Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Patriot Act and Canada

Patriot Act and Canada
shmerek
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2004, 03:44 PM

Apparently the US could use the patriot act to collect information on Canadians in Canada linky
( Last edited by shmerek; Oct 30, 2004 at 04:35 PM. )

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2004, 04:14 PM

apparently, no. the article says that the US government could use the the patriot act to access information held by american companies working for the BC government.

-r.

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2004, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
apparently, no. the article says that the US government could use the the patriot act to access information held by american companies working for the BC government.

-r.
Oops I guess I jumped the gun but nonetheless

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2004, 11:06 PM

-r.
Where's the disconnect? From the Commissioner's report, "One of the BCGEU's claims was that outsourcing would contravene British Columbia's Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act by making the personal health information of British Columbians accessible to authorities uner Section 15 of the USA Patriot Act". So, indeed, they could access info of Canadians in Canada. Our 'tard premier Campbell seems intent on giving a Boeing affiliate the contract to maintain the Medical Services plan database. How unbelievably stupid is that? Campbell (criminally) stupid!

Next he'll want Asscroft to head up a new BC Provincial Police force.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2004, 11:54 PM

the disconnect is in saying that the US government is at this very moment using the patriot act to access health information of british columbians when it isn't. that potential access is a very serious concern, however, and the BC government should reconsider outsourcing private health information.

-r.

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2004, 01:04 AM

the disconnect is in saying that the US government is at this very moment using the patriot act to access health information of british columbians when it isn't. that potential access is a very serious concern, however, and the BC government should reconsider outsourcing private health information.

-r.
"Apparently the US could use the patriot act to collect information on Canadians in Canada"

"the US government is at this very moment using the patriot act to access health information of british columbians"

Now there's a disconnect. And it was you who bolded the 'could'. Maybe my understanding of 'could' is more inclusive than yours...

At any rate, semantics aside, I'm pleased that we're 'all' agreed that it needs some serious scrutiny.

brapper
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2004, 02:25 AM

anyone want to get into the discussion about how retarded the name patriot act is?

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2004, 04:56 AM

The name Patriot Act sounds to me like something Orwell would of created. Operation Enduring Freedom is such a lame name as well, whatever happened to the more subtle names like Operation Market Garden.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2004, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by brapper:
anyone want to get into the discussion about how retarded the name patriot act is?
Almost as bad as freedom fries?
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2004, 09:59 AM

Actually the Patriot Act, in it's initial state was drafted by Joe Lieberman. One of the only sensible Democrats in existence, but disenfranchised by the party of inclusionists.

Who cares about Canada anyway? Canadians certainly don't. Canadians are more concerned with US elections and supporting Kerry than they are their own parliament. I guess if maybe parliament would swing their doors open so you could actually see how empty the chamber is, you'd know Canadian leaders are also more concerned about US elections than governing their own nation.
ebuddy

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2004, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by ebuddy:
Actually the Patriot Act, in it's initial state was drafted by Joe Lieberman. One of the only sensible Democrats in existence, but disenfranchised by the party of inclusionists.

Who cares about Canada anyway? Canadians certainly don't. Canadians are more concerned with US elections and supporting Kerry than they are their own parliament. I guess if maybe parliament would swing their doors open so you could actually see how empty the chamber is, you'd know Canadian leaders are also more concerned about US elections than governing their own nation.
Canadians are concerned with the Patriot act why? because we still have our freedoms here and don�t take lightly to them being abused, specially by a foreign country like the United States of America. As well Bush has been nothing but a disaster to the entire world let alone the to the US so ya as your concerned friends to the north who care about you like a little brother watching there big brother fall down the drain, we are interested in what goes on.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2004, 10:19 AM

I should've known the Canadian with the John Kerry tag would be first to refute my statement. That was predicted ya know.

If you're concerned about your big brother to the South, perhaps you should educate yourself on the policy differences between these two men regarding Iraq. You'll find no difference.

edited to include; "today, that is."
ebuddy

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2004, 10:35 AM

Iraq is but one issue, the US economy, healthcare, environmental issues, trust being the big one, who is more trust worthy between the 2. Gay rights, social responsibilities, there are a wack of issues to watch for, Iraq is just one of many.

One thing I dont get is why the US elections are sooooo long. We had our's start to finish during the time span of yours, so did Austrailia. This seems to drag on for ever.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2004, 10:54 AM

raq is but one issue, the US economy, healthcare, environmental issues, trust being the big one, who is more trust worthy between the 2. Gay rights
Trust? I can't believe he is where he says he is let alone trust him with the keys to a country. Regarding gay rights; you may disagree with Bush my friend, but you must know Kerry is not your man either. Sure, he'll exploit a homosexual for personal political gain, but in legislating policy in favor of them...watch him shift. The good news is, you won't get to watch Kerry waffle on this issue because he won't be given the Presidential opportunity.

social responsibilities
Social responsibilities??? American government is not bent on social responsibilities at the Executive level. Not to the degree you believe it should be anyway. We are a capitalist society. That may rub you the wrong way, but American capitalism certainly does it's fair share to keep the Canadian economy afloat. You don't want America to become more socialized...trust me.
there are a wack of issues to watch for, Iraq is just one of many.
True. I just have a hard time pinning Kerry down on any of those issues. You'll soon find out most of the voting American public can't pin him down either.

One thing I dont get is why the US elections are sooooo long. We had our's start to finish during the time span of yours, so did Austrailia. This seems to drag on for ever.
I guess the big ship 'U.S.S. American Political Process' doesn't turn on a dime.
ebuddy

James L
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 01:02 PM

My thoughts on this thread:

1) The terms patriot act and freedom fries are both idiotic.

2) While I do not agree with the far reaching access to information the patriot act provides the US government, it is their right to have and use it, unless the US citizens rise up against it. The problem isn't with the US government and act (this time around, lord knows they have screwed up enough other stuff), but with the BC Liberals wanting to outsource private information of Canadian citizens to an American company where it would fall under the patriotic act (did I mention that is a stupid name).

3)
Who cares about Canada anyway?
Another classic example of how some Americans (note I said some) think they are superior to the rest of the world, but truely do not realize they are becoming a laughing joke in the world view. Shameful comment from a person who lives in a country that us supposedly fighting for freedom and equality.

4) Bush IS a disaster, no doubt about it. You only need to look at the end result of this administrations first term (Iraq, lies about WMD and links to terrorism, the crashing economy and national debt load, protectionist laws that are getting killed and beat down in world courts, etc) to realize that.

5)
exploit a homosexual
Maybe I am tired, but I really didn't need to have that mental image in my head this early in the morning!

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2004, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by ebuddy:

Who cares about Canada anyway?
If Canada cut you off from the resources we provide such as water, oil, natural gas, lumber, hydroelectric power I guarentee you would care. The cross border trade goes both ways you know.

James L
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by shmerek:
If Canada cut you off from the resources we provide such as water, oil, natural gas, lumber, hydroelectric power I guarentee you would care. The cross border trade goes both ways you know.

lol.. probably true. Alberta actually has incredibly huge oil reserves in it, as are there offshore in BC. Maybe the republicans are trying to link WMD to us to get our oil too!

On the lumber topic, I find it interesting that the current US administration has lost every major court battle regarding the trade tarrifs (up to 27% on the softwood issue), yet they continue to try and fight it. Even more interesting is that they include Cedar in the list, which is not a structural wood, and that they do not tarriff the raw product. Why? It obviously is to try to get our raw product shipped down there and take the finishing jobs south. These tarriffs should not be in place, yet they continue to fight the issue. So, the current regime does not just look foolish on the Iraq issue, but on many issues when it comes to dealings with the rest of the world.

And just before anyone goes off about anti-US sematism, I am not against the US, just certain actions by its current regime. This does not make me anti-American, as if the definition of anti-American was to question the actions of the current regime than almost 50% of Americans are anti American according to the current polls!

( Last edited by James L; Oct 31, 2004 at 05:20 PM. )

James L
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 05:18 PM

Double post.

Forum Links
Forum Rules