Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > MacPro 2008 3,1 10.9.5 - Increasingly longer boot times and SMC console errors

MacPro 2008 3,1 10.9.5 - Increasingly longer boot times and SMC console errors
Matthew Attoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2016, 05:48 PM

Hi everyone,

I hope that you had a good holiday season and are enjoying the New Year.

I have an issue with my MacPro 2008 3,1 and hope that someone can find the time to help me, please.

I have been using a Samsung 830 256GB SSD for my boot disk for a couple of years and the performance has been great. When i booted the Mac, it would only take less than 2 "spins of the cog" before the Mac had booted up.

Then, one day I had a hard crash of the Mac - I think it was when I was shutting the machine down (was stuck on grey screen for what seemed an eternity but probably about 10-15mins as I was putting my son to bed at the same time) so I had to hold the power button in for 7 seconds to get the Mac to power off.

Since then, I noticed that occassionally I would get error messages appear down the screen when I booted up (but not on every boot up) and that it was starting to take up to 7 or 8 "spins of the cog" to get booted up.

As my SSD was getting full (only had about 40GB free) I thought that I would buy a Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD and do a completely fresh install of Mavericks (from a USB stick if that helps). Which I did a couple of weeks ago. Initially, things seemed great (no more booting error messages) and back to 1-and-a-bit spins of the cog to boot up. Yay!

However, the Mac is now taking longer and longer to boot up and is now taking up to 12 spins of the cog to boot up.

I have looked in the Console and found these comments which look like errors to me but mean nothing to me:

12/01/2016 21:19:20.000 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR: smcReadData8 failed for key $Num (kSMCKeyNotFound)
12/01/2016 21:19:20.000 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR $Num kSMCKeyNotFound(0x84) fKeyHashTable=0x0
12/01/2016 21:19:20.000 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR: smcReadData8 failed for key LsNM (kSMCKeyNotFound)
12/01/2016 21:19:20.000 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR LsNM kSMCKeyNotFound(0x84) fKeyHashTable=0x0
12/01/2016 21:19:20.000 kernel[0]: SMC::smcGetLightshowVers ERROR: smcReadKey LsNM failed (kSMCKeyNotFound)
12/01/2016 21:19:20.000 kernel[0]: SMC::smcPublishLightshowVersion ERROR: smcGetLightshowVers failed (kSMCKeyNotFound)
12/01/2016 21:19:20.000 kernel[0]: SMC::smcInitHelper ERROR: smcPublishLightshowVersion failed (kSMCKeyNotFound)
12/01/2016 21:19:20.000 kernel[0]: Previous Shutdown Cause: 5
12/01/2016 21:19:20.000 kernel[0]: SMC::smcInitHelper ERROR: MMIO regMap == NULL - fall back to old SMC mode

I am wondering if this is what is causing by slow boot times now.

I have tried PRAM resets (holding for up to 3 sets of chimes), resetting the SMC, booting with no USB devices attached, complete OS reinstall from scratch, ran Passmark MemTest 6.1 for 24 hours with no errors...

One thing I did wonder is if it could be anything to do with the coin cell battery - this is the original battery still from 2008. However, the date and time are retained correctly...

If anyone can offer any help that would be great.

I can post the whole boot cycle entry from the console if this helps, but I didn't want to spam the board needlessly.

Many thanks in advance,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 12, 2016, 05:51 PM

Date and time are retained correctly after leaving the machine unplugged for how long?

Also, I've seen some similar failures when the Northbridge heat sink comes away from the chip itself.

See: 7/11/2014 Apple/Mac/OS X News, Tips and Tech Articles - xlr8yourmac.com

P
Jan 12, 2016, 06:15 PM

As mike implies, that date and time is retained while the machine is plugged in doesn't mean that the battery is good. The time & date only rely on the battery when the Mac is without power. Replacing the coin cell battery is cheap and easy, so if you think that that might be the issue, just do that first.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Matthew Attoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2016, 12:27 PM

Hi,

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

Apologies for the tardiness of my reply but sometimes life just gets in the way of other things, doesn't it?

The date and time were certainly kept for at least 24 hours with the power cable pulled from the wall. Today I tried replacing the battery but that hasn't made any difference.

One thing I have noticed though is that the longer boot times only happen when I do a cold boot; if I restart my Mac then it reboots in 1 to 2 spins of the cog. I can repeat this behaviour all day long it seems.

Thanks again for replying.

All the best,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules