Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question about ordering MacBook Pro

Question about ordering MacBook Pro
jlemons
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2006, 09:16 AM

I was thinking about ordering a new MacBook Pro from Amazon. However, I want the glossy screen. Does Apple ship MacBook Pro's with the glossy or matte screen automatically? I don't think Amazon gives you a choice. I know it would be easier to just go through Apple but I have some Amazon gift certificates that I really want to use. Thanks

PBFan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 09:26 AM

If you go to the Apple online store, it seems the MacBookPros default to the matte screen. So I'm guessing that is what Amazon would sell unless it explicitly says otherwise. If you want glossy, make sure that's what Amazon says.

That said, I don't see the new MacBookPros on Amazon yet.

jlemons  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2006, 09:33 AM

PBFan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 11:14 AM

Yup, there it is all right. But listed as Not Yet Released.

OK, no mention of screen type, so I would assume matte.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 12:13 PM

Amazon will have both in once they arrive. I usually order from them to save on the tax, plus faster shipping with Amazon Prime. Hopefully they'll get them in soon.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 09:14 PM

Also, Apple just announced refurbished MacBook Pro pricing reductions in case you are interested:

The Apple Store (U.S.)

I just ordered one that I will use until BareFeats has hard drive performance data on the C2D MBPs available. Then I will buy the fastest C2D MBP and give the Yonah MBP to my Dad.

For Aperture you would buy the 1 GB RAM model then add another RAM module.

-Allen Wicks

PowerPc = Pwnage
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 09:42 PM

UGH, "Notebook PC", its not a PC!!!

"Oh! You smell good, what is that? Macintosh."-http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/03

wingdo
Senior User
Oct 28, 2006, 01:31 AM

It's all perspective. It IS a personal computer.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

hldan
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by PowerPc = Pwnage View Post
UGH, "Notebook PC", its not a PC!!!
Oh get over it. It is so a PC. IBM used those 2 letters to abbreviate Personal Computer (which is what any consumer level computer is), the industry started generalizing the PC name to describe a DOS machine.

To the original poster if you want to be guaranteed that you will get a glossy screen it's best to buy it at only 2 places, the Apple online store or the Apple local retail store since this screen option is not automatically built-in like the MacBooks.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Also, Apple just announced refurbished MacBook Pro pricing reductions in case you are interested:

The Apple Store (U.S.)

I just ordered one that I will use until BareFeats has hard drive performance data on the C2D MBPs available. Then I will buy the fastest C2D MBP and give the Yonah MBP to my Dad.

For Aperture you would buy the 1 GB RAM model then add another RAM module.

-Allen Wicks
The price reduction on the 17" refurb seems like a joke. You lose 40gb of hard drive space, 1 gb of internal memory, .17MHz of proc speed, and don't get a C2D processor. All this for only a $600 savings. I (wrongly, I suppose) figure that a last gen refurb computer should be cheaper than the brand spanking new model Apples to Apples
$2199 (refurb price) + upgrade to 160gb hd + upgrade to 2 gb ram would pretty much be the same cost as the brand new 17" C2D. I didn't look into the pricing on the 15.4" and how it compares, but I imagine it is about the same.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
The price reduction on the 17" refurb seems like a joke. You lose 40gb of hard drive space, 1 gb of internal memory, .17MHz of proc speed, and don't get a C2D processor. All this for only a $600 savings. I (wrongly, I suppose) figure that a last gen refurb computer should be cheaper than the brand spanking new model Apples to Apples
$2199 (refurb price) + upgrade to 160gb hd + upgrade to 2 gb ram would pretty much be the same cost as the brand new 17" C2D. I didn't look into the pricing on the 15.4" and how it compares, but I imagine it is about the same.
I ordered a loaded, immediate shipping 15" for $1499 and consider it to be an excellent price:

Refurbished MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
1GB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
100GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory

After adding another GB of RAM for $125 from OWC it will be equipped like the new C2D MBPs, the only differences as noted below:

Refurb 2.0 GHz Core Duo 100 GB hard drive 4x SD FW400 only US$1625

New 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo 120 GB hard drive 6x SD FW400/800 US$2500

IMO $875 is a huge savings, making the 2.0 GHz CD a nice bargain for buyers with lesser CPU needs.

As a pro DSLR photog I happen to need the strongest Mac laptop I can get, so in a month or so this box will go to my Dad after I determine what the strongest C2D MBP configurations are for graphics, and whether or not I can tolerate the 17" form factor. The refurb is way more than enough for my Dad, overkill even but the price was too good to pass up. He is thrilled at the idea of replacing both his G3 WallStreet PB and his G5 iMac with the MBP.

EDIT: I forgot the fact that the 15" CD MBP lacks FW800, a huge issue for graphics folks like me who need fast external HDs for Photoshop scratch and for images data. The error is now fixed above.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 28, 2006 at 01:44 PM. )

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
I ordered a loaded, immediate shipping 15" for $1499 and consider it to be an excellent price:

Refurbished MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
1GB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
100GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory

After adding another GB of RAM for $125 from OWC it will be equipped like the new C2D MBPs, the only differences as noted below:

Refurb 2.0 GHz Core Duo 100 GB hard drive 4x SD FW400 only US$1625

New 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo 120 GB hard drive 6x SD FW400/800 US$2500

IMO $875 is a huge savings, making the 2.0 GHz CD a nice bargain for buyers with lesser CPU needs.

As a pro DSLR photog I happen to need the strongest Mac laptop I can get, so in a month or so this box will go to my Dad after I determine what the strongest C2D MBP configurations are for graphics, and whether or not I can tolerate the 17" form factor. The refurb is way more than enough for my Dad, overkill even but the price was too good to pass up. He is thrilled at the idea of replacing both his G3 WallStreet PB and his G5 iMac with the MBP.

EDIT: I forgot the fact that the 15" CD MBP lacks FW800, a huge issue for graphics folks like me who need fast external HDs for Photoshop scratch and for images data. The error is now fixed above.

-Allen Wicks
Also note that the C2D 15.4"ers have a DL superdrive and a X1600 (supposedly) more competively clocked at 450/450 where as the CD 15.4"ers have only a single layer superdrive an 'underclocked' X1600.
That is not a bad deal for a 15.4" MBP, really, but you do have the luxury of buying a a MBP to carry you over until you decide what you really want ! Re: the 17" refurb. On reflection it is not a horrible deal. The upgrade costs of the ram ($125 using your price) and the hd (about $160ish I'd guess) and you are saving around $300 to offset the 2.16 Core Duo vs the 2.33 Core 2 Duo.
I have my doubts about the size of the 17" as well. They are big beasts (not stupid PC Desktop Replacement big, but big enough). As far as the pricing on the new MBPs go, a 15.4" upgraded to a 160gb drive is only $200 less than a stock 17" which has a (of course) larger display and an extra USB port. $200 is not a whole lot when you are spending that much on a lappy to begin with. I realize the slippery slope here. Spend a few hundred to bump from a last gen refurb MBP to a new C2D MBP, and a few hundred to bump from a 15.4" to a 17". You gotta stop somewhere! If my MBP was going to travel more and be stationary less, I'd get a 15.4", but my MBP is going to spend most of it's life stationary with some traveling, so I ordered a 17" glossy with 3gb ram. Shiny!
( Last edited by Rev-O; Oct 28, 2006 at 05:33 PM. )
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
To the original poster if you want to be guaranteed that you will get a glossy screen it's best to buy it at only 2 places, the Apple online store or the Apple local retail store since this screen option is not automatically built-in like the MacBooks.
this USED to be true, but with the new mbp's, apple has (finally) made both versions available to resellers.
other build-to-order options (vram, hd size) are still apple online & apple store only, tho...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2006, 05:43 PM

I have a question about delivery. Do you have to be present to take the delivery or will they just drop it off at your door? I'm just curious because I'm like never at home! My store here has a few of the base mbps but none of the 2.33 and I am leaning toward the latter...thus I may just order online.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by HazelGirl View Post
I have a question about delivery. Do you have to be present to take the delivery or will they just drop it off at your door? I'm just curious because I'm like never at home! My store here has a few of the base mbps but none of the 2.33 and I am leaning toward the latter...thus I may just order online.

a lot of this has to do with where you are...
for example, you would NEVER do this in nyc LOL...

my gf (my ex, actually), had a harddrive delivered to her house in jersey; it was gone when she got home from work.

better to have something this expensive delivered to your work, or a neighbor, or...etc...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

markalan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2006, 11:12 AM

I belive Apple requires an adult signature for most deliveries.

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2006, 01:50 AM

hmmmm....that stinks i have to be around to sign for it, but i guess its worth it to protect a $2.5k machine. It's just that I'm always in class when these things are delivered. Oh well....may be worth skipping or being late
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

Forum Links
Forum Rules