Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hulu.com...anyone tried it?

Hulu.com...anyone tried it?
Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2007, 09:45 PM

So I signed up for the beta a while ago...I guess I forgot, but tonight I got an email with a login/password for Hulu and I've been checking it out since.

As disappointed as I was with NBC pulling off iTunes, I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with the look of this so far. It's got most NBC/FOX shows, and even the newest ones from this past sunday/monday of some shows. I've honestly only been browsing it for like 5 minutes, I was just seeing if anyone else has been using it.

I'll post back in a while after I've used it more thoroughly with my opinions.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2007, 10:03 PM

Yea, I like it. Better interface IMO than what NBC and Fox had previously, but I do miss the HD that NBC offered for Centrino/Viiv owners.

Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2007, 10:56 PM

Does it offer anything more than the free episodes available online at nbc and fox.com?

JohnPlantada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2007, 11:32 PM

I signed up for the beta but haven't gotten a password yet. Yahoo is providing some full TV episodes provided by HULU though

Full-Length TV Shows - Yahoo! TV
Not everything that matters can be measured, and not everything that can be measured matters.
--- Albert Einstein

http://web.mac.com/johnplantada

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Does it offer anything more than the free episodes available online at nbc and fox.com?

BRAVO
Flipping Out
Inside the Actors Studio
Queer Eye
The Real Housewives of Orange County

E!
Dr. 90210

FOX
American Dad!
Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?
Back To You
Bones
Breaking Away
Bulworth
The Comebacks
Cops
Death Sentence
Family Guy
Fox Movie Channel presents "Casting Session"
Fox Movie Channel presents "Making a Scene"
Fox Movie Channel presents "World Premiere"
House
K-Ville
King Of The Hill
Kitchen Confidential
Kitchen Nightmares
The Loop
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
Prison Break
Sideways
The Simpsons
Stacked
Standoff
Talkshow with Spike Feresten
Vanished
Weekend at Bernie's

FOX REALITY
My Bare Lady
Rob and Amber: Against the Odds
Solitary

20TH CENTURY FOX
Arrested Development
The Bob Newhart Show
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Chicago Hope
Doogie Howser, M.D.
Hill Street Blues
Land of the Giants
Lost in Space
Lou Grant
(continued)
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Murder One
Nanny and the Professor
Over There
Picket Fences
The Practice
The Pretender
Remington Steele
St. Elsewhere
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
WKRP in Cincinnati

FUEL TV
Firsthand

FX
30 Days
Damages
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
The Riches

IGN
IGN Videos

NBC
30 Rock
The A-Team
Adam-12
Age of Love
Airwolf
Alfred Hitchcock Hour
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Alias Smith And Jones
Andy Barker P.I.
Battlestar Galactica Classic
Bionic Woman
Boo!
Brother's Keeper
Buck Rogers
Chuck
Cover Me
The Crow: Stairway To Heaven
Days of our Lives
Dragnet
Exosquad
Friday Night Lights
Heroes
Jack of All Trades
Journeyman
Kojak
L.A. Dragnet
Las Vegas
Late Night with Conan O'Brien
Life
(continued)
McHale's Navy
Miami Vice
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle
My Name is Earl
Night Gallery
The Office
Peacemakers
Phenomenon
Saturday Night Live
Scrubs
Simon & Simon
Sitting Ducks
Sixth Sense
Swamp Thing
Tequila & Bonetti
The Tonight Show
Total Recall 2070
Woody Woodpecker (New)

NBC DIGITAL STUDIOS
J.Y.A.

OXYGEN CHANNEL
Fight Girls

SCI FI CHANNEL
Battlestar Galactica
Eureka
Ghost Hunters

STYLE.
Pantry Raid

SUNDANCE CHANNEL
Big Ideas for a Small Planet
Eco Biz

UNIVERSAL
The Blues Brothers
The Breakfast Club
Conan the Barbarian
The Jerk
October Sky

USA
Burn Notice
Dr. Steve-O
Monk
Psych
The Starter Wife
Pretty good lineup so far. It will only get better as more networks put more shows on, as it still is only in beta. Plus the interface is excellent, it's an AIO solution instead of going to various network's websites, and the Ads are much less annoying then I've seen before. Like instead of the Nissan commercial 47 times during a heroes episode on NBC, its like 5 20 second breaks with current stuff like Hitman trailers and varied product advertisements. Only been using it for one night, watched 2 shows so haven't seen too many ads. I'm likin it though!

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 04:02 AM

I'm loving Hulu, which is entirely not what I thought I'd be saying.

Decent quality video, nice interface... they did a good job.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
I'm likin it though!
How can you like the fact that you have to sit in front of your computer? Most people have a bigger TV than they do computer monitor. Most people have better sound equipment for their TV than for their computer. (PC gamers are excluded from both prior comments) This seems like a step backwards. I missed an episode of Heroes this season and had to watch it on my laptop sitting on the couch. My wife and I were huddled around the screen. Every time it went to commercial, it popped out of full screen mode and didn't automatically go back when the show resumed.

This is a monstrous step back from being able to buy the shows and watch them on the AppleTV. It sucks. I clearly made the wrong decision earlier in the year when I bought the AppleTV instead of the HDTivo (the HDTivo actually hadn't come out, so I decided the S3 Tivo was too expensive). At that time, all the shows I was interested in were available for the AppleTV, but that has since changed. There are a few NBC shows that I basically don't even watch anymore because I can't.

I really hope that everyone hates Hulu. I honestly do. I have no interest in being bound to my computer to watch TV. If it sees success, then that's worse for me.

memento
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2007, 09:15 AM

I don't like it. more flash video that you can't do anything with except sit at your computer and watch. How am I supposed to use this site? I'm with wallinbl on this one.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Mithras
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 02:42 PM

My main gripe is that it's still very much beta. I've had several occasions on which it just suddenly stops streaming, and upon reloading just says, "Sorry, this video is unavailable right now."

wallinbl and memento: It's not supposed to replace television -- it's just another option. You won't be "bound to your computer to watch TV." Though I agree that NBC should get their act together and post their content to iTunes as well.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
wallinbl and memento: It's not supposed to replace television -- it's just another option. You won't be "bound to your computer to watch TV." Though I agree that NBC should get their act together and post their content to iTunes as well.
If Hulu has success, they'll have no reason to make it available to me on my schedule via the TV. They'll be content to tell me to go watch it on the website if I missed it on the air.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
If Hulu has success, they'll have no reason to make it available to me on my schedule via the TV. They'll be content to tell me to go watch it on the website if I missed it on the air.
That's kind of the point. If you miss the airing on television, then you miss that opportunity. Hulu is an option for people that miss the show, or want to watch it again. It's an opportunity for the network to get extra ad time out of a show. Hulu is not going to replace the DVD though, or the Tivo concept, or even the iTunes/Apple TV model.
It's an option.

As near as I can tell, you don't like Hulu because it means you won't be able to watch an aired show for free on your television.

I can say that in the last 5 years, I've watched more television programming on my computer than on my TV. My computer is better than my TV. That's probably because I'm college age (well, probably not anymore), more involved with computers than television, and have not invested in a theater television system.
I would guess that most people do have more invested in their television than in their computer, but Hulu isn't targeting that crowd. That's the crowd that still watches shows when they come on. Hulu is for the younger crowd, and that crowd will sit in front of their computers to watch a show.

I haven't gotten my Hulu invite yet (assuming it's coming ever...) I was impressed when I saw The Simpsons episode on the hulu blog. Quality was wonderful. The site was originally touted as a Youtube killer. I think YouTube and Hulu are going to be completely different beasts, with different audiences.

</lecture>
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
That's kind of the point. If you miss the airing on television, then you miss that opportunity.
Because I wasn't there the first time, I should have to watch it on a smaller screen? That makes little sense.

Hulu is an option for people that miss the show, or want to watch it again. It's an opportunity for the network to get extra ad time out of a show. Hulu is not going to replace the DVD though, or the Tivo concept, or even the iTunes/Apple TV model.
It's an option.
In NBC's world, it's not an option - it's the only thing. They eliminated iTunes/Apple and replaced it with the online option. So, effectively, it is a replacement. If both options existed side by side, I wouldn't care. My concern is that NBC seems to want to get rid of the option to watch it on TV.

As near as I can tell, you don't like Hulu because it means you won't be able to watch an aired show for free on your television.
I purchased every single episode of Heroes Season 1 via iTunes. I've done this with a large number of shows. I don't care about free. NBC.com is free, but it's on the computer and it exactly corresponded with their dropping iTunes. I care about the TV part, not the price.

I can say that in the last 5 years, I've watched more television programming on my computer than on my TV. My computer is better than my TV. That's probably because I'm college age (well, probably not anymore), more involved with computers than television, and have not invested in a theater television system.
You're just young. We were all that way once. You will change.

I would guess that most people do have more invested in their television than in their computer, but Hulu isn't targeting that crowd. That's the crowd that still watches shows when they come on. Hulu is for the younger crowd, and that crowd will sit in front of their computers to watch a show.
The crowd that will sit in front of their computers to watch a show has no family or friends. Invite a few people over to watch an episode of Lost or Heroes (I know many people that watch these shows together) and do it in front of your computer. You'll be wishing that you had a big screen and a couch.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 05:04 PM

Because I wasn't there the first time, I should have to watch it on a smaller screen? That makes little sense.
In NBC's world, it's not an option - it's the only thing. They eliminated iTunes/Apple and replaced it with the online option. So, effectively, it is a replacement. If both options existed side by side, I wouldn't care. My concern is that NBC seems to want to get rid of the option to watch it on TV.

I purchased every single episode of Heroes Season 1 via iTunes. I've done this with a large number of shows. I don't care about free. NBC.com is free, but it's on the computer and it exactly corresponded with their dropping iTunes. I care about the TV part, not the price.
NBC is selling stuff through Amazon now. There are problems with it. It's not Mac compatible. But they also offer a method of delivering straight to a Tivo box. So now it's just a matter of you having the right technology.

You're just young. We were all that way once. You will change.
I don't doubt it. To be frank, I don't watch much television to begin with. And when the audience demands the change to a different option, the networks will respond (it takes them a while) by providing a different option. Hulu is a response to piracy. And most pirates will download shows and watch them on their computers. I think the number is few that have equipment to route to a television, or take the time to burn an episode to a DVD just to watch.

I agree, it's frustrating that the iTunes option isn't there, but I don't think NBC is trying to replace iTunes with Hulu. That's what UnBox is for...

The crowd that will sit in front of their computers to watch a show has no family or friends. Invite a few people over to watch an episode of Lost or Heroes (I know many people that watch these shows together) and do it in front of your computer. You'll be wishing that you had a big screen and a couch.
I think more appropriately this crowd chooses not to watch television with their friends. I know people that do have big Lost parties, or big Heroes parties. There are also people who sit down and watch it alone. I am one those and I have plenty of friends. I just don't spend my time with my friends in front of a screen (occasionally a movie.)
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2007, 11:05 PM

Huh? I can't get my friends to leave when they are over watching shows. I don't own a TV and I have a couch where we can all comfortably watch the 24" iMac with great sound.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
NBC is selling stuff through Amazon now. There are problems with it. It's not Mac compatible. But they also offer a method of delivering straight to a Tivo box. So now it's just a matter of you having the right technology.
But, why should I go buy a Tivo? I previously had the right technology (AppleTV) for watching their shows, and they yanked the content. If I go buy a Tivo, what's to stop them from yanking the content again? I will then have another $300 wasted on something that changed in functionality after I paid for it.

What they did was really rather sh!tty. Sure, it's a business decision and all that, but they screwed a bunch of their fans, and their fans are why their customers pay them.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 10:48 AM

But, why should I go buy a Tivo? I previously had the right technology (AppleTV) for watching their shows, and they yanked the content. If I go buy a Tivo, what's to stop them from yanking the content again? I will then have another $300 wasted on something that changed in functionality after I paid for it.

What they did was really rather sh!tty. Sure, it's a business decision and all that, but they screwed a bunch of their fans, and their fans are why their customers pay them.
I highly doubt NBC is going to stop sending shows over the Air, but the possibility always exists. NBC's position has been that Apple has been making sales off of their content, which is absolute bull in my opinion.

Still, there will always be shifts in technology that end up screwing people. In this case, AppleTV owners don't have access to NBC stuff anymore (this sucks because I'm watching BSG with my wife, and I *don't* want to watch at the computer with my wife, so I was contemplating an AppleTV or a video iPod to hook it into our sad little TV). Another screw is going to happen with the HighDef DVD market straightens out. There will be people either BluRay or HDDVD who are going to get screwed because the companies decide that the market isn't viable to keep producing content for. In this case NBC felt like the market wasn't worth it. (I think it was really a power play that fell apart for everyone.)

Anyway, my point is this in the end: NBC's primary business is OTA broadcasting. In secondary distribution, they do webcasting (on NBC.com and Hulu), download sales (previously iTunes, now Amazon UnBox), and DVD,Hi-Def sales at the end of a season.
They're interested in catering to most of the market. Between OTA, hulu, NBC.com, UnBox, and NBC.com, they've got most of it done. They're not going to go the extra mile to please a very very small minority of users. Much like they're not going to post legal hi-def versions of their shows for free just because some guy doesn't want to pirate it and complains...
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2007, 01:19 PM

Kind of off topic, but how cool would it be if this site was available on iPhone/iPod touch? I know technically it's not even possible with Hulu since it uses flash, but I'm saying a few years down the road, what if there's a site like this that can either by accessed by iPhone or deliberately made for iPhone? Or if Apple and the movie/tv studios can ever get their $hit together and agree on a subscription plan, then I could see it being done through iTunes mobile, just stream different movies and TV shows. That would be awesome.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2007, 03:57 PM

They offer some Fox/Universal movies as well -- I see:
- The Breakfast Club
- Sideways
- Master and Commander
- The Blues Brothers
- Bullworth
- The Jerk

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2007, 06:01 PM

I'd love to try Hulu, but it's been weeks and weeks since I signed up, and they've not sent me an invite yet.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Rumor
Dec 2, 2007, 07:43 PM

I'm waiting for a password as well.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

design219
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2007, 07:52 PM

So I just signed up. About how long does it take to get a password? And what are they doing that takes so long?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2007, 08:04 PM

I signed up a month ago and haven't gotten mine yet. You're gonna be waiting a while.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2007, 08:13 PM

I signed up at the end of October and got the invite about a month later (the day this thread started). I know people who signed up before me though and are still waiting, so I guess I'm just lucky and I wouldn't really use my timeframe as a reference point.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2007, 04:10 PM

Still waiting for Hulu as well, but thanks for the Yahoo TV link. NBC's Rewind player is god-awful.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 4, 2007, 04:21 PM

I often wonder if invites like this end up being deleted by my spam filters.

memento
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2007, 12:14 PM

the way I see hulu is that it's like youtube for TV shows. so if you don't mind youtube and want to watch some tv at your computer, then you'll probably like hulu.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Railroader
Banned
Dec 17, 2007, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I often wonder if invites like this end up being deleted by my spam filters.
It wasn't! My invite came today.
Originally Posted by memento View Post
the way I see hulu is that it's like youtube for TV shows. so if you don't mind youtube and want to watch some tv at your computer, then you'll probably like hulu.
My 5 second impression is far from this. It is MUCH MUCH higher quality and is not made by complete amateurs.

Actually, the only way it is like youtube is that it is internet delivered and is video. Otherwise it's like comparing dog food and filet mignon.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2007, 08:41 PM

Got my invite today. Took about 6 weeks.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2007, 09:30 PM

Seems newer shows are decent quality, but many older shows aren't.
- Thomas Paine

design219
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2007, 08:05 AM

I got mine last night, just a little over two weeks.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2007, 09:33 AM

Unless the shows are in HD, I'll stick with my HD TIVo.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2007, 10:04 AM

we don't have time to stop for gas

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2007, 12:42 PM

ok?

what's the point of that? and it's most likely illegal?

klb5090
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2007, 12:44 PM

got my invite yesterday, its been 5 weeks

memento
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2007, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
It is MUCH MUCH higher quality
that's very subjective. I would say only slightly higher quality. Still flash. Still the same resolution. just like youtube.

To put some numbers to it, to me "much" higher quality would be 480p and "much much" would be 1080i/720p and "MUCH MUCH" would be 1080p. with few or no compression artifacts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules