Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Print setup problem

Print setup problem
danangdoc
Feb 4, 2009, 03:01 PM

I just downloaded the latest drivers for my HP laserjet 2100, since I couldn't get the new Lexmark to work. It's connected to my mini via USB, which is plugged in. I can make the printer create a test page (not from the computer) so I know the printer is working. The HP Laserjet icon is on my screen, and I did the install. When I try to do a print job, from any app (Numbers, Pages, etc.) it says "Printer is off line". Did the same thing with the Lexmark 4500 I had bought - did the install, etc, and even did a wifi print from the mini, but otherwise also said "Printer is off line". Is there some switch I have to turn on in the software? Both printers show up in the PRINT AND FAX window, with the Laserjet as "default". When I click on it, in the PRINT AND FAX window, it says "Printer Ready" and it shows an image of my Laserjet. It was never, and I mean never, this difficult to set up a printer with windows and I'm kind of disappointed with Apple right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ibook_steve
Feb 4, 2009, 05:00 PM

Check System Profiler in the USB section to make sure that the computer sees the attached printer. Not seeing the hardware is only thing I can think of that would make it indicate that the printer is "off-line".

Also, try resetting the printing system (right-click in list of printers in Print & Fax) and re-adding the printer. You could also try just deleting and re-adding the printer.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

danangdoc  (op)
Feb 4, 2009, 05:43 PM

Steve,

I re-installed and got as far as having the printer status as "Printing" and the status window shows "GENERICCLASS: WAITING FOR DEVICE" and "CONNECTING" but it never does. I realize this may be a compatibility issue between OSX and HP. I moved the USB cable to another port behind the MINI, and unplugged the ones I didn't need connected. I am using a Radio Shack parallel to USB cable, and during installation, it recognized that; finally showing my printer as "HP LaserJet 2100 Series". I went to the local Apple shop to discuss, and they basically wanted to sell me yet another HP printer, telling me that OSX has a "lot of printer compatibility issues". I really think this is an OSX problem, but can't prove it. Just frustrating to have 2 printers - the HP and the new Lexmark, and neither one will work. Will probably have to go back to my Compaq if I ever want to print anything. I prefer my mini, but at least I know with Windows it would only take me 90 seconds to install and print. Thanks.

danangdoc  (op)
Feb 4, 2009, 05:45 PM

Also, how does one find the "System Profiler" or the "USB section" in OSX? (I'm a recent convert)

Thanks.

ibook_steve
Feb 4, 2009, 07:02 PM

Wait, this is an old parallel printer, not native USB? If so, that's a completely different set of issues. You would need appropriate software (drivers) for the cable (probably this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2036259), and I doubt Radio Shack makes software for that for Macs.

You can still check to see how the machine is detecting the printer: Apple menu -> About this Mac -> click More info to open System Profiler (or in the Utilities folder) and go to the USB section there.

I think you should focus on getting the Lexmark working, assuming that one has USB. Can you give more details on printer models and available interfaces? The only "Lexmark 4500" I see is this beast: http://www.lexmark.com/lexmark/produ....html?tabId=7#

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules