Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Stupid question, but need quick answer... Please read

Stupid question, but need quick answer... Please read
GK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2002, 07:29 PM

I have just signed up for ATT broadband and am looking for a cable modem. I am looking at either the Linksys (BEFCMU10) or the Best Data (X110) modem. (other suggestions are highly appreciated)

Linksys: IEEE 802.3/ 10BaseT, IEEE 802.3u (100BaseTX)

Best Data: IEEE 802.3/ 10BaseT

Both claim to have up to 43Mbps downstream and 10Mbps upstream

What am I missing, shoudn't the bestdata, which doesn;t support 100BaseTX, be slower ?? Which one would you choose ?

Any info is highly appreciated.

PS I knoe that this is more appropriate for the networking forum, but I asked a similar question a couple of days ago, and got one response. Hope the moderators won't close my thread until I get a few answers. Thanks.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2002, 07:34 PM

ATT only does 1.5Mbps anyways so both are fine.......

Cipher13
Feb 26, 2002, 08:27 PM

I'd go the LinkSys... I've had good experience with their hardware...

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2002, 09:06 PM

Chalk another for LinkSys

Arty50
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2002, 10:07 PM

They don't give out free modems with the service? When I lived in Boulder, CO 2 years ago this was true with DSL; but every broadband ISP in CA gives away free modems with the service.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2002, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by Arty50:
<STRONG>They don't give out free modems with the service? When I lived in Boulder, CO 2 years ago this was true with DSL; but every broadband ISP in CA gives away free modems with the service.</STRONG>
You can rent one for 10 bucks extra a month, or buy one for a couple hundred bucks and get that 10 dollars a month off.

I myself am renting the modem. Its a 3Com, and works beautifully

GK  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2002, 10:35 PM

Thanks for your suggestions.

I thought about renting one as well, but there is currently a promotion at Amazon, where you can get the bestdata for 85$ (incl. shipping). ATT would charge me 10$ a month for th rent, so I thought it's cheaper to buy in the lnog run.

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2002, 12:12 AM

Basically the fastest cable companies allow downloads speeds are around 3Mbps, or at least I get that with Cox whenever it is up. Cable modems though can download data at 43Mbps. Consumers will not see this speed until cable companies switch from hubs to switches. Switched cable will provide the full bandwidth to every user(work just like switches in a normal network). This will be awesome, but still some time away.
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2002, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by jguidroz:
<STRONG>Basically the fastest cable companies allow downloads speeds are around 3Mbps, or at least I get that with Cox whenever it is up. Cable modems though can download data at 43Mbps. Consumers will not see this speed until cable companies switch from hubs to switches. Switched cable will provide the full bandwidth to every user(work just like switches in a normal network). This will be awesome, but still some time away.</STRONG>
This is also assuming that your provider is willing to provide such bandwidth, and has the head end controllers to do so.

BTP
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2002, 02:48 AM

Unrelated to this thread, I called AT&T to ask them what modems work or they recommend, and they said they all work. Hmmm.

So, I hopped on www.pricewatch.com and found some an inexpensive 3Com cable modem for 70 some-odd dollars.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

Forum Links
Forum Rules