Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Audio Missing on Older Video Clips in FCPX 10.2.1

Audio Missing on Older Video Clips in FCPX 10.2.1
Anto39x
Jul 16, 2015, 08:36 AM

Hi there....

I have been using FCP for only a few years now... I only ever use it for home videos... summer vacations... so I moved my entire iMovie library over a few years back and I have been using it to create my home movies ever since. But recently after I updated to the very latest release 10.2.1 I noticed that my older clips taken on my Sony MiniDV camera aren't playing the audio at all.... but if I visit the imported file folder and play the original file in Quicktime it plays perfectly.

I'm really starting to panic as I have years of old video that is in that format and now I can't create a project and export these if the audio isn't working.

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.4, and I tried re-installing an older version of FCP X 10.1.4 but it's having problems with the newly updated FCP Events library files... so that doesn't seem to be a fix either.... I now have two folders... an older named folder "Creative Media Old Final Cut Projects and Events" and a newly created FCP folder "Creative Media's projects and events" which after intensive review has my complete and most up to date video content.

Has anyone got any ideas as to how I could fix this... or if this has happened to them also.

Also... when going back over my events library I have noticed alot of events that have one name don't actually apply to the video content.... another concern... I suppose the best thing to do will be to manually go through every event clip and rename appropriately if necessary.... again just asking if anyone had a similar experience and if there was another workaround...?

Thank you for reading my cry for help and if you have any comments or suggestions please feel free to drop me a reply.

Regards,
Anthony

Irish MacUser & MacAddict!!

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 64GB Ram with 512GB SSD Drive

P
Jul 16, 2015, 02:39 PM

Can you check what audio codec those video files use? You can see it in QuickTime by using Command-I while playing.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Jul 21, 2015, 01:56 PM

FCP is very picky about where media files live.

Also I wonder what the audio settings are in FCP?

Anto39x  (op)
Aug 6, 2015, 03:00 PM

Hi there P...

Thank you so much for your reply. I have found a clip that plays without audio inside FCPX 10.2.1 and opened it now in Quicktime and did the Command I like you suggested and the dialog box doesn't show the full information but below is what it does display:

DVC-PAL, 720 x 576 (767 x 576)
Linear PCM, 16bit little-endian sign...

Does that make any sense to you... I wanted to send you the screen shot but I don't seem to be able to do this on this system.

Any suggestions or comments... most welcome.

Regards,
Anthony

Irish MacUser a& MacAddict

Anto39x  (op)
Aug 6, 2015, 03:03 PM

Thanks for your help andi-pandi...

Not sure where to find the Audio Setting... I have looked in Preferences and the settings all look fine.. as my Panasonic HD camcorder audio all plays perfectly without issue... actually... those clips even display the audio waveforms while the older clip have blank waveforms in display... would that point to the issue..? and possible solution..?

Regards,
Anthony

Irish MacUser a& MacAddict

Forum Links
Forum Rules