Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 5.1 Speakers w/Optical audio support for iMac

5.1 Speakers w/Optical audio support for iMac
Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2008, 10:09 PM

I've been looking around for a good set of 5.1 speakers for my iMac, I found some really nice ones, but I found out that they all used analog inputs, something the iMac doesn't support without getting an external sound card. But I remembered that the iMac has the toslink support for digital audio, I haven't found any speaker systems that are cheap with toslink support (Logitech Z-5500). So does anybody know any good 5.1 speakers that work with the digital output of the iMac?
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2008, 11:32 PM

The Z-5500's do indeed support Toslink -- that's how they were hooked up to my Mac Mini for about a year. :-P They also support digital coax, as well as the regular 6-channel analog.

You'll need one of those $2 adapters for your Toslink cable so that you can plug the one end into your iMac though -- one of these things: http://www.shaxon.com/part_images/10/PTLA-05.jpg

Velocity211  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2008, 12:15 AM

I know they do, perhaps I wasn't so clear in my first post. I meant that the Z-5500 is the only speaker system I managed to find that supports toslink, they are too expensive though. I'm asking if anyone knows of any other speaker systems that are cheaper than the Z-5500 that also support toslink.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2008, 04:34 AM

I don't know if there are any that much cheaper than the ones you found.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2008, 08:48 AM

Those are some of the cheapest as you need a speaker system which decodes Dolby Digital and DTS because your computer will only output encoded 5.1.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

P
Dec 1, 2008, 11:33 AM

Consider a cheap home-theater-in-a-box, ie a pack of speakers and receiver intended for the living room. You can often find them at low prices on sale. They often include a DVD in the box, but I guess you'll have to live with that.

Note that using the optical out port only works for audio from DVDs or other sources with pre-recorded Dolby Digital or DTS audio. It will not work with real-time 5.1 audio from games.

auero
Dec 13, 2008, 11:27 AM

I own them Z-5500's and they're great speakers. I used to have them connected to my mac pro until i got rid of it. Now with me remodeling my bedroom, I cant use them with my macbook pro (they're mounted to the ceiling and my plasma uses them for sound output. It's TERRIFIC! Highly recommended!

Velocity211  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2008, 11:35 AM

Well I finally have my sound system set up. I bought a FireWave external sound card, and got some EXTREMELY cheap X-540s on ebay. Sounds good enough for me. It was definitely a huge upgrade from the built-in iMac speakers. Thanks everybody for your help!

indigoimac
Senior User
Dec 13, 2008, 03:03 PM

If you can find the predecessor to the z5500, the z680, they are basically the same thing. The z5500 is nicer looking, but they both have the same inputs and outputs. I've used mine with optical from my MacBook Pro a number of times and it's always worked well.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Velocity211  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2008, 03:05 PM

I know, when I was searching around I found the Z680, I thought I had found my match. I was really excited until I began to shop around. Not one single place on the whole internet had it for sale. It was sad.

jalyst
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2008, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by indigoimac View Post
If you can find the predecessor to the z5500, the z680, they are basically the same thing. The z5500 is nicer looking, but they both have the same inputs and outputs. I've used mine with optical from my MacBook Pro a number of times and it's always worked well.
indigo // fellow posters...

I've had a z-680 system sitting around for years doing next to nothing. I'd love to know how to hook it up to my mac mini!
Can you enlighten me as to how I'd go about this?

merry x-mas & a HNY

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2008, 12:15 AM

jalyst,

It depends on how old your Mac mini is. If you have a Mac mini with Intel processor, then your mini outputs a analog as well as digital (S/PDIF Optical Digital) signal. The latter is what you need.

The cable for that is called TOSlink with a mini-plug adapter on one side. It looks like this:

You can also follow Tomchu's advise and get a regular TOSlink cable, and a separate mini-plug adapter.

-t

jalyst
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
jalyst,
It depends on how old your Mac mini is. If you have a Mac mini with Intel processor, then your mini outputs a analog as well as digital (S/PDIF Optical Digital) signal. The latter is what you need.
The cable for that is called TOSlink with a mini-plug adapter on one side. It looks like this:

You can also follow Tomchu's advise and get a regular TOSlink cable, and a separate mini-plug adapter.
-t
It's a 1st gen intel core2duo, alas there hasn't been many gens/revision to speak of! So yes it has S/PDIF....

Hmm could swear my z-680 came with one of those (maybe not with the mini plug built in)
Either it or my old sound blaster Audigy....

Even if I cant find something lying around, I can prolly buy exactly what you describe at any electronics/music store right?
Thanks for the help!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Even if I cant find something lying around, I can prolly buy exactly what you describe at any electronics/music store right?
Thanks for the help!
Yes, Readioshack, Walmart, Best Buy, they all carry it.

You'll get it much cheaper online though.

-t

jalyst
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2008, 11:12 AM

Yes, Readioshack, Walmart, Best Buy, they all carry it.

You'll get it much cheaper online though.

-t
Found something that wasn't described as a mini-plug at one end but 3.5mm....
I'm not sure if that's the diameter I'm lookinhg for but I'll find out soon enough xmas morning!
Tis xmas now here actually; tis 1:10am Aust EST... Only $35 so no biggie....

Have a good one all, tnx for the feed-back!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2008, 03:04 PM

Yes, 3.5 mm = mini-plug.

I didn't know you were in Australia, all the stores I listed probably don't exist down under.

-t

jalyst
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2008, 09:26 AM

Yes, 3.5 mm = mini-plug.

I didn't know you were in Australia, all the stores I listed probably don't exist down under.

-t
Alas not, tis the big assumption many make online!
As the the vast majority of internet goers are northern hemisphere people. particularly north America...
But there's some fairly good local stuff online.. thanks mate.

seasons well wishes
( Last edited by jalyst; Dec 28, 2008 at 08:19 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules