Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Hard Drive Replacement - Easy?

MBP Hard Drive Replacement - Easy?
John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2006, 01:34 PM

Anyone tried taking their HD out of their MBP yet? On a 1-10 scale, how hard is it? I am thinking about upgrading my capacity but am not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze. Any great how-to documents?

Thanks!
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2006, 02:47 PM

You can find the actual Apple service Source manuals online... Just google "Apple Service Source" - they are PDFs that show you how to take a given Mac apart down to the last torx screw....

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2006, 04:12 PM

Yes, it is much easier than the AlBooks were--maybe a little harder (more screws) than the old Titaniums.

hemant
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2006, 04:42 PM

Most people would use this http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/85.0.0.html

John123  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2006, 05:48 PM

Sorry -- I've seen the diagrams and assembly manuals, so I should have been more explicit about my underlying question. Sometimes, when you disassemble a laptop, it's really harder than it looks. The angle to get certain screws is tough; pieces tend not to snap back together easily; parts don't go back as flush as they were before; etc. I was more looking for anecdotal experiences like this, if anyone has had any. I am thinking about slapping a 120GB Seagate into my stock 1.83 but want to make sure it's not too too bad.

Thanks!
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2006, 06:08 PM

Why do you say it's much easier than the AlBooks? The diagrams I saw at ifixit look almost identical to the 17" PB. The only real difference I saw from the 15" PB was that there wasn't this stupid hidden catch behind the DVD drive opening that you needed to blindly fish for.

The Titaniums were much easier and the HD in those were a user replaceable part. I don't think the HD in the MBP is considered user replaceable.

Originally Posted by mrmister
Yes, it is much easier than the AlBooks were--maybe a little harder (more screws) than the old Titaniums.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

hemant
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2006, 07:16 PM

How about shelling a few bucks and letting an authorised person take care of it.

glhart
Mar 20, 2006, 08:05 PM

I've successfully taken apart some difficult Apple machines. I print out the instructions, and when I take out each screw, I attach it by scotch tape on the picture on the instructions where it goes. Same with other parts (like optical drives or whatever), making sure they're oriented properly on the picture. Then it's pretty straightforward putting it together again. Some Apple laptops have screws with slightly different lengths that go in different places, and it's not obvious where to put them unless you've carefully used some system like mine when you disassemble it. Of course, everything should go back together smoothly -- if not, you've made some mistake. You also have to be careful to route all the wires correctly, as otherwise the machine won't go back together properly. Also, when you take it apart, follow the manual exactly -- don't try to skip a step that doesn't seem necessary. This is all obvious, but if you get impatient, you'll kill your notebook. Still, if you're very careful, it's not that hard.

John123  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2006, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by hemant
How about shelling a few bucks and letting an authorised person take care of it.
This is an unhelpful response -- and one antithetical to the entire purpose behind these forums. The forums are intended as place where users of all levels of skills can come to diagnose troubles with their machines, as well as to solicit feedback regarding possible upgrades and challenges. If you don't know anything about the inner workings of the MacBook Pro and the difficulties associated with upgrading its components, then you really shouldn't post in a thread such as this. If you have specific experience regarding the difficulties associated with MBP component installations, that would be helpful, but a generic jab at my not wanting to pay is not welcome.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2006, 11:51 PM

"Why do you say it's much easier than the AlBooks? The diagrams I saw at ifixit look almost identical to the 17" PB."

It isn't all that similar in the end--the screws are more standardized and since there are no hidden hooks it's pretty simple. I watched someone pop one open at Tekserve a few days ago and it's much easier than the AlBooks--all the technicians agreed.

flypenfly
Mar 21, 2006, 01:11 AM

My god I hated those hooks.

hemant
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by John123
This is an unhelpful response -- and one antithetical to the entire purpose behind these forums. The forums are intended as place where users of all levels of skills can come to diagnose troubles with their machines, as well as to solicit feedback regarding possible upgrades and challenges. If you don't know anything about the inner workings of the MacBook Pro and the difficulties associated with upgrading its components, then you really shouldn't post in a thread such as this. If you have specific experience regarding the difficulties associated with MBP component installations, that would be helpful, but a generic jab at my not wanting to pay is not welcome.
No hard feelings, I was suggesting that because you were worried about the difficulty of the project and for like $30 Compusa will do it. Remember we are talking about voiding your warranty here so why not spend $30 and not mess around with a machine that's worth $3K. Anyways Good luck.

John123  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by hemant
No hard feelings, I was suggesting that because you were worried about the difficulty of the project and for like $30 Compusa will do it. Remember we are talking about voiding your warranty here so why not spend $30 and not mess around with a machine that's worth $3K. Anyways Good luck.
It doesn't void the warranty. If you damage something in the course of installing a part, sure, that damage isn't covered by warranty...but the computer's warranty isn't voided just because you replace a part.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules