Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Major speed bump imminent!

Major speed bump imminent!
WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 08:25 PM

Just check out macrumors or appleinsider for today!

It looks like we will see a major speed bump in about 5-6 weeks. My guess is that the current 1.6 SP will become a 2.0ghz SP, same motherboard, price and config. The current 1.8DP will become a 2.2DP, same price. And the 2.0DP will become either a 2.4 or 2.6 DP, same price. The current 1.8DP looks like the best bargain right now but won't in 8 weeks.

mikeh22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 09:02 PM

good cause I already planned to buy in 8-12weeks

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by mikeh22

good cause I already planned to buy in 8-12weeks.
Obviously these are rumors, so don�t bet the farm. However, the old rule of thumb about buying always holds�buy when you absolutely need the new machine, not before. In this case, we pretty well know that we will get some nice speed bumps in the Jan-Feb range, probably a big step in the architecture of the G5 machines later in the spring and then the 3ghz processors in late summer. Given that info, anyone can pretty well decide when they want to step in and how long they can afford to wait.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2003, 09:22 AM

It's nice to even HEAR about serious speed bumps.

During the G4 days, we were stuck at the 400 - 500MHz range FOREVER!

tr
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:

ha ha...i remember when my order actually got DOWNGRADED from 500mHz to 450mHz! (the ol' sawtooth fiasco.) but, i'm still using my 450 to this day, and it's been a workhorse.

tr

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh

Exactly! And 2-3 years ago everyone had to talk about the "megahertz myth" to defend the situation. But now Apple is going as fast as it can to get up to Intel's speeds, matching megahertz for megahertz, which is excellent. And the magazines and reviews are doing all the "defending" of Macs to PC users by declaring the G5 one of the best current technologies out there.

-Q-
Dec 5, 2003, 11:10 AM

I'm torn - I want Apple to keep updating processor speeds as fast as it can so it can keep up with the Intel/AMD side of things, but I'd also like my machine to be top of the line for as long as it can.

Ah well. I got my machine when I needed it. Can't complain about that.

Jayznkelc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2003, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
I'm torn - I want Apple to keep updating processor speeds as fast as it can so it can keep up with the Intel/AMD side of things, but I'd also like my machine to be top of the line for as long as it can.

Yeah, it kind of sucks that my expensive Mac will be outdated pretty quick, but I'm glad Apple showing they mean business. I think that Apple really wants to keep the G5 the world's fast personal computer. HA Alienware!

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by WizOSX

we pretty well know that we will get some nice speed bumps in the Jan-Feb range, probably a big step in the architecture of the G5 machines later in the spring and then the 3ghz processors in late summer. Given that info, anyone can pretty well decide when they want to step in and how long they can afford to wait.

Today�s AppleInsider says almost exactly these dates. Looks good for the future!

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=260

bbales
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:

And ... that's what I still have, my little ole' 400 MZ G4, with its original video card and everthing. I'm seriously mulling an upgrade for the processor!

On the other hand, this computer has served me very well for the past 3 years. It's just kind of ... s-l-o-w.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by Jayznkek

Yeah, it kind of sucks that my expensive Mac will be outdated pretty quick, but I'm glad Apple showing they mean business. I think that Apple really wants to keep the G5 the world's fast personal computer. HA Alienware!.
I think you and -Q- have summarized the feelings of a lot of people right now. First we have a large pent up demand by people with older G4s who've been waiting for G5s. They want to upgrade as soon as possible. But, since the G5 processors are now coming on stream from IBM quickly, of course Apple wants to get them into machines as soon as possible. Everyone has gotten used to a slower change in megahertz but over the next 6-10 months the machines will change quickly. If you have to buy right now because need or desire dictates, then buy, but don't be surprised or frustrated when a faster machine appears in a month or so for the same amount of money. Go into your purchase with your eyes open.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 12:20 AM

Remember everyone -- perhaps they will ANNOUNCE faster machines in 12 weeks... but shipping them is an entirely different story
Be happy.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2003, 12:44 AM

well, i have been planning on a new desktop purchase in spring 2004....looks like my timing will probably be just about right i hope.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by mac freak

Remember everyone -- perhaps they will ANNOUNCE faster machines in 12 weeks... but shipping them is an entirely different story.
But now it appears they will announce in about 6 weeks and ship in 12.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 01:02 PM

If the PowerMacs get such an extreme speed bump, the rest of the range is going to look rather lacklustre... hint hint

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Krypton

If the PowerMacs get such an extreme speed bump, the rest of the range is going to look rather lacklustre... hint hint.

Good point. My reading of the AppleInsider article is that the new chips give off less heat. Am I right? If so, we should see a G5 iMac fairly soon.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
Good point. My reading of the AppleInsider article is that the new chips give off less heat. Am I right? If so, we should see a G5 iMac fairly soon.
Lower heat production will be a factor, but I wouldn't be surprised if the iMacs went backwards/static Mhz wise like the iBooks if they are to incorporate a new chip.

Leonis
Senior User
Dec 7, 2003, 01:26 PM

Well

Back in the Motorola day (on G4) we all were afraid of the Mac/Apple future because we don't know what's going to happen. We only saw tiny speed increase on every revision which wasn't worth a damn at all. We hold off our purchase.

Now we are in IBM day and we see massive increase in speed and much more aggressive developement in the pipe and we still hold off any purchase because we are afraid the machine we get will get obsolete in a few weeks.....but come on.....this is the norm. Seeing our machine get obsoleted quick means that the platform has a healthy future. Which is a GOOD THING�.

Which scenerio do you prefer? Slow progress and no future? Or aggressive improvement and bright future?

I just go the Dual 2GHz G5 on Monday. And some people may think I am stupid to do this now. But well, this time I really don't care. I know something better is coming. But what I know is that our platform is here to stay and I don't have to worry about those "Apple is dead" comments.

I actually wasn't planning to get the new machine. But someone gave me a decent offer on my Dual GHz SlowSilver� for his new video studio. He may hire me for a project when his studio is completely set up.....so why not?
( Last edited by Leonis; Dec 7, 2003 at 01:33 PM. )
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 04:23 PM

"According to earlier reports, the Power Mac 8,1 will sport a 'U3 revision II' system controller and include support for 533 DDR II RAM. The units are also rumored to feature a ASIC controller built around the 90nm technology and support a front side bus of up to 1.5Ghz."

Sweet! Now if only there were faster HDs...

J

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by Leonis

I just go the Dual 2GHz G5 on Monday. And some people may think I am stupid to do this now. But well, this time I really don't care. I know something better is coming. But what I know is that our platform is here to stay and I don't have to worry about those "Apple is dead" comments.
The machine will cover you for quite a few major OS and software upgrades to come. If more people in these forums had your attitude we'd have more happy people here. Of course, we know that within the next couple of months Apple will be selling 2.6+ DP machines for less than what you paid. But that shouldn't put a damper on your pleasure and pride in a great machine. You bought when the time was right for you! Congratulations.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2003, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:
"According to earlier reports, the Power Mac 8,1 will sport a 'U3 revision II' system controller and include support for 533 DDR II RAM.
Sounds like bull to me.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Eug

Sounds like bull to me.
Why?

digital_dreamer
Dec 7, 2003, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
Why?
For one, redesigning any custom Northbridge bus controller is is a serious and expensive undertaking, especially this one (with high-speed dual CPU buses). Wise engineers would do well to make sure its design would last several speed bumps.

It�s doubtful that Apple would go back to the controller drawing board when it�s only been out a few months, unless there are some serious flaws hindering progress.

regards,
MAJ

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2003, 07:09 PM

It appears our guesses were pretty close. It also appears that Apple will make the PowerMac line all dual (2.0, 2.2 and 2.4) probably to distinguish it from a more consumer oriented line (G5 iMac?). It also appears that the PMs will have a more advanced, redesigned motherboard as well.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=320

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2003, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:

What difference does it make if your Mac is "top of the heap?" It still is fast and that's what matters. Other than bragging rights, your notion makes no sense. I still have original 400MHZ G4 Sawtooth. Works great as "bottom of the heap."

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 12:49 AM

Bought my dually cuz I could afford it at the time. If it wasn't a G5 it was gonna be a new (or another) motorcycle.

Am I bummed cuz my dual 2 gigger is gonna be "low end"? Nope.

My philosophy is you buy when you can, and you buy as powerful as you can. Go into it knowing anything you buy is gonna be old hat in 6 months.

At least it's not MicroShite. Anymore it seems like it's getting to the point that with each underwhelming update of windoze you need a new pc.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

redJag
Senior User
Dec 13, 2003, 03:22 AM

I dunno, I think the way I did it worked out well. And I got the "horrible" no cache 733 G4 It still does what it needs to do, although a bit slow for my taste. I hope it to last me about 3 more months before I get a dualie of whatever is available.

edit: I would be so so happy if they added another optical drive. I can't believe they fell back down to one, I was so hopeful after the MDD bit.
Travis Sanderson

Forum Links
Forum Rules