Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Thinking bout dual displays, suggestions?

Thinking bout dual displays, suggestions?
iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2009, 10:39 PM

So I'm entertaining the idea of having a new mini run dualies and wanted to hear from anybody who owns something that falls within my criteria with real world results, suggestions, opinions. Criteria is as follows:

Screen: Matte (no if's and's or but's)

Size: 22" - 27"

Picture: Has to be on par or better than the monitor I currently own (Dell 2405), nothing fantastic but I definitely want something with decent viewing angles, decent resolution (1680 x 1050 is my minimum resolution), with good color.

Cost (each): $100-$300

Misc: I'd love if the monitor had a USB hub like the monitor I currently have. A silver bezel (matching the mini) would be MONUMENTAL. Other than that adjustability (tilt, swivel, height), warranties, webcams are all welcomed but not required, I think of them more as icing on the cake.

__________________________________________________ __

I know I could scour the likes of newegg and find stuff with reviews myself but I wanted to get some real world experiences whether they be good or bad. Feel free to rant on as long as you want as well as I really enjoy researching products before purchase. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

reader50
Administrator
Mar 17, 2009, 12:02 AM

High quality LCDs (non-TN) have all but vanished below the 24" size. They're still available at 24" and bigger, but sale prices start around $500.

For $100 - $300, you are looking at:
• TN 22" (1680 x 1050)
• TN 24-26 (1920 x 1200)
• TN 24-26 (1920 x 1080) - less display for the same price!
• a used high-quality LCD
( Last edited by reader50; Mar 17, 2009 at 02:25 AM. )

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2009, 10:41 AM

yeeeeesh...then maybe i'm better off trying to find another dell 2405 and running dualies with these instead...

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
yeeeeesh...then maybe i'm better off trying to find another dell 2405 and running dualies with these instead...
Of all the LCDs I have encountered none have been better than my Dell. It is the most adjustable, with the most inputs, and with the best colors. I have a cheapy one also, but I would go for dual Dells in your position.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2009, 06:29 PM

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=320-7825

I'm hearing that these are not TN monitors but IPS and look like exactly what I was looking for. I also came across a review cnet did for it, anybody have this screen here on the NN?

http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/moni...9294389,00.htm

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2009, 08:44 PM

Get a Dell UltraSharp. They use the exact same LCD hardware that the ACDs use, except the displays have more inputs (DVI, VGA, S-Video, and sometimes composite), plus four USB ports.

And, for the record, dual displays is awesome. I have it at home, and a quad setup at work. I hate, hate, hate working on a single display now.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules