Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is there life after 30 ?

Is there life after 30 ?
GK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2002, 01:34 AM

I' have two more years to go until I hit the big 30. And I'm getting worried. How did your life change after that traumatic event ?

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2002, 01:58 AM

Is there life after 30 ?
no

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2002, 01:58 AM

Your ears fall off and your anus moves to the side of your head.

What the hell do you expect to happen?

Stop worrying. Wait until you're really old and can't maintain your bladder or something aweful like that. For one, if you're a guy you have nothing to worry about. Women like mature men for a zillion reasons namely 1) you have a pretty good idea as to how women think and 2) have a pretty good idea as to how to properly treat a woman in bed.

Another plus is you learn not to give a crap about stupid trends that last 2 secs in pop culture anymore, because heh, seen that, done that and you are hopefully wiser for it and chicks like a man with common sense who can see through bulldoody.

So eat healthy, drink moderately, get stoned every now & then, exercise, avoid TV and read a good book once in a while. And cheer up.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: osiris ]
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Lerkfish
Jan 17, 2002, 02:03 AM

thirty's nothing. FORTY is hell.

godzappa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2002, 02:34 AM

I think it works like this

teens, we all know

20s, pretty fun, specially college (or late teens for us from Europe), women, parties, iPods

30s, kids, end of any sort of sex life with women under 20, women over 45 find you very attractive most are married (but willing), kids, no iPod (cant afford one, your Kids need books for school)

40s, basically the same as above except you own a Minivan or pickup truck and start listening to country music alot and grow a mullet. You get promoted to a middle management job with your own office and secretary but without any real purpose or knowledge of what it is youre actually supposed to be doing

50s, you get a sports car, you support your kids but really just want the little s#ts out the house so you can start living your life again

60s, you either a) stick with your middle (or if youre lucky upper) management job till youre entitled to your full pension at 65, and move to the burbs with the now heavilly wrinkled wife, or
b) sell your house, quite your crummy job, pull off a tax scam, pick up some money grabbing 18 year old at Fluid in Toronto, send the wife to her mothers, fly to Paris on "Business" and party till you die an early death, partying with the money grabbing wench and drowning in hard alcohol.

Well thats what I reckon happens...
PowerMac G4 DP867 [DDR]
PowerMac G4 400 [Yikes]
15GB iPod 3G
iSight
2003 MINI Cooper

shmerek
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2002, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by GK:
<STRONG>I' have two more years to go until I hit the big 30. And I'm getting worried. How did your life change after that traumatic event ?

</STRONG>
This is the kind of question a 15 year old asks about turning 20 and like orisis said your ears fall off and your anus moves to the side of your head... if your lucky...

M�lum
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2002, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by GK:
<STRONG>I' have two more years to go until I hit the big 30. And I'm getting worried. How did your life change after that traumatic event ?

</STRONG>
Well, if you already look at "turning 30" with this attitude, it can only become a nightmare.

it's just a number.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 17, 2002, 04:24 AM

No.

Once that red light in your palm goes bright, your number is up.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2002, 04:32 AM

Originally posted by shmerek:
<STRONG>

This is the kind of question a 15 year old asks about turning 20 and like orisis said your ears fall off and your anus moves to the side of your head... if your lucky...</STRONG>
No way, in 15 to 20 you get all sorts of perks.
2X-30 you see nothing. Your car insurance doesnt even drop by that much.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Captain Obvious ]

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2002, 01:34 PM

too right there is! face it. it's downhill all the way from 18 anyway. you just gotta keep fighting it.

i'm 36 and a hundred times cooler and more rock'n'roll than lots of 18-20 year olds i meet in life. i still dress like a weirdo, have a 'hot' gf, drink, play my music LOUD, take drugs, go to clubs and do all the things i did when i was 18. the only difference is that now i enjoy it all the more because i no longer have the "life will go on like this forever" feeling you have when you're a kid. [i s'pose it helps that i've always been young looking for my age- a real pisser when i was trying to buy booze at 16 and looked about 10 but now i can pass for late twenties it's not such a curse ]

i've always said "i can't help growing old but i'm f**ked if i'm going to grow up!"

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2002, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by GK:

</STRONG>
Well, the marching band was kind of nice. A bit loud, but because my hearing kind of went at 29, that was OK. On my 30th birthday, I was graced with a permenant case of piles (the pile fairy comes to us all on the eve prior to the great event), but there is more than enough "comfort medication" to handle it.
My ears immediately sprouted big dark hairs. Same with my nose.
I immediately had an uncontrollable urge to dump my wife, go to baseball fantasy camp and chase after high school senior girls.
It is harder to push out a dump, but I am told that the prostate won't totally cut off my urine flow until I am 40.
Kidney stones are smaller, gall stones are bigger.
My gout gets me down some days, but with that aspirin a day I take for the high blood pressure, I find I can control the horrific swelling in my joints rather nicely.
I... ummm... uhhh...
I'm sorry. What was the question?

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2002, 04:40 PM

Hell no, I'm dead. My corpse turns 35 next week.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2002, 05:48 PM

Is there life after 30?

Not the way I eat... I took one of those life expenctancy quizzes online and it said I would die at 28 of a heart attack. Although I firmly maintain that this doesn't apply to me because I am more highly evolved than your average human and am able to remain healthy on a diet that would ordinarily stop the heart of an elephant. I guess we'll see, only 9 more years to go.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2002, 06:19 PM

Life doesn't begin until you are 30
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Dogma
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2002, 07:30 PM

I bleedin well hope life doesn't end at 30.

I'm 23, nearly 24, and starting to feel more like 20 than the 17 that I always hope I'd stay. My five year plan has turned into a ten year plan and I'm getting hairier and more "down to earth".

Yep, growing up, what's it all about?

Life is shit, the sooner people get over that the better. You get born, you die, and the bit in the middle is called sex. You spend 9 months trying to get out and the rest of your life trying to get back in again. Spend it all before you die, because you can't take it with you, and you wouldn't want to leave it to the ungrateful bastards you leave behind. etc etc.
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2002, 07:40 PM

I think it kind of funny how we refer to how old we are. "I'm 23...almost 24." No-one says "I'm 42 and a half." We almost always round down.

I hit 30 this last year. I don't feel any different that when I was 29. I'm not 18 anymore, that is painfully obvious. i don't get the excercise I should, but I'm not terribly out of shape.

I no longer worry about the next paycheck....that part of it is nice.

I have a wonderful relationship with my wife. That part is nice. (The sex is still there, but that's all you'll get out of me on that topic.)

All in all, my life has just started to get nicely under way. I have to agree with someone above who said it starts at 30.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

curmi
Senior User
Jan 17, 2002, 07:52 PM

30 is no different really than 20. You are a bit older that is all.

I'm 32. I feel no different than when I was 22. I've got a few grey hairs I guess, but I started getting them in my 20s.

In fact, in my 30s I have more fun than in my 20s. For a start, in my 20s I was at uni or getting paid piddly for my first job. Now I'm getting a good salary so I can buy Apple stuff.

Equipment seems to all work well too, so that shouldn't worry you.

Dogma
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2002, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by boots:
<STRONG>I think it kind of funny how we refer to how old we are. "I'm 23...almost 24." No-one says "I'm 42 and a half." We almost always round down.
</STRONG>
I was using a figure of speech, it was parody. Jeez!

I must admit I've looked about 23 ish for about 8 years now, and have never had a problem with that. I just hope I stay that way - our family doesn't age well, however my Dad started going bald about my age, and I've got absolutely no chance of that happening anytime soon - hopefully the hairy gene works with me. My Mothers side is quite Germanic, and although I'm definitely blond, I am bigger, hairier and more olive skinned than my Dads side - so you never know.

Anyway, you're as old as who you feel. Which makes me currently about 19. No complaints here.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2002, 07:58 PM

dammit if life begins after 30 i'm screwed.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2002, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by m a d r a:
<STRONG>too right there is! face it. it's downhill all the way from 18 anyway. you just gotta keep fighting it.

i'm 36 and a hundred times cooler and more rock'n'roll than lots of 18-20 year olds i meet in life. i still dress like a weirdo, have a 'hot' gf, drink, play my music LOUD, take drugs, go to clubs and do all the things i did when i was 18. the only difference is that now i enjoy it all the more because i no longer have the "life will go on like this forever" feeling you have when you're a kid. [i s'pose it helps that i've always been young looking for my age- a real pisser when i was trying to buy booze at 16 and looked about 10 but now i can pass for late twenties it's not such a curse ]

i've always said "i can't help growing old but i'm f**ked if i'm going to grow up!"</STRONG>
Thanks, mate, you do give me inspiration sometimes.
weird wabbit

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2002, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by Dogma:
<STRONG>

I was using a figure of speech, it was parody. Jeez!</STRONG>
I know, it just triggered the thought...and I've seen people post stuff like that in seriousness, so I thought I'm make the observation.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Jan 17, 2002, 08:54 PM

Well I'm 33 and I'm still breathing. I drink and smoke like there's no tomorrow too.

Weird thing about turning 30-ish is I've started to find both older and younger women attractive. Not sure if that's a universal thing or if it's just me. I could be looking at a women who's like 40 and saying in my mind "hmmmmm I wouldn't mind doing her" and I could aslo be looking at a woman who's like 20 and saying the same thing.

I think I am definitely going through some-sort of "mid-life-crisis" however.

Mike

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2002, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>
Weird thing about turning 30-ish is I've started to find both older and younger women attractive. Not sure if that's a universal thing or if it's just me. I could be looking at a women who's like 40 and saying in my mind "hmmmmm I wouldn't mind doing her" and I could aslo be looking at a woman who's like 20 and saying the same thing.
</STRONG>
Not just you Mike. I discovered the same thing. Hell, I remember when a girl of 25 was an old hag in my eyes. How soon things change

andi*pandi
Jan 17, 2002, 10:59 PM

the middle 20's were pretty cool. Had enough money for concerts, plays, fun things, had friends that wanted to stay up late, do fun things, and talk. Had the energy to do so as well. Also helped that my professional life was pretty unsatisfying so I wanted to make up for it by having lots of fun.

Towards the end of the 20s, a lot of my friends got permanently coupled, so plans with them got more complicated, got harder to get together, find things that everyone would like, close to where everyone lived. I blamed it on their couplehood, and said I'd be different, but then I went and got engaged/married too and was just as bad. Having a spouse means built-in plans pretty much. When you can entertain each other at home, why go out??

Now in the 30s, getting together with friends midweek is an impossibility, and weekends need to be either planned month in advance, or spur of the moment easy things like a movie or dinner or dropping by. Having a more stimulating job means that I'm tired when I get home, hungry, and all I want to do is watch Buffy in peace.

Of course, once the baby gets here, I imagine what little life I have left will go straight out the window.

So I guess the answer is, age isn't the factor that determines lifestyle, it's the state of couplehood and life stage you want to be in. Some people are ready for marriage and parenting at age 20. Some wait for 40. Either way, you trade in the clubbing and whatnot for cozyness.

Dammit, now I want to go dancing. &lt;yawn&gt; Maybe not. :o

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2002, 01:01 AM

Trust me...life begins at 30

you'll get to a point where you look bak at your 20s or (gasp!) teens and think....omg...I wore that? I was so goofy when I did that, etc...it's a mellowing stage instead of the "Hey, let's get together and network, man...bla bla bla..."

I look at 20 ish people and laugh...life goes on and the next gen takes over being dorky...not to say i'm not ...it's just I don't play the "game" anymore...

But don't get me wrong...if you are in your 20s...that's what you do...a right of passage...do it...play the game if you want....just know it doesn't last...at least for me

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2002, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by godzappa:
<STRONG>I think it works like this
30s, kids, end of any sort of sex life with women under 20, women over 45 find you very attractive most are married (but willing), kids, no iPod (cant afford one, your Kids need books for school)
</STRONG>
LOL I have a friend who is married and recently we talked about how cool the iPod was....mmmmm but he said....but you know, the kids!

LOL...funny how small the experience is

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2002, 01:13 AM

Hi all what a funny thread, in May ill turn 30 and for me it feels as if thats when things are gonna happen. So for me its Bong all day, work on my Apple in between and just plain have fun. Remember your not dead until your lying 6' bellow.

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jan 18, 2002, 01:21 AM

Is there life after 30 ?
funny, I turned 30 today!! I will let you know how it feels but right now its just weird. I think I want to go to Chuck E cheese today, or better yet I think I'll pee in the ball pit at Mcdonalds,
Party,... na, I'll think I'll just have a beer.....
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2002, 01:44 AM

maxelson, that was hilarious!

Actually , life takes a major turn at around twenty five, not thirty. After 25 it starts to feel like you are older every time you blink. You stop wanting to act 21 all the time, and yes, life takes on less color. Life gets more dull. People will try to deny it, but you do have more responsibility and that takes its toll. If you have raised kids you know what I mean. Adulthood (30 plus) is rewarding but often comprised of monotony, duty and selfless compromise.

That is why people say: "youth is wasted on the young"
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

Dogma
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2002, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by boots:
<STRONG>

I know, it just triggered the thought...and I've seen people post stuff like that in seriousness, so I thought I'm make the observation.</STRONG>
Hey, don't worry about it. I'm not that petty, I'm just awfy sarcastic at that time in the morning. (it was about 2am when I was posting last nite...)

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2002, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
[QB
Of course, once the baby gets here, I imagine what little life I have left will go straight out the window.

[/QB]
No. You have a life, just a different one. So the door to the dance hall closes. You know what? It really didn't matter. Your outlook changes, and not in a bad or whistful way.
That said, the wife and I got a baby sitter for the evening and we are getting the HELL out of the house!
Pizza and a little LOTR, is all. And it'll be better than heading out with a slew of my friends and drinking and cigaring til dawn.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2002, 11:59 AM

Oh, Andi- congrats on the young'un! When is that happening. So, as I said, the dance hal is closed, but DAMN! Wait til play groups start happening!
And SillyMonk is 100% right. Youth IS wasted on the young. It was in my case.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2002, 12:12 PM

Yes, congratulations Andi! Welcome to the MaCNN Association of New Parental Units. Your life is about to take a radical turn, and a very rewarding one! There's absolutely nothing else like parenthood.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2002, 12:36 PM

I could be looking at a women who's like 40 and saying in my mind "hmmmmm I wouldn't mind doing her" and I could also be looking at a woman who's like 20 and saying the same thing.
Oh yeah, been there, done that. And since I just turned 50 ( ), I find myself eyeing some of those hot 60-ish babes.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2002, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by DBursey:
<STRONG>Yes, congratulations Andi! Welcome to the MaCNN Association of New Parental Units. Your life is about to take a radical turn, and a very rewarding one! There's absolutely nothing else like parenthood.</STRONG>
MacNN ANPU?!? ANPU? Huh. I suppose it is as good a title as any other! AAPAC? Association of Amateur Parents and Caregivers? Oooo. This is fun. Gotta figure out a way of working Drool and hugely loaded diapers in there. Sore nipples, too. Uhhhm. Not mine, mind.

andi*pandi
Jan 18, 2002, 01:41 PM

thanks guys! ETA mid-July. I can't wait, the suspense is killing me! &lt;pokes stomach&gt; grow faster in there!

It is interesting with this life change happening, how other doors are opening... I've been welcomed into the Cult of Motherhood already, where hours at a time can be spent talking about symptoms, maternity clothes, and cravings... did I ever expect that? Noooo...

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2002, 02:30 PM

I think it kind of funny how we refer to how old we are. "I'm 23...almost 24." No-one says "I'm 42 and a half." We almost always round down.
remember when you were a kid? if someone asked you how old you were you always tried to make yourself as grown up as possible, so you'd say "i'm 11 and 7/12ths" rather than "11" or "11 and a half".

no. it's not just you. i find that as i get older the age limit of what constitutes the oldest woman i can find fanciable stays about 6-8 years ahead of me. the trouble is that the low end [ie. what's the youngest i can find attractive] never catches up accordingly. it seems to have stayed where it was when i was young, ie. around 16-18. that's not so bad at the moment, but i hope i don't turn into a dirty old man when i get older

you'll get to a point where you look bak at your 20s or (gasp!) teens and think....omg...I wore that?
not me. i've always been punkrock, so when i look back at my old pics i think "aah! those were the days!" and feel glad that i wasnae a "follow whatever's in fashion this week" trendy.

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2002, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by m a d r a:
<STRONG>
the trouble is that the low end [ie. what's the youngest i can find attractive] never catches up accordingly. it seems to have stayed where it was when i was young, ie. around 16-18. that's not so bad at the moment, but i hope i don't turn into a dirty old man when i get older </STRONG>
Too late!

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2002, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
<STRONG>thanks guys! ETA mid-July. I can't wait, the suspense is killing me! &lt;pokes stomach&gt; grow faster in there!

It is interesting with this life change happening, how other doors are opening... I've been welcomed into the Cult of Motherhood already, where hours at a time can be spent talking about symptoms, maternity clothes, and cravings... did I ever expect that? Noooo...</STRONG>
NONONONONO! DON'T POKE IT!!!! It may get... impatient. Like MY little viking marauder.
The readers digest vesrion:
5AM
HONEY!!!
huh? wha?
Water broke! (that's what was said... what I heard was "some thingbroke, there's water all over the floor")
*stumble out of bed-stagger about looking for a mop and try to find the cracked pipe*
What are you DOING!!?
You said a pipe broke.
NO, YOU MORON! HERE! RIGHT HERE!

It took about 3 full minutes for light to dawn on Marble Head.

Now, there IS a moral to this. The child was kicking back the curtain a full two months early. The night before, we had gotten... uhhh.... frisky. Now the doctor said that had nothing to do with it, but I dunno. Awfully suspicious, if you ask me.
So. The moral. DON'T POKE THE ZYGOTE!

And yeah. The motherhood club. It is unreal, ain't it? Talking about some very in depth stuff with complete strangers. A lady in the grocery store wanted to talk episiotomy. I put a stop to THAT discussion, I tell you... and pretty quick, too. That's nothing to be talking about with a stranger... over the avocado bin... with the husband right there and all. I mean, there wasn't even a "what's your name", "I live down the street", "what a lovely knit cap" or anything! No. Right into, "are you going to let them cut the..."YEEEAAARGH! Is there NOTHING private in that whole endevor?

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2002, 04:47 PM

Right into, "are you going to let them cut the..."YEEEAAARGH! Is there NOTHING private in that whole endevor?

Yeah, that snipping of the perineum thing makes me queasy. A barbed catheter is barely more appealing.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

andi*pandi
Jan 18, 2002, 04:47 PM

LOL maxelson... light dawning over Marblehead... and it ain't the sunrise!

yer right, I guess we want him/her to bake for the allotted time, so I'll try and be patient. frisky? see what life is like in the 7th month...

And while the cult of motherhood is somewhat comforting in its knowledge and support... god no, I don't want to discuss episiotomy in public! I have nice midwives who say they usually don't need to do them... It's a nice lie, and I like it... yep... none of that for me... &lt;whistles to self&gt; la di da...

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: andi*pandi ]

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2002, 05:06 PM

My wife said NO WAY to the e word.
Fortunately the child was 5.5lbs. No need. It was not an issue. OMYGOD. There I go. Talking about it. IT'S A TRAP, I TELL YA!
Of course, all turned out fine. She's great, healthy, boogery, squirmy and everything else that goes with baby.
I'm out. Time to go home.
Good weekend, all!

DBursey
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2002, 08:24 PM

Mine was 9 lbs 6 oz. The episiotomy was a given once the tearing started on its own. Ol' dad hung in there though. I was so busy I never did get around to fainting!

No epidural either. They decided to give her a shot of gas ... then with her huffing and puffing on the mask they finally realized the stupid cannister was empty! Yep, my wife was a real trooper that day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules