Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best deal for C2D MBP

Best deal for C2D MBP
Berberman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2006, 12:39 PM

So far the best i found is on macconnection.com at 1849 bucks!

Apple.com however has them at 1800 bucks for students. Pretty sweet if you're a student but do they ask for student ID number or anything? I'm not technically a student at the moment since I graduated already although i still feel like one.
Do they ask for a copy of the student ID or anything or can anyone apply for a student discount...?

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Berberman View Post
So far the best i found is on macconnection.com at 1849 bucks!

Apple.com however has them at 1800 bucks for students. Pretty sweet if you're a student but do they ask for student ID number or anything? I'm not technically a student at the moment since I graduated already although i still feel like one.
Do they ask for a copy of the student ID or anything or can anyone apply for a student discount...?
I ordered my MacBook with a education discount, and no verification was done at the online store. I have been told that they ask for an ID at Apple Stores. It is pretty much on your honor.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2006, 02:29 PM

An educational discount I hear is about the same as a Government Employee discount which for me was $200. I also get a $100 discount from using my Sony credit card for the first time. If I was living in a tax free state like some are I would have saved an additional $160 tax, which comes to about $460 in savings. There are probably many other ways to save money legally that I haven't thought of.

ibook_steve
Nov 1, 2006, 02:35 PM

Well, if you worked at Apple and still have friends there...

Steve

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 02:36 PM

There is a one-time discount that you can get through the developer connection. It is bigger than the cost of joining as a developer, and the discount is bigger than the education discount.

SDW2001
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2006, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by buddy1065 View Post
An educational discount I hear is about the same as a Government Employee discount which for me was $200. I also get a $100 discount from using my Sony credit card for the first time. If I was living in a tax free state like some are I would have saved an additional $160 tax, which comes to about $460 in savings. There are probably many other ways to save money legally that I haven't thought of.
Just go into the Apple Store for Ed and select whatever district you are "in"...either higher ed or k-12. They can't verify it. However, you're limited (supposedly) to one purchase of each item per year. My MBP pro was $200 off. I paid tax though, so that kills it. It's almost better to get it macconection or somewhere and not pay tax. I agree about a tax free state. Nothing around here though....maybe a retailer in DE I guess.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 11:48 PM

Come to think of it, stuff shows up on eBay all of the time that is cheaper than retail and new in box. I am willing to bet it fell off of a truck, however.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 11:54 PM

I needed to show my student ID in Delaware (no sales tax) when I got mine Tuesday. They also had a free printer after rebate.

Berberman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2006, 10:29 AM

Interesting... Well at this point i think i'll go for the macconnection deal or the apple student discount deal.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2006, 02:40 PM

Looks like Amazon.com has them in stock now, but no rebate. In the past I've always seen their Apple laptops with rebates, and I'm inclined to order from them since I'm an Amazon Prime member. But if MacConnection has the rebate, I might go with them instead...

Forum Links
Forum Rules