Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Cannot Drag items in programs

Cannot Drag items in programs
OmegaPhilSix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2003, 12:29 PM

I have a problem..

I got a New iMac G4/800MHz. It came with 10.2.3 on it and i recently updated to 10.2.4 and the securit6y update. Well at some point from buying the iMac and now i have lost the ability to drag items within programs.
Now i can drag just fine in the finder and desktop. But lets say i open itunes and want to make a new playlist and drag from my library into the new playlist, i cant do it... i wont even look like its dragging. I cant open a folder of MP3s and drag them to itunes either. (if i try this method, it renders the program i am dragging into unresponsive as far as click and moving the window around, the only wat to activate that application again is to click on the icon in the dock.

More examples:

Entourage, can't drag messages to folders ( i get some long error number)
Toast, can't drag files from the finder to the toast window to be burned (No error message)
iPhoto, can't drag photos to newly made album.
iTunes, Problem listed above.

Now, i have tried to repair permissions from both the boot drive as well as booting from the install CD and running the permissions. Also repaired with disk first aid.
I did an archive and install of the original 10.2.3 that came with it and it worked when i first tried it out and left it alone went to bed and when i woke up this morning i went over to it and it was back to its problematic state.
I tried safe boot as well and it worked for a bit so i figured it was an extension thing, so i went through the extensions folder but they all look like Apple only extensions.

THis is very annoying, someone please help.javascript:smilie('')

P.S. I have tried going back to 10.2.3 and updating to 10.2.4 then using the combo 10.2.4 still nothing.

Help pleasejavascript:smilie('')
Jimmi
[email protected]

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2003, 01:23 PM

Try deleting the following files:
~/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.UserCache.csstore
/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.LocalCache.csstore
Then reboot.
Corrupted cache files are a frequent cause of odd bugs and app crashes in Jaguar.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

xtal
Senior User
Mar 7, 2003, 01:42 PM

A program called Dragster fixed dragging problems for me some months ago. I'm pretty certain that my problems were confined to the Finder though.

Dragster: http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...d=16804&db=mac

Good luck!

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

OmegaPhilSix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2003, 08:58 PM

I tried the launch services preferencesand it works temporarily but now i am back to square one and the same fix doesnt fix it anymore.

Please someone offer some assistance here PLEASE. Dragging is not a problem in the finder only in iTunes and iPhoto and toast and entourage.

Help me please

SecretAgentX
Mar 8, 2003, 03:07 AM

Create a new user in the accounts preferences pane in System Preferences.

If you no longer experience the problem when logged in as the new user you have some corrupt preferences in your main user account.

You can try deleteing preferences from your users/you/library/preferences or you can run a utility such as Norton Utilities or Drive 10 and the like to try to repair the damaged pref/s.

Forum Links
Forum Rules