Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What Apps available NOW as Universal Binaries?

What Apps available NOW as Universal Binaries?
rocky2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2005, 07:08 AM

In anticipation of new Xintels in January, exactly what applications (other than Apple's) have actually been released as UBs, or are we all going to be relying on Rosetta for most of next year?
If the new Xintels really do appear in January, can we expect a flood of UBs soon after and will they be charged upgrades? Every one seems jazzed about the new coming hardware, but I'd like more info on the new coming software.

Here's one to start the list:

1. Macbench

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2005, 08:25 AM

It looks like someone has already started compiling a list: Mac apps with universal binaries available

Notable apps include:
Camino
Firefox
BBedit
Adium
VLC

It's mostly open source stuff on that list, which makes sense, since anyone can have a go at compiling them.

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2005, 02:14 PM

CaptainHaddock. Most of the applications you listed are not available as universal binary.
Camino, Firefox, Adium and VLC are available for both platforms, but they are not universal binary. Dont know about BBedit...

But I know some which are:
SubEthaEdit
Quicksilver
Cyberduck
Transmission
Opera
Xbench
iGet

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2005, 03:49 PM

Release notes for BBEdit 8.2.3 have this in it:

"This version of BBEdit runs natively on both Apple-branded hardware powered by Intel processors and PowerPC-based Macs. At this writing, only the systems provided as part of the "Developer Transition Kit" fit the former description."

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2005, 03:56 PM

http://www.osx86project.org/index.ph...id=63&Itemid=2

Does that mean all iApps are ready?

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Dec 1, 2005, 04:57 PM

I think only iTunes is already included, but I think it's 100% sure that Apple will never release any Intel Macs before an Intel version of iLife is ready.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2005, 05:06 PM

The excellent LaTeXiT (v 1.4.4) is a universal binary.

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2005, 07:20 PM

Cocktail.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2005, 07:30 PM

The Adium UB is *not* an official binary. It was compiled by someone else, with changes necessary for building as a UB that we don't have yet. As far as I know it's fine, but I figured people more paranoid than myself might like to know that.

rocky2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2005, 12:40 AM

Opera 8.5 is not a UB but the Opera 9 beta might be, although it is said to be very buggy.
I hope the developer community is going to rush out some UBs in the next few weeks because otherwise there will be major problems for owners of new Xintels. For example, even the very latest Skype OS X beta (1.4.0.27) announced on 1 December is not a UB and neither does it run under Rosetta emulation. And this is just 5 weeks before Xintels are rumoured to be announced. In fact, very nearly all non-Apple applications that are popularly used are not UB and many (Toast 7 is another) have serious Rosetta issues. This is very worrying as we get closer to the New Year.

rocky2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2005, 12:41 AM

Delete double post--forums slow today

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2005, 12:49 AM

looks through /Applications

Colloquy
Quicksilver
SubEthaEdit
TextMate

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2005, 08:54 PM

Adium 0.88 is now out, and it's universal
( Last edited by Catfish_Man; Jan 25, 2006 at 05:59 PM. )

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2005, 10:27 PM

I find it a little funny that many people are upset that companies haven't released updated software for computers that haven't shipped.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2005, 02:25 AM

As an FYI, if you select and application in the Finder's column mode it will say what Architectures (Intel, Power PC) it supports. A quick look through my apps reveals the following Universal Binary apps:

TextWrangler
Cocoa Battery

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2005, 02:46 AM

I think photobooth is as well
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 25, 2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by rocky2
Opera 8.5 is not a UB but the Opera 9 beta might be, although it is said to be very buggy.
I hope the developer community is going to rush out some UBs in the next few weeks because otherwise there will be major problems for owners of new Xintels. For example, even the very latest Skype OS X beta (1.4.0.27) announced on 1 December is not a UB and neither does it run under Rosetta emulation. And this is just 5 weeks before Xintels are rumoured to be announced. In fact, very nearly all non-Apple applications that are popularly used are not UB and many (Toast 7 is another) have serious Rosetta issues. This is very worrying as we get closer to the New Year.
Toast 7.0.2 is supposed to be OK, although I haven't tried on an Intel Mac. Apparently, it's UB-ified where needed, and running under Rosetta elsewhere. Also Toast 6 apparently is OK on Rosetta. I will be waiting however, and will others be the guinea pigs.

As for Skype, is it still a problem? I didn't see anything about Intel OS X Skype on their website.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jan 25, 2006, 09:58 PM

A sticky like "What apps do i use if..." would be great for these.

T

genmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2006, 01:21 AM

VersionTracker has put together their version of a Universal Binary list (updated in realtime, but only lists current updates).

MacFamilyTree is a Universal Binary as well - the first of the genealogy applications to make the change.

Forum Links
Forum Rules