Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Blu-ray playback, at last.

Blu-ray playback, at last.
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2011, 04:22 AM

So far I have only tried it with the Black Swan Blu-ray disc but I fail to notice the choppy playback others talk about.

Mac is the slowest Mac Pro ever, Dual 2.0 GHz 2006 model, 8 GB RAM and ATI Radeon HD 5770, so it can't even get the plus of Nvidia CUDA but I guess the ATI, being a recent card, is up to the task.

Blu-ray player is an external LG BE12LU30 USB 2.

Grabbed a couple of screenshots, windowed and full screen mode:

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2011, 04:15 PM

It doesn't take much to decode BluRay, a single modern 2Ghz core will do it in realtime. No GPU or multithreaded needed.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2011, 04:20 PM

It's nice that the free market stepped up when Apple failed to deliver in this regard.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2011, 06:42 AM

Small update. I was advised not to use this software since "It is not a real Blu-ray player. No menu support, no navigation, no chapter skipping, no fast forward or rewind, etc. Its just a dumb de-encryptor of the copy protection of retail Blu-Ray and streams the resulting un-encrypted video. Closed Caption is supported and an internet connection is required to download the keys needed to decrypt the protected stream."

So I have bought this Philips BDP7600 Blu-ray player instead.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Small update. I was advised not to use this software since "It is not a real Blu-ray player. No menu support, no navigation, no chapter skipping, no fast forward or rewind, etc. Its just a dumb de-encryptor of the copy protection of retail Blu-Ray and streams the resulting un-encrypted video. Closed Caption is supported and an internet connection is required to download the keys needed to decrypt the protected stream."
That's not a "small update".

That's a pretty massive fail.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2011, 09:26 AM

Indeed. I don't want to support sneaky, controversial practices, so to hell with it.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2011, 09:38 AM

$40 is pretty steep, even if it was full featured.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
That's not a "small update".

That's a pretty massive fail.
Not as massive as the fail of Apple to stupidly continue to refuse to support BD on Mac OS X. That's an epic fail.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Not as massive as the fail of Apple to stupidly continue to refuse to support BD on Mac OS X. That's an epic fail.
I, for one, would prefer to see all that "protected audio path" and "protected video path" crap remain OUT of (MAC MAC MAC MAC!)* OS X, thank you very much.

For one thing, very useful apps like Audio Hijack and WireTap and Snapz Pro X would probably cease to function.

*The "Mac" is very much still part of OS X!

demani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2011, 04:18 PM

protected audio/video path is present now.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by demani View Post
protected audio/video path is present now.
No, it is not. You might be confusing it with HDCP. That is different. If protected audio/video path were present, it would be a lot harder than using either a simple kext (as in Wiretap/Snapz Pro) or a haxie (as in Audio Hijack) to get the functionality of those programs.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 18, 2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
I disagree. I'd rather Apple not invest in the outrageous changes to the core media infrastructures of the operating system that would be necessary to support BD.

Admittedly, in practice, Protected Media Path (or whatever it's called) in Windows has not caused the severe performance penalties the naysayers predicted. But it did introduce yet another layer of software complexity, and it distracts the OS developers from useful things they could be doing.

Besides, why would I watch a BD on my Mac when I can do it on my plasma TV with surround?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 18, 2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
From the website, it seems to be based mostly on VLC. No doubt VLC will eventually support Blu-ray at no cost.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2011, 10:14 AM

I'm sitting out Blu-ray anyway. I'm not going to invest money in an unstable platform, where lots of early adopters were tricked into buying players that couldn't be updated to the continually evolving spec. Everyone remember this hassle? AVATAR Blu-Ray Problems Cause Uproar Among Fans.

Frankly, none of the newer movie platforms is worth replacing DVD for me; not Netflix, not iTunes, not Blu-ray.

Forum Links
Forum Rules