Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > AppleTV software update 2.3

AppleTV software update 2.3
ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2008, 07:46 PM

Apple just released new update with these new features:

AirTunes Streaming from Apple TV Music can be streamed via AirTunes to Airport Express speakers or other Apple TVs in your house.

Third-party Remote Controls Apple TV can now learn other remote controls and use them in addition to the Apple Remote.

Playlists Playlists in iTunes that contain Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, and Music Videos can now be seen on Apple TV.

Music Volume Control Support for volume control in Music.

Cold Warrior
Nov 20, 2008, 08:05 PM

I'm not updating b/c it'll probably break ATVFiles and SSH. I'd have to redo patchstick. No compelling features for me. Everything compelling I hacked in.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2008, 09:22 PM

For me, Boxee beats Apple TV OS.

Also, Apple TV updates always scare me; about half of them have been buggy with no ability to downgrade to previously stable versions. I'll be staying away from Apple TV updates until Apple offers something compelling.

Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2008, 02:20 PM

The remote control feature is very useful but I agree with the others. Apple TV needs a browser with some iphone like isolating ability so you can watch video straight off of the web. It seems crazy to me that they would throw out all that potential just to sell a few tv shows that no one wants to buy anyway.

ph0ust
Senior User
Nov 25, 2008, 06:25 PM

there is a new patchstick available that gets boxee back on your atv.... that gives you pretty much what you are looking for. maybe not a browser, but at least other web based video services like hulu.

apple is being so lame with this device. to them it is ONLY a platform to sell itunes content. if you want anything else... beat it! sad to see them take a page out of the MS playbook.

no worries though, xbmc / boxee is going to be the future for sure. that is exactly what is needed to kick everyone in the ass and get the things we all want on these devices. netflix needs to create an embedded browser/app too. tivo has gone that route. maybe if we are lucky boxee will add those products/features into their platform and we are seriously stoked- all my media/content, video on demand, and my dvr! that would be sweet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules