Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Multi-screens on Mini?

Multi-screens on Mini?
danangdoc
Nov 20, 2008, 08:47 PM

Is it possible to run two monitors on the intel core-2-duo mini? I know the CPU can do it, but the mini has one graphic card. Just wondering if anyone knows of a work-around. This would be to have different apps displayed simultaneously.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2008, 10:41 PM

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 10:08 AM

You could get a USB video adapter, but performance will, I'm sure, be less than satisfactory.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 10:55 AM

those seem to only be for XP shif? nice idea though

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2008, 03:44 PM

Matrox DualHead2Go supports 2 displays at 1024x768 with a Mac mini.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 03:53 PM

dang you mduell. another thing to add to my want list.

kelchm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2008, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Matrox DualHead2Go supports 2 displays at 1024x768 with a Mac mini.
Just remember that the dock and menu bar will get split across both monitors.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2008, 10:08 PM

You know for the price of these suggestions, you might as well just consider getting another mini. A old, slow, used mini would be more and better IMO
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by kelchm View Post
Just remember that the dock and menu bar will get split across both monitors.
Not if you move it to the side of the screen.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2008, 01:05 PM

That might help with the dock, but not the menu bar.

I also think getting a used older mini is probably the better solution in the end. It takes some persistence though to find really cheap used minis. They manage to retain their value very well.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2008, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
That might help with the dock, but not the menu bar.

I also think getting a used older mini is probably the better solution in the end. It takes some persistence though to find really cheap used minis. They manage to retain their value very well.
Here's a novel thought: rather than buying a second mini, sell yours and get an iMac. Refurbs from Apple are great deals. And you get the monitor for free

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2008, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Here's a novel thought: rather than buying a second mini, sell yours and get an iMac. Refurbs from Apple are great deals. And you get the monitor for free
That's an excellent suggestion indeed. The only catch is that right now the fun starts at $1299.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...deals/mac/imac

(It's a decent deal for what you get though.)

danangdoc  (op)
Nov 24, 2008, 03:16 PM

When I discuss my computer, I always tell people it's a Mac-Mini. I never say "I have a mini" because that often causes people to draw the wrong conclusion, and, well, you guys get the drift....". In any event, yes, Ted N. and I are thinking alike. Getting a 2nd Mini would be an inexpensive solution, and a provide me with a hell of a lot more flexibility in the long-run (like I can take it with me, with the small wireless keyboard and mouse). Cheap and easy to upgrade too! I just had 4 gigs of Ram installed (yes, it only sees 3.18 Gigs, but that's more than 2 gigs) for $150 including tax, and I'm going to install a 500 gig HD shortly. And they can stack on top of my LaCie external drive as well. This will be my solution. Thanks all! And I will look at the Matrox Dual-Head - thanks Duell!

danangdoc  (op)
Dec 5, 2008, 03:06 PM

Just one observation since my last post. Used core-2 duo Mini's are as rare as hens teeth. Anyone thinking of trading up to a macbook and wanna sell your mini (specs above)? I'm in eastern PA. I also note Apples 'non-Black Friday' sales didn't include the mini, and they never have them in their refurb store. Guess that says alot about the mini - in demand and never breaks!

thechidz
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2008, 01:07 AM

I agree with above about the price not justifying it. when will apple come out with a mini-tower????

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2008, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by thechidz View Post
when will apple come out with a mini-tower????
General consensus seems to be not anytime soon. Anyway, how should a mini tower be a replacement for a mini? The mini tower is an entirely different product.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2008, 10:08 PM

It kills me that you can't just slap a simple DVI to Dual VGA splitter on the Mini's DVI port and get dual displays. If you boot to Windows and install GMA950 drivers you can get it to work, which means the reason this can't be done under OS X is a driver limitation and not a hardware limitation.
( Last edited by tinkered; Dec 10, 2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: edited for clarity)
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2008, 04:00 AM

The Mac mini has regular DVI, not Mini DVI.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2008, 09:01 PM

The Mac mini has regular DVI
Hmm. For how long?
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2008, 04:05 AM

The Mac mini has always had regular DVI. Since its introduction in Jan 2005.

The next release (if there is one) will likely come with MDP.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2008, 02:48 PM

The Mac mini has always had regular DVI. Since its introduction in Jan 2005.

The next release (if there is one) will likely come with MDP.
Agreed. Do you suspect that the miniDP will somehow be implemented into the Mac Pro as well, do you think it will have regular DIsplayPort, or do you think it will retain the DVI? (It all depends on the vid card, I know, but how far is Apple gonna take this miniDP thing?)
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2008, 03:27 PM

Mini's hold they're value so well because apple doesn't update them. So a 2 year old mini is basically the same specs as a brand new one. Hence the price stays up. If Apple updated the mini every time they updated the MacBook and kept them on par, used minis would be dirt cheap and the world would be a better place with amazing little 20 watt computers running everything.

Also Minis are often in the refurb store, they just sell out in a few hours so you have to stay on top of it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2008, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ted L. Nancy View Post
Agreed. Do you suspect that the miniDP will somehow be implemented into the Mac Pro as well, do you think it will have regular DIsplayPort, or do you think it will retain the DVI? (It all depends on the vid card, I know, but how far is Apple gonna take this miniDP thing?)
The surprising this is that Apple has chosen MDP for the 24" screen. Unless they ship a dongle or start selling a second version of the display (highly unlikely) I'd expect MDP on the MP graphics cards as well. Two would make sense so people can still connect two Apple displays. DVI is not really necessary since you can go from MDP to DVI with a dongle. And right now there's no reason the believe Apple's screens can deal with DVI input so MDP it is.

But since MDP is so small I'm wondering if you could possibly fit two MDP and a DVI-I onto the same PCIe card.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2008, 01:30 PM

But since MDP is so small I'm wondering if you could possibly fit two MDP and a DVI-I onto the same PCIe card.
I think you could get three MDP and DVI-I on a PCIe card.

Compatibility is the only upside to DP over MDP, so I think it's in Apple's interest to put MDP everywhere.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Compatibility is the only upside to DP over MDP
Yeah, but for how long? I hope to see more and more companies utilizing MDP, since Apple has opened it up for that. From where I'm sitting, it makes sense to use MDP over DP since it saves so much space (I mean, it is 1/2 the size of a USB port for crying out loud!) and can easily be connected to DP via an adapter.

My pipe dream: Take 2 USBs off the mini to make room for... A mini with 2 MDPs = excellent media PC. Throw in an ExpressCard slot where the hunkin DVI is now... and I'll just stop now before I get out of hand.
you--><--me
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules