Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow Leopard install / iTune / Deauthorise computer

Snow Leopard install / iTune / Deauthorise computer
Matthew Attoe
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2009, 08:34 AM

Hi,

When I get my Snow Leopard I am going to do a completely fresh install. I know i don't HAVE to, but I want to, to help clear out some of the old junk that's been on my machine for ages.

Now, I've only just got my iPhone and as such have only been purchasing via the iTunes Store for a few weeks (so many apps, so little time ). So, my questions are:

1) Before I wipe my hard drive, do I need to deauthorise my computer in iTunes and reauthorise it after the fresh install is done? Or can I just leave it as-is, as it is, after all, the same machine (apart from what will be a different OS)?

2) I religiously back-up my iTunes library, and I've noticed that the apps I've purchased are in my iTunes folder. When I copy my iTunes folder back over to the new install, will the apps show up again, just like the music does?

Any others hints and pointers would be very much appreciated.

As always, many thanks,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Attoe View Post
1) Before I wipe my hard drive, do I need to deauthorise my computer in iTunes and reauthorise it after the fresh install is done?
No.

Or can I just leave it as-is, as it is, after all, the same machine (apart from what will be a different OS)?
That's right. The MLB serial no. is the same and that's what counts.

2) I religiously back-up my iTunes library, and I've noticed that the apps I've purchased are in my iTunes folder. When I copy my iTunes folder back over to the new install, will the apps show up again, just like the music does?
They should. But even if they don't, no worries. If you double-click an app (or drag it onto the iTunes icon) iTunes will 'import' it.

Matthew Attoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2009, 11:38 AM

Hi Simon,

Thank you for the answers

I have to ask though - what is the MLB? Main Logic Board?

Thanks again,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2009, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Attoe View Post
I have to ask though - what is the MLB? Main Logic Board?
Exactly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules