Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New macbook and latest update - 4GB RAM issues still persist?

New macbook and latest update - 4GB RAM issues still persist?
bearcatrp
Senior User
Dec 16, 2008, 12:02 AM

Did the latest update fix the problem with upgrading memory problems? Would like to max my new mac book to 4 gb but with all the stories of issues after upgrading, I don't want the headache. I usually buy my memory from OWC. Apple still wants too much vs OWC prices. Can anyone confirm this?
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 09:15 AM

Apparently not. There have been varying reports.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...ith-4gb-of-ram

I was originally thinking of getting it as a BTO right from Apple, but im kinda glad i didnt. i just hope this is a software/firmware issue and not a hardware issue as i too plan on getting 4GB eventually.

Cheers

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2008, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Apparently not. There have been varying reports.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...ith-4gb-of-ram

I was originally thinking of getting it as a BTO right from Apple, but im kinda glad i didnt. i just hope this is a software/firmware issue and not a hardware issue as i too plan on getting 4GB eventually.

Cheers
no problems here, 4gb ram from apple...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
no problems here, 4gb ram from apple...
I think the OP is aware the 4GB RAM issue does not affect RAM purchased from Apple but 3rd party vendors.

I believe the OP, as well as myself, would rather not pay the premium from Apple and go to Crucial instead.

Anyone know if 10.5.6 fixed this issue?
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

hadocon
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Proudest Monkey View Post
I think the OP is aware the 4GB RAM issue does not affect RAM purchased from Apple but 3rd party vendors.

I believe the OP, as well as myself, would rather not pay the premium from Apple and go to Crucial instead.

Anyone know if 10.5.6 fixed this issue?
What premium?

Apple has changed their insane RAM pricing policy. Their prices for RAM are now competitive with anyone else. Certainly within $10 or $20 of Crucial or Kensington, which I think is reasonable considering that it's coming pre-installed (not that installing RAM is hard).
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by hadocon View Post
What premium?

Apple has changed their insane RAM pricing policy. Their prices for RAM are now competitive with anyone else. Certainly within $10 or $20 of Crucial or Kensington, which I think is reasonable considering that it's coming pre-installed (not that installing RAM is hard).
2 things;

You're still paying a premium, I never defined what amount is a premium and what amount is reasonable. a 4GB kit on crucial is $25 less than Apple.

Apple should be working with manufacturers to create compatible chips. Apple knows their own secret to making chips work in their machines. Why not share the secret and create some real competition?

Anyone know if 10.5.6 solved any of the RAM issues?

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 03:27 PM

There is no "secret" the Apple knows to "making chips work in their machines". Apple uses standard PC industry chipsets -- before it was Intel, now it's NVIDIA.

The only thing that's important is that the RAM you put in has the minimum rating required for that machine (the '8500' in PC3-8500, for example), and has the appropriate SPD timings tables.

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
There is no "secret" the Apple knows to "making chips work in their machines". Apple uses standard PC industry chipsets -- before it was Intel, now it's NVIDIA.

The only thing that's important is that the RAM you put in has the minimum rating required for that machine (the '8500' in PC3-8500, for example), and has the appropriate SPD timings tables.
You don't find it interesting the amount of success people have had installing non-Apple provided RAM?

I do.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 03:49 PM

I've read just as many reports about problems with Apple-provided 4 GB kits as well as 3rd-party 4 GB kits.

"Apple's" RAM is just Crucial/Kingston/Corsair/Mushkin/whatever, with an Apple sticker on it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2008, 04:54 PM

As Ars notes, it's not just third party RAM: "Following the launch of the new models, owners who purchased and installed 4GB of RAM suddenly found that their systems were freezing on a regular basis, even though both RAM modules were functioning properly (in some cases, both modules were purchased from Apple). After downgrading to 2GB or 3GB, the problem disappeared, prompting users to blame a hardware and/or driver issues."

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2008, 04:55 PM

This poster on another forum site seems to think all problems have been solved. Someone might want to talk to him more.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=617450

Kodachrome_Project
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Proudest Monkey View Post
I paid a bit extra for Apple installed ram, a time and headache saver. While I have never had a problem with Crucial ram, I did once have a total nightmare with OWC on a powerbook. It eventually cost me nearly a thousand dollars in lost revenue due to lack of productivity. I will never make that mistake again as my time and my client's time is worth more than saving $100 on buying third party.

BTW, my MBP is running great w/ 4 GB of Apple ram....

fletch33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2008, 03:20 PM

my macbook 2.4 hasnt skipped a beat running 4GB of crucial ram. i know there are problems being reported out there but i havent had any with my crucial memory.
"i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

deeper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2008, 10:13 PM

Knock on wood, but I haven't had any issues with my 2.4 MacBook Pro unibody running 4 GB OWC memory.
2008 (October) 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Dec 26, 2008, 08:30 PM

Upgraded to 4GB from owc. No problems so far.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

joe
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2008, 10:45 PM

Ditto on my 2.4GHz unibody MBPro with a 4GB upgrade from OWC. No problems here.

jimd144
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2008, 01:05 AM

4GB ram from Amazon and no problems in 7 months I have owned the computer. I do heavy ram intensive things like Final Cut, VMware, and Photoshop.

mac redneck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2008, 11:54 AM

2.4 GHz unibody MBP with 4GB crucial from the egg. No problems so far.
iMac 24", 2.4 C2D, 1TB, 4GB, 10.5.7
Late 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4 C2D, 500GB, 4GB, 10.5.7

clockworkwar
Dec 27, 2008, 12:12 PM

Apple like all companies do not make their own stuff, the ram will be from a third party, the screen will probably be from Samsung etc etc.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2008, 12:15 PM

I'm getting a 4gb kit from Newegg of Kingston RAM. I've got it in my iCal to come back here and report on it after a few days use. You should know by Wed. next week if it works or not. But judging from the responses above me, seems like it should work.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
Upgraded to 4GB from owc. No problems so far.
Upgraded six laptops myself and no issues with OWC ram.

Forum Links
Forum Rules