Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > RAM in Dual 867

RAM in Dual 867
JUnderwood
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2003, 12:47 AM

Ok so if the G4 chip can't fully use DDR Ram than can I put some like PC133 ram in?

Will it lower performance or confuse the computer... what would happen? Anyone have some experience with this?

Thanks
Jonathan

madsenj37
Mar 7, 2003, 01:24 AM

If its designed to use DDR Ram then that is what you must use. It has a different architecture than SDRAM.
- Joel

JUnderwood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2003, 04:28 PM

well that bites.

So it is not like PC100 and PC133 I assume.

Thanks

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2003, 05:09 PM

No, it is like PC2100 and PC2700. You can use 2700 (333MHz) in the dual-867, but you can't use 2100 (266MHz) in the dual-1GHz or 1.2GHz models.

(Same rules apply to the current line; low-end takes PC2100, faster models 2700.)

Look at is this way: by buying 2700 DDR RAM now, you may be protecting your investment. It will probably work in your next Mac, where PC100 most certainly will not.

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2003, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by JUnderwood:
well that bites.
Well you will see some benefits from DDR in the MDDs.
DDR SDRAM increases memory bandwidth not only to the processors, but to all elements of the system. Direct memory access (DMA) allows system elements such as a hard drive controller or a graphics processing unit to send and receive data directly from main memory, without going through the processors. This added memory bandwidth allows system elements to function independently at high data rates, boosting total system performance.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2003, 06:18 PM

I would also only use top quality RAM as my dual 867 is very, very picky. In fact, I am yet to find a stick it really likes, and have resorted to the stock 256MB for now!

Peace,

Marc

passmaster16
Senior User
Mar 8, 2003, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by Marc2211:
I would also only use top quality RAM as my dual 867 is very, very picky. In fact, I am yet to find a stick it really likes, and have resorted to the stock 256MB for now!

Peace,

Marc
crucial.com I have my 867MDD stacked with 2GB of it and no issues. Tried a cheaper RAM and caused an occasional kernel panic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules