Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Questions that you always wanted to ask but were afraid to ask

Questions that you always wanted to ask but were afraid to ask (Page 10)
subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2018, 02:12 PM

Aren’t paint chips in space, bad?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2018, 08:43 PM

They would be yes. Its odd that that appears to be anodised red under the white paint. I wonder it would be unless its to show up the paint chips.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2018, 05:27 AM

It looks like that’s the photo-op suit, and somebody wanted it painted white at some point for a shoot.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2018, 10:43 AM

Maybe they were going for that "working hard in space" look
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Thorzdad
Mar 26, 2018, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Maybe they were going for that "working hard in space" look
Or, maybe the "Soviet surplus" look?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2018, 04:50 PM

Any of the space suits that flew with the shuttle are museum bound I bet. This is probably one they use for drilling getting in and out.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 29, 2018, 07:23 PM

She's wearing a regular tee shirt underneath. Which says it's a photo-op suit and not anything to be used seriously.

I don't get the "worn look" in so many things... (I'm not going to pay EXTRA for pants that look like I have just been dragged by a truck a la "Indiana Jones".) Stuff that's supposed to be pristine because it needs to be able to save your butt out in the vacuum of space FROM the vacuum of space should NOT look like it's the coveralls people wear on oil exploration rigs.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mindwaves  (op)
Apr 4, 2018, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I'll start this off. Why do I almost always see Dodge Rams pulling very heavy loads, such as 4 cars on a trailer? I almost never see Ford or Chevy trucks doing the same.
Back in the US for two weeks and in that time frame, I have seen 2 (Dodge) Rams 2500 pulling 3 cars on a trailer, 1 pulling a stable thing with a horse (or more), 1 pulling 2 Dodge Sprinter Vans on a trailer, and today saw 1 pulling 4 cars on a trailer. In the same time frame, I saw nothing even remotely the same from Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, or Nissan.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2018, 02:39 AM

Agents of Shield. S5. I'm up to episode 8 here so no spoilers.

This is the title screen for S5, it shows the earth destroyed, and one section of the surface floating in space.

That surface still has clouds and an atmosphere though, and part of the story is that people are still alive on earth. Now, I'm not Neil DreGrasse Tyson when it comes to space science stuff, but a piece of a planet's surface still having atmosphere and gravity isn't how that stuff works, is it? Wouldn't everything be gone and the surface be a rock?
( Last edited by ajprice; Apr 19, 2018 at 08:24 AM. )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Ham Sandwich
Apr 19, 2018, 09:08 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:47 AM. )

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2018, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
That surface still has clouds and an atmosphere though, and part of the story is that people are still alive on earth. Now, I'm not Neil DreGrasse Tyson when it comes to space science stuff, but a piece of a planet's surface still having atmosphere and gravity isn't how that stuff works, is it? Wouldn't everything be gone and the surface be a rock?
Not so much gravity but inputting enough energy into the planet to fracture it would inevitably boil off everything from the surface, water, air, the top few miles of rock. With big chunks the mass would remain so I think that the planet would reassemble itself in relatively short order (in the order of a couple of hundred years I seem to remember) but would be a glowing ball of sterile slag for a lot longer than that.

andi*pandi
Apr 19, 2018, 11:36 AM

Something interesting happened? Does this mean I have to finish slogging through season 4?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2018, 01:31 PM

Assassination Classroom attempted realism, and did it to the Moon instead.

andi*pandi
Apr 19, 2018, 02:05 PM

Doctor who made the moon a giant spacedragon egg.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2018, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Doctor who made the moon a giant spacedragon egg.

yes but to be fair that was a crap episode. Not as crap as the stupid forrest one though.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 20, 2018, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Fun fact, her spacesuit (I think it's the real one?) is on display at the local science center. We got to see it and a replica Mars rover last week.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
May 20, 2018, 11:22 PM

Whats the deal with apps using screen space and resources with little messages to say "good morning or evening" or "have a nice day"? Are there people out there who like this? Does it really make people feel better that an app went the extra mile & was friendly to them when they lit up their phone to check something and it say "good morning"? Or is just that it makes people feel all futurey like Space Odyssey or Star Trek? I don't get it at all.

mindwaves  (op)
May 21, 2018, 05:42 AM

It all started with the original iMac saying "hello." I asked Siri this morning the time and she said "7:05am. Good morning." It kind of made my day better. However, if an app did that, I would get annoyed.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2018, 12:20 PM

I thankfully haven’t run into this, except with digital assistants, where it makes sense.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2018, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Agents of Shield. S5. I'm up to episode 8 here so no spoilers.

This is the title screen for S5, it shows the earth destroyed, and one section of the surface floating in space.

That’s even dumber than Buck Rogers physics, and that was the 1930s.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 21, 2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
It all started with the original iMac saying "hello." I asked Siri this morning the time and she said "7:05am. Good morning." It kind of made my day better. However, if an app did that, I would get annoyed.
Is this a joke? You're on a Mac forum.

P
May 22, 2018, 06:55 AM

”It sure is nice to get out of that bag!”

mindwaves  (op)
May 29, 2018, 11:22 PM

Not really relevant here, but still worthy of a post. I've updated my iOS devices to 11.4 today and, for the first time since iOS 8 or something, my devices are automatically clearing read notification messages from the home screen when first read on another device. That is amazing!!!

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2018, 10:04 PM

I was going to post something to the effect of, why is modern music so boring? As in everything from the last half of the 90's onward. You dont have many hits that last like stuff from other decades. They saturate the radio waves with songs for a year or 2, then you rarely hear them again 'cause their lyrics and beat are so repetitive & dull. Then I found this very interesting video...

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2018, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
radio
Radio! It’s what all the kids listen to these days!

andi*pandi
Jun 6, 2018, 10:25 PM

if you are listening to playlists in spotify, pandora, or amazon music, you are just tuning to a station like any other. A station that plays 40 songs.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2018, 11:27 PM

Until I change the station.

If what I’m trying to do is discovery, there’s no comparison.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2018, 03:42 AM

Until I change the station.

If what I’m trying to do is discovery, there’s no comparison.
But as the video says, people like familiarity so discovery is almost a dirty word.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2018, 10:14 AM

if you are listening to playlists in spotify, pandora, or amazon music, you are just tuning to a station like any other. A station that plays 40 songs.
I got home yesterday and after two songs, could tell that my wife was listening to Top Alternative on the Alexa. I don't even know if they have 40 songs to play, but it's what I've been listening to in the garage when I have the door open. When the door's closed I can switch to the Run the Jewels or Kendrick Lamar stations without scaring off passers-by.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2018, 06:36 PM

Radio! It’s what all the kids listen to these days!
Actually it’s the opposite. Kids have time to research other avenues of music. Adults have less time and are the majority of radios audience. Eiher way, older songs on the radio tend to be better, and stay in favor longer. When I turn the 80’s station on each song sounds completly different. Lyrics have more depth, like a story or something. Modern music is often really simple or a collection of repetitive chants that may not even make any sense.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2018, 08:13 AM

1) Find a kid.
2) Ask them what to listen to.
3) Profit!

andi*pandi
Jun 10, 2018, 08:57 PM

4) be subjected to Shia Laboef JUST DO IT and weird remixes.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2018, 10:35 PM

Ideally, you want the kid to be pretentious.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2018, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
Actually it’s the opposite. Kids have time to research other avenues of music. Adults have less time and are the majority of radios audience. Eiher way, older songs on the radio tend to be better, and stay in favor longer. When I turn the 80’s station on each song sounds completly different. Lyrics have more depth, like a story or something. Modern music is often really simple or a collection of repetitive chants that may not even make any sense.
Bullshit.

That's selective perception, combined with selective memory.

For any example you come up with, I could probably come up with at least three counter-examples.

At any given point in time, 95% of popular music is complete shit.
The 80s stuff that is STILL played on the radio is obviously from within the 5% of 80s music that wasn't complete shit. Yes, I was there.

It's the same from the 90s, and it will be the same from the '00s, as they fade from the collective present-tense.

And I'm positive that it was the same in the 70s.

There is some GREAT music out there today, and Great Big World's "Say Something" sounds nothing like Adele or Sabrina Carpenter's "Thumbs" or Gaga or Portugal. The Man or the latest Foo Fighters album or Bruno Mars or Anderson.Paak or Snarky Puppy or the Trilok Gurtu Quartet or Nik Bärtsch's Rōnin Rhythm Clan.

The breadth and diversity of music today is no smaller than it was back when you had Jaco Pastorius, the Police, Samantha Fox, Twisted Sister, and the Pixies. And that's just a few of the few that we still remember. Yeah: Sam Fox. What quality er, music.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2018, 03:29 AM

Back to the questions:

Did anybody back in the 80s actually dig Samantha Fox for her music?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2018, 09:12 AM

I'm surprised many of you know her at all.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2018, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I'm surprised many of you know her at all.
I was in Japan at the time. She had huge…hits.

Well, one hit.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2018, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I was in Japan at the time. She had huge…hits.

Well, one hit.

Honestly...not even her two huge "hits" did impress me very much back in the 80ties.
I'd rather banged the Bangles!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2018, 10:38 AM

Back to the questions:

Did anybody back in the 80s actually dig Samantha Fox for her music?
Did you know there are two “celebrities” named Samantha Fox?
45/47

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 12, 2018, 04:58 PM

At any given point in time, 95% of popular music is complete shit.
The 80s stuff that is STILL played on the radio is obviously from within the 5% of 80s music that wasn't complete shit. Yes, I was there.

It's the same from the 90s, and it will be the same from the '00s, as they fade from the collective present-tense.

And I'm positive that it was the same in the 70s.
I totally agree. And I was there too.

Sturgeon's Law ("90% of everything is crap") applies here. What we remember of our favorite decade's music is what we liked. We ignored, avoided or tuned out the crappy stuff we didn't like, so that didn't imprint as well as what we listened to over and over.

Interestingly, spanning those decades were some artists who actually did good stuff across time. Not just artists like Lennon or Dylan, but several others. Some people will say Bowie was all marketing, but he made some really good stuff along the way. Brian Eno, Gorgio Moroder, Mike Oldfield, and a number of others were quietly making good music the whole time - but not all of it was particularly "radio material," so the radio listening audience didn't catch much of that.

Here's an example: in 1982, Dire Straits released Love over Gold. It had FIVE tracks for over 40 minutes of music. How many of those tracks got airplay? Yep, none of them on mainstream stations - because you can't play 14 minute singles and still run 12 minutes of ads in an hour. Give Industrial Disease a listen, just to see what we missed back then.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2018, 05:07 PM

I've been on a Talking Heads kick recently, never gave them the time of day but damn were they funky. Newer music has escaped me, I'm perpetually stuck in the 90s...

Thorzdad
Jun 12, 2018, 05:21 PM

Fear of Music was on perpetual play on my Walkman way back in the day.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2018, 09:06 PM

I'm all about the 80s hair metal at the moment.

mindwaves  (op)
Jun 17, 2018, 10:55 PM

Ok, I might get flamed for this, but why are some people (particularly black people) have such big, fat butts? I'm not talking about big, but super big that it really sticks out. Yes, they are on obese people, but on some people, they are abnormally large relative to the person's size. It is not due to surgery also.

I don't believe that it is the issue of being sedentary, as I have seen many bus drivers from other countries who don't have the issue at all and are quite slim and with a regular size butt.

I guess some people have a genetic predisposition to have a fat butt that, when combined with a sedentary lifestyle, and a voracious appetite, just exacerbates the issue?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2018, 11:24 PM

It’s an environmental adaptation.

Humans need fat to get them through famine.

Fat is an insulator.

Africa is hot.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2018, 01:54 PM

Famine and winter. The real question then is why doesn't everyone in Westeros have a huge butt to cope with the multi-year winters?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2018, 04:44 PM

A huge butt is bad for winter.

A huge butt only warms your butt.

andi*pandi
Jun 18, 2018, 04:54 PM

I think you mean to say the people of the North should be more uniformly plump to stay warm. Then again, there are the Swedes, a tall thin northern people...

Likewise, in a hot environment, I don't see the evolutionary advantage of a large posterior.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Some people will say Bowie was all marketing, but he made some really good stuff along the way.
What? Them’s fighting words.

I mean, yeah, I guess you could say it’s “marketing” to consistently make music that literally nobody else was making at the time (or since, really), over decades. The only record that kind of falls out of that is “Let’s Dance”, but even on that, the idea was to have a disco god of the late 70s — Nile Rodgers, in whom nobody was interested in the least by the mid-eighties — make a modern 80s pop record with Bowie songs.
Nobody had done anything like that.

Brian Eno,
ENO was responsible for U2’s “The Joshua Tree”, arguably one of the most successful records of the 80s, and a bunch of subsequent hit records.
Of course, that was as a producer, so he still isn’t a household name.

Giorgio Moroder,
Same here. He did “What a Feeling” from Flashdance and “Take My Breath Away” from Top Gun, but people remember them as being by Irene Cara and Berlin (who were the faces and voices used to sell the songs).

But yes, their “own” material didn’t register so much with the public.

Oldfield, though, had a couple of big hits in the 80s. “Moonlight Shadow” is still inescapable, to terrifying effect, and “Shadow on the Wall” is pretty well known, too.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2018, 05:36 PM

Likewise, in a hot environment, I don't see the evolutionary advantage of a large posterior.
The fat has to go somewhere.

If it goes everywhere, everywhere gets warmer.

If it goes to the butt, the butt gets warmer.

Which sounds better in a hot environment? Warmer everywhere, or warmer butt?

Forum Links
Forum Rules