happens in an accident. Kids sitting up, seat belts on. Everyone’s kids are different, but there’s a reason no one I know with three kids has anything smaller than a minivan or large SUV.

OreoCookie
Mar 10, 2024, 02:20 PM

Well it’s more of a crossover. Feels like you’re so hung up on the niche wagon market that you’re just not going to get anything. The smallest niches will be last served by EVs. Either wait it out or just go get a used ICE wagon and be done with it.
You are forgetting that us Europeans love station wagons. I read that in 2018 about 80 % of all station wagons were sold in Europe. For some cars, station wagons have outsold sedans by a huge margin (VW Passats come to mind, Jettas are like unicorns).

In recent years, SUVs and crossovers took marketshare for sure, though. At least in Europe, it is less of a niche. (All our company cars that are not Teslas are Golf station wagons, for instance).
PS I’m feeling crossovers are pretty nice as wagon alternatives. Not as high as older SUVs, but a bit more practical and shorter than wagons. My neighbour has one of those new Cadillac Lyric EVs and it’s pretty sweet, although it’s not really what we’re talking about here. His range was almost 500km too, although as a RWD vehicle I suspect he was probably lucky North America had such a mild winter. ������
I guess I will have to at least give them a shake.
Width and rear seat room. None of which you’re likely getting in a small vehicle.
There are a few actually, my boss owns one. They are passenger versions of utility vehicles.
So do I, back in the bays before car seats and when our parents never actually enforced wearing those lap belts.
I remember when reinforced doors became a feature … And middle seats only had lap belts. Germany was always strict with buckling up. My brother once undid his seat belt when he was 6 or so and my mom had to break all of a sudden. My brother broke my mom‘s rear view mirror ������

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 12, 2024, 09:02 PM

Honda has the Prologue, a full EV SUV. It appears to have a wheelbase similarly to the Pilot, which is a positive thing. They also offer a hybrid version of the CR-V (which would have been the car we bought next if our 2017 CR-V hadn’t been totaled in 2022). The hybrid CR-V handles wonderfully, and it comes in “Sport” and “Sport Touring” trim levels.

I think looking into Honda for a family vehicle that is efficient and pretty fun to drive is a good idea.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2024, 07:45 AM

The new Prologue is a rebadged GM Chevrolet Blazer EV I believe.. it is not based on the Honda architecture like their other vehicles (e.g. Pilot/Ridgeline/MDX/Odyssey all share a similar platform). I have heard that the new Prologue is fairly bland yet competent, but as a general rule I’d always recommend staying away from Version 1 of any product. Give the manufacturer some time to work out the bugs.

I also think the Honda CR-V is a great little SUV, but “handles wonderfully” probably needs the qualifier “for this SUV”.

To be honest Honda does not really make a vehicle for Oreo, because they don’t generally serve niches other than “practical driving enthusiast”. The Integra or Civic Type R is kind of what he’s looking for and they are so much fun to drive it isn’t even funny, but they aren’t EVs or really wide enough to fit three in the back seat.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2024, 04:08 PM

Finally started removing my old dashcam. Took the heat gun to the GPS module. The module pulled cleanly off the adhesive, but the adhesive remained stuck to the window. Really stuck. Plastic razor blade did nothing.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 14, 2024, 07:12 PM

Try a nylon wire wheel in a drill. example. You should be able to get these at any hardware store. It'll be a little messy, as the sticky pad comes off in tiny pieces. Lay down a sacrificial towel first, after letting the sacrifice escape. Alcohol cleanup of any remaining residue.

Recall your geology. Because nylon is softer than glass, it won't scratch the windshield. A tint coating on the glass would suffer, but the glass will be fine.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2024, 12:10 PM

That’s a good idea, but I’m theoretically doing research on how to get one off without damaging a defroster trace.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 16, 2024, 05:43 PM

The new Prologue is a rebadged GM Chevrolet Blazer EV I believe.. it is not based on the Honda architecture like their other vehicles (e.g. Pilot/Ridgeline/MDX/Odyssey all share a similar platform). I have heard that the new Prologue is fairly bland yet competent, but as a general rule I’d always recommend staying away from Version 1 of any product. Give the manufacturer some time to work out the bugs.

I also think the Honda CR-V is a great little SUV, but “handles wonderfully” probably needs the qualifier “for this SUV”.

To be honest Honda does not really make a vehicle for Oreo, because they don’t generally serve niches other than “practical driving enthusiast”. The Integra or Civic Type R is kind of what he’s looking for and they are so much fun to drive it isn’t even funny, but they aren’t EVs or really wide enough to fit three in the back seat.
Compared to the BMW X3 I had before the CR-V, it drives well. And mine is peppy enough to surprise young people with loud exhausts and delusions of driving skills. But true, it’s not an enthusiast’s vehicle.

Now, from experience, the Type R is fabulous, except for the low profile tires. My wife wound up destroying all four wheels by going over a modest bump (perhaps 2 inches) on a city street. The stock tires also seem to be pretty delicate. If they sold it as a Civic that you could put racing wheels and tires on at the track, we’d still have one. We both miss the acceleration, the handling, and the comfort that goes with a Civic-style body.

The Type R seats four, and you can’t really stretch that with a car seat because it doesn’t have a combination of seatbelts and anchors to secure more than two passengers in the back seat.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi
Mar 16, 2024, 07:30 PM

Someone convince me which to get next: Subaru Crosstrek (6spd) vs Subaru Outback (CVT), both ~circa 2022.
Having trouble giving up stick shift (ok learning cvt something new) vs giving up space. Change is hard. A 3rd vehicle is needed.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 16, 2024, 08:01 PM

Stick driving looks cool on TV, but I got tired of them in traffic. And got tired of paying for clutch replacements. Those haven't been cheap since ... er, anytime I can remember. They're also a dying breed in the US. Last I checked, sticks were down to 1.6% of new cars IIRC. That was a few years ago, so they may be below 1% now. They're holding on better in Europe.

Brien
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2024, 08:57 PM

I would love the Golf R wagon stateside.

Thorzdad
Mar 17, 2024, 06:06 AM

Someone convince me which to get next: Subaru Crosstrek (6spd) vs Subaru Outback (CVT), both ~circa 2022.
Having trouble giving up stick shift (ok learning cvt something new) vs giving up space. Change is hard. A 3rd vehicle is needed.
That’s a hard one. Not because of the transmissions, but the disparate sizes. We looked at the Crosstrek, but the capacity is tiny compared to the Outback and Forester. And the rear seats are noticeably cramped in comparison.

If you think you’ll need the space in an Outback, you won’t be happy with the Crosstrek. To me, the Crosstrek is perfect for a single person (or couple) who pack really light whenever they travel.

I used to drive nothing but sticks, but, over the years, that took a toll on my left knee. Manuals are fun, but modern traffic makes them kind of a bother. A recent-vintage Outback with the CVT should do just fine. Like most car makers, Subaru had some issues with their CVT early-on, but the newer models seem to be fine.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2024, 10:26 AM

I remember people feeling hinky about the Outback CVT when I was looking at one in 2014. I figure they worked most of the kinks out by 2020.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2024, 08:33 PM

Agreed on the Crosstek — it’s just a slightly lifted Impreza. I liked the Outback, but my wife preferred the Forester. We ended up with the Forester and really enjoyed it.

Of course, the Subarus are a little rudimentary in the tech department. But that’s ok

andi*pandi
Mar 17, 2024, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Crosstrek.... rear seats are noticeably cramped in comparison. ...

I used to drive nothing but sticks, but, over the years, that took a toll on my left knee. Manuals are fun, but modern traffic makes them kind of a bother. A recent-vintage Outback with the CVT should do just fine. Like most car makers, Subaru had some issues with their CVT early-on, but the newer models seem to be fine.
This is a good point. We are not short people. I didn't think the drivers seat was cramped when I tested it, but I didn't sit in the back or bring the whole fam.

I don't have to do too much city driving, but there's been a few injuries over the last few years which driving stick just didnt work. So my SO and I switched daily drivers then.

Could also pour some money into the 2010. It's got low miles, only 125,000.

Thorzdad
Mar 17, 2024, 10:35 PM

That’s pretty low mileage for a 14-year-old car. At least for us it is. Does the 2010 need any major work?

andi*pandi
Mar 18, 2024, 08:53 PM

The timing belt and clutch are likely going to come due soon. The exhaust is a tad noisy but the garage says it's fine for now. Brakes and other work are up to date.
Low mileage due to pandemic and also a relatively short commute beforehand.

Thorzdad
Mar 19, 2024, 06:36 AM

Ah. I forgot older Subies had timing belts. Someone at Subaru finally got wise, and the newer models have timing chains.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2024, 11:40 AM

Bought new tires. Wasn’t sure what I was expecting but when he quoted me $900 I was still taken aback.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 20, 2024, 12:54 PM

$900 for 4x passenger tires? Ridiculous in my opinion.

Now maybe you're adding 18" extensions to your wheels, so you can mount truck tires that don't fit in the wheel wells. Not a full monster-van treatment, only about halfway there.

Should give you a unique look on the freeway, and you'll get excellent visibility from the 1-foot lift the bigger tires give you. No more tailgaters - people will give you lots of extra space. Maybe you can post us a few pics?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2024, 02:37 PM

Yeah. Looks like they’re about $40 above the norm on this tire.

They do right by me otherwise, so I’ll eat it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 21, 2024, 09:28 AM

215/55R16? You should be able to get something decent installed for under $700. Even a top of the line Michelin with an 80,000 mile warranty would be under $850.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2024, 11:33 AM

That sounds right.

Total was actually $850. The bill included storage and I was guesstimating the extra.

Extra $40x4 = $160. Drop that and it’s $690.

They’re Continentals. I think Procontact TXs

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2024, 12:19 PM

Finally got through the gallon of Rain-X wiper fluid and went back to tried-and-true Prestone de-icer. No more perpetual smear in front of my face from the passenger-side wiper blade.

Forum Links
Forum Rules