Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Men's jeans

Men's jeans
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2008, 10:17 AM

Kind of an odd question, but I am looking for some new jeans and they are damned hard to find to fit me. Price isn't really a problem at all. What brand do you dudes like?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 10:18 AM

Levis
Polo
DKNY
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 10:31 AM

Old Glory is the Walmart brand. They suit well enough.
Other than that, Levis are my top pick.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 10:32 AM

Levis

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 10:36 AM

Levis. I forget which style I prefer, but they come in a large number of fits.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 10:43 AM

I second DKNY,
Old Navy is good for slumming...
Old Levis are nice, but the newer ones seem to be inconsistant in fit and quality.
I was once a Levi loyalist, but now condemn them to jean hell.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2008, 10:53 AM

Well, I'm ruling out Levi's because they never have fit me right. I'll check out DKNY, I see two votes for them. I guess Macy's or Dillard's sells them.

Cold Warrior
Jan 2, 2008, 10:58 AM

Levi's 559. The right balance between fit and style. Any other Levi's make you look like you're from the 1990's or are going skateboarding.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 10:58 AM

I'm a Wrangler man myself. Always seem to have my odd size every time I go to look, so that is what I stick with. As noted above, Levis have become very inconsistent so I don't even bother with them any more.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 10:59 AM

I used to love the 505s, but can't find them anymore.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 2, 2008, 11:17 AM

Right now my two favorite pair are Gap and SilverTabs. I'm kind of hard to fit, at a 32/34 waist and 34/36 inseam.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Right now my two favorite pair are Gap and SilverTabs. I'm kind of hard to fit, at a 32/34 waist and 34/36 inseam.
trying looking for 42 waist/34 inseam...talk about hard.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 11:32 AM

Give Diesel a try. You don't mention what kind of cut you're looking for, but the Diesel's tend to run slim (not baggy). They're expensive (180-250), but I am in absolute love with my jeans.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
They're expensive (180-250)
WTF? That's utterly absurd.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 11:43 AM

Give Diesel a try. You don't mention what kind of cut you're looking for, but the Diesel's tend to run slim (not baggy). They're expensive (180-250), but I am in absolute love with my jeans.
Armani makes some sick jeans for around this price range. Wide variety of cuts and colors.

indigoimac
Senior User
Jan 2, 2008, 12:13 PM

A little on the high-end but Banana Republic jeans fit me quite well, as do gap (the cuts are pretty similar) I think the banana rep denim is a little better, but they are more expensive... but they can be found on sale. Levis have never fit me particularly well.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

memento
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2008, 12:26 PM

I've honestly settled on Old Navy regular. Being a 33 waist and 34 inseam limits my selection, but I've tried all I can find and nothing fits me like Old Navy.

Like scaught mentioned, you don't say what cut. I don't like baggy, low rise, boot cut, or loose. I'm not hip-hop, I need jeans that are acceptable for work.

The real answer is that you need to take all these recommendations and try them on. Because ON fits me perfect, doesn't mean they will do the same for you.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Price isn't really a problem at all. What brand do you dudes like?
Judging by past threads on this subject I expected a little wider variety of answers. Depending on which are of the country you're in you might be limited to some of the brands people have mentioned, but if you really want to invest in a few good pairs of jeans then you should look into these:

7 For All Mankind
Earnest Sewn
Rock & Republic
Taverniti
- top of my list right now
Chip & Pepper

True Religion also fit great, but they're a bit too common now that you can get them in more places.

Diesel is still worth taking a look into, they used to be all I wore, though they changed their cuts a few years back and I like them less now. I used to have 10 or 12 pairs of Diesel, now they're mixed and matched from the above.

These are all in the standard 175 to 250 range for high-end denim. Some people of course think that costs a bit, but anybody who has even one pair of any of these and similar brands will tell you there's just no comparison in fit and finish. Even if you only have one pair, its worth it to have one that you love.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by CMYKid View Post
True Religion also fit great, but they're a bit too common now that you can get them in more places.
Damn the common folk.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 12:51 PM

Look mighty cute in them jeans, boy.

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 12:51 PM

Levi's 505.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 01:03 PM

I liked Levis but the quality is really abysmally bad. They last no longer than 6 months for me and since they're not exactly the cheapest brand available I got sick of them.

I now wear Tom Tailor or other cheaper brands and they last longer and look fine too.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2008, 01:03 PM

I have a $24 pair of jeans from Target on right now, and they're some of the most perfect jeans I've ever owned.

They're slim fit and straight-legged, but I don't remember the brand; I don't feel like taking my pants off in my office just to check the tag.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2008, 01:14 PM

I used to do construction work and I've been thru all kinds/brands of jeans and Old Navy seemed to last the longest.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2008, 01:17 PM

I was checking out the True Religion website. Pricey, but very very nice. Some of those others I know the brand, but it's hard to find nice clothes here in the Norfolk area.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2008, 01:41 PM

Well, Nordstrom's here at Macarthur Center Mall seems to carry all these brands. I'll have to check them out.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Damn the common folk.
Damn plebes.

Really though, now that they're everywhere its less nice to own. thats all.

Originally Posted by stevesnj
I used to do construction work and I've been thru all kinds/brands of jeans and Old Navy seemed to last the longest.
When I was working as a Front of House engineer I used to load trucks, set stages, crawl around underneath them and all sorts of other things that an arguably more practical person wouldnt do in $200 Diesel jeans and I have to say they wore like iron. I was really impressed, which sold me on buying more of them back then. No idea if the denim is the same weight and quality now.

ctt1wbw- Theres a Saks in Richmond and a Nordstrom in MacArthur Center in Norfolk, you'll find lots of these brands at either. Saks is running a 60% off sale online on many of them.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 02:28 PM

Crap -- that's who i left off my list. When we were in NY last year, I stocked up on some sweet Diesel jeans.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2008, 02:44 PM

Levi's 559s are pretty good, but for day-to-day I like 567s. I'm slim enough to pull off a boot cut, though: YMMV.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 02:47 PM

Gap - because it makes my @ss look nice
Wrangler - because they are cheap and decent quality
Levis - because they are popular and decent quality
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2008, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Crap -- that's who i left off my list. When we were in NY last year, I stocked up on some sweet Diesel jeans.
An ex-girlfriend bought me a pair of Diesel's about 5 years ago. They are the best pair of jeans I have ever worn.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
WTF? That's utterly absurd.
I once thought this too. Go try some on. Right off the peg you should notice a difference.

Buy some, and wear them for a while. Let them break in. You will love them.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 10:50 PM

I usually wear Lees. I had one pair that started to tear by the pockets and a quick phone call later and they paid postage both ways and sent me a new pair.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2008, 11:22 PM

For everyday things I wear Levi's, usually 501s. For more special occasions, clubbing and parties, I wear Armani. They really aren't too expensive either, <$80 /pr.

Got a pair of Versace for my birthday last year too, and they're really comfortable, but I wouldn't pay that much for jeans.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2008, 11:25 PM

These are all in the standard 175 to 250 range for high-end denim. Some people of course think that costs a bit, but anybody who has even one pair of any of these and similar brands will tell you there's just no comparison in fit and finish. Even if you only have one pair, its worth it to have one that you love.
I agree. I said I wouldn't pay a fortune for jeans, but I love these:

Amazon.com: Versace Jeans Couture classic fit denim jeans: Apparel

Still, $500...
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

AngelaBaby
Jan 2, 2008, 11:26 PM

I like my boyfriends in Seven jeans and Levis E

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2008, 12:26 AM

Wranglers for me. $15 at Walmart. I might pay $25 for some really high end jeans. Anything more is both robbery and stupidity. Ask the kids in Bangladesh how much they made from your $180 jeans. Some people have more money than common sense. They'll keep selling them at that price if you keep buying them. Its not how much money you make, its how much you keep.
macforray

natnabour
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2008, 12:27 AM

Judging by past threads on this subject I expected a little wider variety of answers. Depending on which are of the country you're in you might be limited to some of the brands people have mentioned, but if you really want to invest in a few good pairs of jeans then you should look into these:

7 For All Mankind
Earnest Sewn
Rock & Republic
Taverniti
- top of my list right now
Chip & Pepper

Diesel is still worth taking a look into, they used to be all I wore, though they changed their cuts a few years back and I like them less now. I used to have 10 or 12 pairs of Diesel, now they're mixed and matched from the above.

tanks to the gods that you mentioned these. i am by no means a guy, but I'm a jean girl. I notice and know jeans like the back of my hand. The only other brands that are missing are Joe's Jeans, Paper Denim and Ted Baker. Ted Baker is hit or miss with their styles, but once they're right....they're REALLY on the spot. And Paper Denim has the softest material known to mankind and they're very comfy. Someone else also mentioned 575. Haven't seen too many guys wearing that so I'm not sure what it looks like on men, but......they're fantastic for girls.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 12:36 AM

Banana Republic.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 12:45 AM

GAP, American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch, and Express (used to, but getting harder and harder to find my size/style)

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2008, 01:52 AM

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 3, 2008, 02:07 AM

Levi's 514 Slim Straight

To hell with your Diesels until I can more easily afford some.
ice

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2008, 04:41 AM

earnest sewn

withut a doubt, if you live in NYC you can visit the flagship store and have a 'bespoke' pair made.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2008, 05:24 AM

My collection consists of G-Star and Mac. I think I'm gonna give Diesel a try next month.
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

Oversoul
Senior User
Jan 3, 2008, 06:53 AM

Avoid GAP jeans. I've had two pairs of GAP jeans, less than a year old, go threadbare on me in the last year. I've begun buying more "quality" denim with Levi's, Lucky, and Diesel jeans and I'm enjoying them so far. As above posts have noted, some of these brands are pricier but a good pair of jeans will last you several years (waistline permitting).

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2008, 08:23 AM

Yeah, I don't like Gap jeans for that same reason. I'm still liking those True Religion jeans. I'm going to check out Express for Men this weekend hopefully, time permitting.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 08:25 AM

TRs are nice jeans, too. TARGET has a brand that's so similar, it HAS to be made at the same factory -- but I can't remember the name...

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2008, 09:12 AM

Carhartt.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by natnabour View Post
tanks to the gods that you mentioned these. i am by no means a guy, but I'm a jean girl. I notice and know jeans like the back of my hand. The only other brands that are missing are Joe's Jeans, Paper Denim and Ted Baker. Ted Baker is hit or miss with their styles, but once they're right....they're REALLY on the spot. And Paper Denim has the softest material known to mankind and they're very comfy. Someone else also mentioned 575. Haven't seen too many guys wearing that so I'm not sure what it looks like on men, but......they're fantastic for girls.
MY kinda girl.

Earnest Sewn is started by one of the Paper guys, similar weight denim but better cuts now that Paper has gotten more mainstream. I just left out JJ because the list was getting a bit long. Versace Jeans Coture has some great fits, but all of my favorites at the moment arent made of denim. I also have a pair of Robert Ruehls that I got used that are incredible.

Favorite right now is a pair that I got in Miami...you know they're obscure when you search the brand on ebay and get zero hits.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 12:33 PM

I'm a Banana Republic "Utility" cut guy all the way. Unfortunately, some genius there decided to discontinue this cut so I'll have to find something else once the ones I have wear out. Any suggestions?

OAW

Forum Links
Forum Rules