Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Iraqi Mob Killed Britons

Iraqi Mob Killed Britons
shmerek
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 01:41 AM

The artilce is here from The Washington Post. What a horrible way to die.

eklipse
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 05:23 AM

Originally posted by shmerek:
...What a horrible way to die.
Agreed, but they didn't have to be there in the first place and they certainly shouldn't have been doing what they are accused of doing. BBC article.

Again, 6 Allied soldiers are killed and there is a media storm with names, faces, tributes etc. What about the hundreds of nameless, faceless Iraqi civilians that have died?

I wonder what happened to the Iraqis welcoming troops with open arms and flowers?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2003, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by eklipse:
I wonder what happened to the Iraqis welcoming troops with open arms and flowers?
They're surfing the internet as free as you and me...From this article: Iraqis take advantage of unfettered internet access
"This is a new sense of freedom for us. We are not in a very secure society yet, but at least we can say whatever we like," said Firas Behnam, 27, a worker at the former State Company for Internet Services center in the neighborhood of Adil.

At Baghdad's Internet centers, customers talk to relatives or price new refrigerators, ovens, electronics and cars. They look for jobs or products to import into Iraq. And some check out chat sites, once off-limits to Iraqis, such as www.arabia.com and www.hodood.com.

eklipse
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
They're surfing the internet as free as you and me...From this article: Iraqis take advantage of unfettered internet access
So the Britons were killed by a denial of service attack?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2003, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by eklipse:
So the Britons were killed by a denial of service attack?
You should read your own link. It describes in fairly good detail how they were killed. Some police officers were killed here in the US as well.

I realize that you prefer 25 million Iraqis to live under oppression. I prefer that they live free and secure, and I'm happy that my nation is leading the way and doing something about it.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2003, 09:02 AM

While not wanting to get into one of the senseless arguments that used to be so in vogue here, I wonder what is going to happen in Iraq? I know that the media generally reports more on things like soldiers being killed etc, but one hears very little positive news from Iraq.

It seems as if some of the reconstruction work there is being sabotaged by Iraqis who want the Iraqi people to get more impatient than they already are. The almost daily killings of US soldiers and now the killings of British soldiers as well by a mob is worrying. It seems that the British soldiers were not overly tactful with respect to the local population - For Muslims dogs are unclean, and sniffer dogs in their homes is not a good idea.

But what will happen in Iraq in the long term? Will the situation eventually calm down or will the violence increase, forcing the US and the UK to withdraw eventually? What do you think?
weird wabbit

eklipse
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by theolein:
But what will happen in Iraq in the long term? Will the situation eventually calm down or will the violence increase, forcing the US and the UK to withdraw eventually? What do you think?
This is largely up to the occupying powers. I should think it is in their interests to patch things up and get the hell out of there as soon as possible. The longer they stay, the faster the unrest will spread and the violence will intensify. If things continue along this downward spiral the only definite outcome is further bloodshed.

The people have their cake, they now want to eat it. Let us hope they are allowed to before the cake goes bad - the cream is already going sour. I'm hungry.

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 12:42 PM

I am sure the Iraqis would be much happier if the occupying forces put as much energy into reconstruction of the utilities (water, power) as they do into getting the oil flowing.

As for my comment about a horrible way to die just imagine the only thing that is stopping you from dying is the number of bullets you have and knowing that you will be running out very soon. Hopelessness is a horrible thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules