Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Whst's NY MSNBC to do?

Whst's NY MSNBC to do? (Page 2)
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2007, 08:10 PM

Don Imus is a typical conservative and the typical conservative media will try to cover for him.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2007, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Orion27 View Post
Liberal bullshit pure and simple. The liberal media promotes hip hop and the lowest common denominator and then blame us for consuming their product. Pure racist liberal bullshit. I call bullshit!
Ah yes, the pain of introspection can be quite damaging, can't it? You're so pathetically ignorant of who promotes what, it almost isn't worth responding. You don't even realize that what you're saying is in direct contradiction to your supposed conservative principals, which is that people are responsible for their own actions. Now you're saying that they're not, because "liberal" media makes them buy hip hop and "the lowest common denominator". You can blame it on the liberal media when it's convenient, and at the same time blather on about individual responsibility. So you're saying people have no free choice, and that they're "made" to do things, yet they have the personal responsibility not to do those things. The fact that people are buying hip hop and the "lowest common denominator," and not Mozart kind of blows your personal responsibility crap right out of the water, doesn't it, and it also makes you a perfect example of a scared old white guy, who feels threatened by things he doesn't understand, so he needs to attack them, instead of realizing that they don't affect his life one iota, unless he allows them to. It must really suck to be so fearful of everything, to the point you have to attack it.

I don't know how you got to the point in your life where you decided that the word "liberal" was a representation of everything evil and that conservatism was a representation of everything good, but it, once again, is quite obvious how extraordinarily closed minded you are, and how you simplistically paint everything either black or white. Just because you have a wallpaper paste brush in your hand, don't consider yourself an artist.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
imus is not liberal is he? i always thought he was conservative.

in any case this whole this is silly at best
I hope you don't have a nappy headed daughter. By dint of her heritage, she not only nappy, she a ho!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
Why do you say it's liberal, I think these issues cut across ideological lines. Take Coulter for instance, she made slurs against homosexuals and both liberal and conservatives slammed her for her remarks. The same goes for Imus, its not a liberal issue as much as you seem to see things liberal vs. conservative.
Everything to him is liberal vs conservative. Apparently, he's color blind, so he doesn't realize that some people can actually see colors other than black and white.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2007, 08:56 PM

I hope you don't have a nappy headed daughter. By dint of her heritage, she not only nappy, she a ho!
i don't listen to him. if you don't like him don't listen to him.

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
Everything to him is liberal vs conservative. Apparently, he's color blind, so he doesn't realize that some people can actually see colors other than black and white.
MSNBC is a liberal outlet. GE as parent, well let's see how it's handled.

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
Show me one news article or blog starting with "Conservative shock jock Don Imus..........."

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2007, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
i don't listen to him. if you don't like him don't listen to him.

Don't you know? The "liberals" make him listen. It's all their fault.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2007, 09:09 PM

Show me one news article or blog starting with "Conservative shock jock Don Imus..........."
Keep spinning, and showing your comprehension skills.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2007, 09:11 PM

the silliest part is sharpton.

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 09:14 PM

Interesting Debate on Hannity and Colms, Some nappy headed ****** comedian defending Don Imus. Made me want ot puke.

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 09:15 PM

Interesting Debate on Hannity and Colms, Some nappy headed ****** comedian defending Don Imus. Made me want to puke.
I've been censored! What the f---k

Railroader
Banned
Apr 9, 2007, 10:10 PM

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 10:17 PM

I reported this three hours ago. Imus has unofficially entered rehab.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 9, 2007, 10:39 PM

I reported this three hours ago. Imus has unofficially entered rehab.
You didn't provide a link to a conservative media outlet like I did though.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2007, 12:15 AM

Ah Ha! So it wasn't his so called 'liberal bias' that made him make those remarks, it was his drug addiction. And as we all know, drugs are nonpartisan.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2007, 01:10 AM

Eeesh. Once again, Political Correctness has taken mankind "...to stupidity, and beyond".

Dork.
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2007, 07:12 AM

I think it's funny that now that this story has gotten so big, the phrase "nappy-headed hos" has been plastered all over the media. I wonder if that's what people intended when they started making a fuss over it.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2007, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
I think it's funny that now that this story has gotten so big, the phrase "nappy-headed hos" has been plastered all over the media. I wonder if that's what people intended when they started making a fuss over it.
The irony is overwhelming.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2007, 09:25 AM

How old is Imus? I mean, really, he's just out of it now. This by no means me making an excuse for him. I just think when someone like Imus is still around you either expect him to say insensitive things, or don't renew his contract. Rehab is a giant lie.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
How old is Imus? I mean, really, he's just out of it now. This by no means me making an excuse for him. I just think when someone like Imus is still around you either expect him to say insensitive things, or don't renew his contract. Rehab is a giant lie.
Age has nothing to do with it. Imus always used this type of comedy. If anything, he's toned it down over the years.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2007, 09:44 AM

Maybe not in this case. But previous generations are usually prone to using less politically correct language since it was ok when they were in their prime.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2007, 09:59 AM

Maybe not in this case. But previous generations are usually prone to using less politically correct language since it was ok when they were in their prime.
True, true.

IMO people like me who enjoy racist humor, be it a good Polish joke, or a Jew joke, maybe even a good joke about the Pope, a Wop and a Kraut in a boat somewhere... whatever...will have to die out before homogonized life can be allowed to continue in these humorless united states of america. But I will not stop until the holy of holies "N' word is also removed from the vocabulary and stricken from the dictionary, and its use forbidden by even those hip rappers.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2007, 10:01 AM

Well, it's basically become Seinfeld. You can make any joke you like, so long as you're the person victimized in the joke. Like the Dentist who converted to Judaism purely for the jokes (So it was ok).

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2007, 10:13 AM

Well, it's basically become Seinfeld. You can make any joke you like, so long as you're the person victimized in the joke. Like the Dentist who converted to Judaism purely for the jokes (So it was ok).
Interesting take, and perhaps the next level of racist humor.

btw, if you like Seinfeld, try to catch a replay of the Comedian Award. great stuff.

Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2007, 03:47 PM

Imus is getting railroaded by Sharpton and Jessie...sometimes those guys act just like sleazy lawyers...wherever there is an accident you'll find them handing out business cards.

The guy was trying to be funny...he was role playing...talking like a pimp..he went too far..he's apologized profusely and then some..give it a rest.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2007, 03:54 PM

Newsflash: Liberals can be just as racist as Conservatives. However, that doesn't make racism O.K.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2007, 03:55 PM

This thread is now about Corporal Klinger:

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2007, 07:19 PM

MSNBC pulls the plug.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...ers/index.html

NEW YORK (CNN) -- MSNBC has canceled its "Imus in the Morning" simulcast, the network announced Wednesday.

The decision comes after remarks deemed racist and sexist that radio talk-show host Don Imus made last week about the Rutgers University women's basketball team prompted a number of advertisers to drop the program.

MSNBC announced on Monday a two-week suspension of its simulcast of Imus' show after Imus referred to the Rutgers players as "nappy-headed hos." But as part of an "ongoing review process," which included input from its own employees, NBC Universal decided stronger action was necessary, the company said in a statement.

"What matters to us most is that the men and women of NBC Universal have confidence in the values we have set for this company," the statement said. "This is the only decision that makes that possible."

Imus' flagship station in New York, WFAN-AM, which is owned by CBS Radio, has also announced a two-week suspension but has so far not fired Imus.

After the MSNBC announcement, CBS Radio spokeswoman Karen Mateo issued a statement saying that during the suspension, "CBS Radio will continue to speak with all concerned parties and monitor the situation closely."

Earlier Wednesday, a member of CBS Corp.'s board of directors said Imus should be fired.

"As an African-American, I believe that Imus has crossed the line, a very bright line that divides our country," said Bruce Gordon, a CBS director and former president and CEO of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

"His remarks are so significant that I believe that the right outcome is for him to be terminated." (Gallery: Other controversial comments aired on Imus show)

But Gordon said he feels that the two-week suspension CBS Radio levied against Imus is the "right step" for now. (Your e-mails on Imus)

"It affords management the opportunity to do due diligence and evaluate what this means to the company, the brand and what it stands for," he said, speaking as a board member. "Once due diligence is completed, it is my belief that the facts should determine that he should be terminated."

Gordon's statements come as more big sponsors withdrew their ads from the airing of "Imus in the Morning" on MSNBC.

At least eight companies have pulled their ads from the show, including Staples, General Motors, Sprint Nextel, GlaxoSmithKline, Procter & Gamble, PetMed Express, American Express and Bigelow Tea.

Rutgers players speak out

Imus "has stolen a moment of pure grace from us," the captain of the Rutgers women's basketball team said Tuesday, responding to the uproar over the radio host's comments.

Essence Carson and other players spoke out at a news conference in their first public statements since Imus' inflammatory remarks last week.

"I would like to express our team's great hurt, anger and disgust toward the words of Mr. Don Imus," Carson said. "We are highly angered at his remarks but deeply saddened with the racial characterization they entailed." (Watch as Carson says the issue is "about more than a game of basketball")

Imus made the comments on his show April 4 after the underdog team lost the NCAA women's title to the University of Tennessee Lady Volunteers. He apologized on Friday and Monday before his suspension.

Other players echoed Carson's reaction, saying Imus' insulting words and the resulting controversy overshadowed their achievements. (Players talk of hurt, seeking understanding)

"Our moment was taken away -- our moment to celebrate our success, our moment to realize how far we had come, both on and off the court, as young women," said sophomore forward Heather Zurich. "We were stripped of this moment by degrading comments made by Mr. Imus last Wednesday. What hurts the most about this situation is that Mr. Imus knows not one of us personally."

On Wednesday morning, Stacy Brann, Rutgers team spokeswoman, said the players will meet with Imus this week. The day and location are still to be determined, she said.

"We just hope to come to some type of understanding of what the remarks really entailed, his reasons why they were said," Carson said.

"And we'd just like to express our great hurt, the sadness that he has brought to us."

Several players said they would welcome the chance for a face-to-face meeting with Imus.

"I would like to speak to him personally and ... ask him, after you've met me personally, do you still feel in this category that I'm still a 'ho' as a woman and as a black, African-American woman at that?" said Kia Vaughn, a sophomore center.

"I achieve a lot, and unless they have given this name of 'ho' a new definition, then that is not what I am."

Carson said, "We haven't personally received an apology. And personally, if someone were to apologize to me, I would feel better if I heard from them themselves. Reading it in a newspaper or watching on television or hearing it on radio doesn't serve any justice to what he said."

Coach C. Vivian Stringer praised the accomplishments and character of the team members, five of whom are freshmen. (Coach builds winners, despite adversity)

"Before you are valedictorians of their class, future doctors, musical prodigies, and yes, even Girl Scouts," she said. "They are young ladies of class, distinction, they are articulate, they are brilliant, they are gifted. They are God's representatives in every sense of the word." Stringer described the team's hard work to bounce back from defeats early in the season. (Read Stringer's complete comments)

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2007, 07:41 PM

As predicted, Imus is done. I formally announce the begining of the Neo-Liberal.
The neo-liberal are the johnny come lately to the idea that winking at racism and mysoginism is not good for businness. Liberals for too long have practiced a double standard when it comes to racism and anti social behavior most notably in the form of hip hop. Let's see how many rappers are on next years Grammy Awards and how many of hollywood elites stand up and continue to promote it. Neo liberalism has been born.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2007, 09:22 PM

( Last edited by RAILhead; Apr 11, 2007 at 10:43 PM. )
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2007, 09:34 PM

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

anonymac
Baninated
Apr 12, 2007, 02:51 AM

These nappy headed ho's sure are whiny and don't have much toughness despite being a bunch of ho's who look like men with lipstick on.

BTW, blacks have nappy hair. It's not deroggatory. It's a fact. How can that be racist?

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2007, 03:31 AM

imus is not liberal folks. he's an old, unfunny dumb guy who is more conservative than free thinking.

i first heard of him back in 84 when howard stern and he were on wnbc...didn't like his politics then

this is all so silly. and so are those who parrots fox news word for word...here's a clue guys, imus is on a competing network.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2007, 11:03 AM

And now, to add injury to insult. it turns out Don Imus nearly killed the Governor of New Jersey (a Democrat, if you're keeping score....)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/13/ny...d-corzine.html

Gov. Jon S. Corzine remained in critical but stable condition today after undergoing surgery on Thursday night following a car accident in which he broke his left leg, sternum, collarbone, six ribs on each side and a lower vertebra, state police and other government officials said. Mr. Corzine was in the front passenger seat when his state police vehicle swerved to avoid an apparently out-of-control driver on the Garden State Parkway and hit a guardrail. He was flown by helicopter to Cooper University Hospital in Camden, where he received seven units of blood and a metal rod in his leg during a two-hour operation that ended about 11:30 p.m.

After delivering a speech to the New Jersey Conference of Mayors at the Trump Taj Mahal casino in Atlantic City, Mr. Corzine was on his way to Drumthwacket, the governor’s mansion in Princeton, for a meeting between the Rutgers women’s basketball team and Don Imus, the talk-show host who was fired on Thursday for making a racist and sexist remark about the players.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2007, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
And now, to add injury to insult. it turns out Don Imus nearly killed the Governor of New Jersey (a Democrat, if you're keeping score....)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/13/ny...d-corzine.html
The domino theory is true.

Who could be next?!?

wolfen
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2007, 05:25 PM

I'm glad they fired Imus and solved the whole racism thing.

Now we can get back to the interracial harmony we've come to expect.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

memento
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2007, 12:44 PM

surprise! This had nothing to do with racism after all! The gov't took him down for threatening to reveal the secrets behind 9/11.

read on:
American radio icon Don Imus disgraced, fired after threat to reveal 9/11 secrets - Pravda.Ru
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Forum Links
Forum Rules