Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > When to get the iPhone?

When to get the iPhone?
bigt0169
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2008, 01:32 PM

I am planning on buying the iPhone today. Is this the right time to buy or should I wait. I just wanted to get people opinions on when to buy the iPhone. Do I wait until they have a 3G iPhone or do I wait for version 2, or do I just buy it now. Do I wait until after Macworld. What are your opinions?

Kvasir
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2008, 01:42 PM

It's one week to MacWorld. Why on earth would you not wait and be sure there is no new/updated product released? Unless you absolutely need it right this minute, I would not buy any hardware until after MacWorld. That way you can be reasonably (not absolutely, but fairly) sure you are getting the most up-to-date version.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 01:56 PM

1) You've been a member here for almost 3 years

2) MacWorld is a week away

3) You're asking if you should buy an Apple product today (i.e., a week before MacWorld)

Conclusion: You've learned nothing in the past 3 years. Please turn in your MacNN card.

Koralatov
Senior User
Jan 7, 2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Conclusion: You've learned nothing in the past 3 years. Please turn in your MacNN card.
I second that recommendation!

On the topic of the OP's query: Wait. If you got one now, and next week they unveiled a speedbump for the same price, you'd kick yourself. Personally, I'm waiting until the next revision before I get one, partly because I'd quite like 16GB of storage [that's what I expect v2 will have], and partly to get one up on my old flatmate; he got it on the launch day, and then promptly came round to boast about it. His face did drop, however, when I showed him the Cube that I'd bought instead.

brightwindows
Baninated
dealstudio spammer
Jan 7, 2008, 10:32 PM

So you can just wait for a little while.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jan 8, 2008, 01:49 AM

3G or not, I'm getting whatever iPhone is available after the expo.
Ryan

giggs11
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2008, 05:30 PM

If you've waited this long, you might as well wait for the second revision at this point. Almost guaranteed to be more stable and have more features

bigt0169  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2008, 02:35 PM

So there was no new iPhone announced at macworld. What do you think about getting the iPhone now? Or wait until version 2 comes out whenever that may be. Probably a wwdc 08.

taldrich
Jan 16, 2008, 08:26 AM

I've been using the iPhone for 2 months now (UK). My view is that Edge vs 3G isn't that big an issue, but then again, I am in London, so the Cloud wifi network is pretty widespread. I also find unlocked wifi networks a lot of the time as well. I used to have a 3G Nokia N73 and the browsing experience of the iPhone is superior, even at 2.5G.

Bottom line: there's always an update around the corner. I wouldn't wait for 3G (could be a year, and the battery life of the iPhone is bad enough already), but if you need more than 8GB (and I've discovered I don't), then that would be the only consideration to my mind.
"most people are fools, most authority is malignant, god does not exist and everything is wrong" - Ted Nelson

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2008, 08:33 AM

I read a comparison somewhere a couple weeks ago that showed that the N95 over 3G was just as fast or slower as the iPhone on 2.5G...

taldrich
Jan 16, 2008, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I read a comparison somewhere a couple weeks ago that showed that the N95 over 3G was just as fast or slower as the iPhone on 2.5G...
Doesn't surprise me. But my point is that even if 2.5G is technically slower (and it isn't for optimised sites such as BBC mobile), the overall experience is better on the iPhone and is worth the slower download time.

As an aside, in one year with my N73, I only made or received a video call twice, with someone who wasn't in the same room as me. And both times it was a pretty useless experience which added very little to my communication!
"most people are fools, most authority is malignant, god does not exist and everything is wrong" - Ted Nelson

Forum Links
Forum Rules