Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Got my new 12" Powerbook

Got my new 12" Powerbook
AlbertDeschesne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2003, 01:09 PM

Saturday (Feb 9th) I went to MacMall in Santa Monica and talked to my rep there and picked up my little guy. I got the 256/40HD/Superdrive and Airport extreme. The card was free, but you have to pay for installation, which is $40 so the cost was $55 less then walking into the Apple Store.

Got it home and opened it. After powering it up I found that I have 2 stuck pixels (one is already "healing" as they sometimes do) and my latch requires a firm and to engage. I'll be going to the nearby Apple Store in Northridge to see about having this fixed. But even if it's "within tolerance" it's all right as the machine is very nice even with these minor defects.

The battery is kinda deceptive about charging, so I would suggest ignoring the Menu Extra and looking at the amber/green ring on the plug. Once you calibrate the battery according to the manual (yes, read the thing) then the Menu Extra should be find.

Warmth: As an owner of a 500 Dual USB iBook (now on eBay, item# 3401017774, tell a friend!) I can say that it does get warmer on the left armrest but not alarmingly so. I use an iBook stand from Macsonly.com that also works with the new 12" alBook as well. So, no complaints there.

I work with Illustrator almost exclusively so, I'll post some real-world experience after I work tomorrow.

ebisix
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2003, 02:59 PM

Thanks a bunch.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2003, 03:03 PM

Congrats on your purchase! Best of luck with it!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

rambo47
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2003, 03:04 PM

Don't forget to calibrate your battery. After charging it, allow it to run all the way down, then recharge fully. The manual talks about doing this right away.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2003, 09:23 PM

Yup, same thing is recomended with cell phones , so its not odd or anything.

-Owl

AlbertDeschesne  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2003, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by rambo47:
Don't forget to calibrate your battery. After charging it, allow it to run all the way down, then recharge fully. The manual talks about doing this right away.
Yep -- did this while I was at a friend's house, so hopefully worked right as I had to unplug it, while off, for a the drive home then I resumed it's charge (it was never on battery power).

It was strange having it run down till it shut itself off.

Anyway, as I said I'll be giving it a real test tomorrow as I work, and then I'll post my findings.

Albert

sensorfreaky
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2003, 01:34 AM

Congrats on your new purchase AlbertDeschesne. At least you got your AE card already. I got my 12 last week but my AE card is still backordered

Since you also have the latch problem, please vote on the the 12" POWERBOOK LATCH POLL if you haven't already done so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules