Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Overrated

Overrated
subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2019, 12:15 PM

Goldfish crackers.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2019, 12:46 PM

Deep dish casserole pizza

-t

andi*pandi
Jun 9, 2019, 04:24 PM

The Wire.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2019, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
The Wire.
Really? Even the first season?

mindwaves
Jun 9, 2019, 06:56 PM

French food. I went to Paris about two months ago and clearly overrated.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2019, 09:44 PM

In most things, Rome > Paris.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2019, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I’ll never say anything bad about Italian food, but Paris is also incredible. You two are bonkers.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

P
Jun 10, 2019, 07:21 AM

Really? Even the first season?
I would argue that the first season of The Wire is the worst, because it is so hard to get into when a lot of the characters look the same. For some reason half the detectives are overweight white men (because everyone sends their worst to get rid of them) and it is not immediately obvious which of the bad guys you need to keep track of.

The issue is, I think, that French food has become sort of generic good restaurant food. It's well made, but nothing special.

IMHO Italy is full of good food, but Rome is nothing special.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2019, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I would argue that the first season of The Wire is the worst, because it is so hard to get into when a lot of the characters look the same. For some reason half the detectives are overweight white men (because everyone sends their worst to get rid of them) and it is not immediately obvious which of the bad guys you need to keep track of.
I only remember two white detectives from the first season. McNulty and Herc. Herc’s the fat one.

There’s the Polish kid, but I’d argue he’s more of a side story, and he certainly isn’t fat.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 10, 2019, 12:40 PM

I only remember two white detectives from the first season. McNulty and Herc. Herc’s the fat one.

There’s the Polish kid, but I’d argue he’s more of a side story, and he certainly isn’t fat.
He gets a major storyline in season 4 as a teacher.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2019, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
He gets a major storyline in season 4 as a teacher.
Which is a fantastic frigging storyline.

He’s not pivotal to season 1, though.

One of the things I like about The Wire is you can take the first season on its own as a complete show.

andi*pandi
Jun 10, 2019, 01:45 PM

I trudged through the first season, acknowledged the acting skill, but was not invested enough in characters to get into season 2 (never mind season 4). It was depressing.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2019, 01:57 PM

Fair enough, but I submit to the judges that’s a taste thing and not undeserved accolades.

I mean, it’s about mostly asshole cops in Baltimore. It has an obligation to be depressing.

Edit: and if you take the first season as a complete show, the ending is really depressing.
( Last edited by subego; Jun 10, 2019 at 02:40 PM. )

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2019, 05:21 PM

I trudged through the first season, acknowledged the acting skill, but was not invested enough in characters to get into season 2 (never mind season 4). It was depressing.
The only bad season is the last season. They sort of gave up trying.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2019, 05:24 PM

Ah, France vs Italy. The eternal grudge match. In pretty much every arena the country that thinks it's the best in Europe vs the one that actually is.

Food: Italy
Fashion: Italy
Architecture: Italy
Scenery: Italy
cars: Really really Italy
Language: Italy
Culture: Italy
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

andi*pandi
Jun 10, 2019, 05:24 PM

Edit: and if you take the first season as a complete show, the ending is really depressing.
and you see why I never tried season 2.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2019, 05:57 PM

and you see why I never tried season 2.
They ultimately “erase” a lot of what happened in the first season. Everything was so screwed up at the end of S1, they had to, or it would have to be an entirely different show.

I give them credit, though. It wasn’t poof, everything’s fine. They slow-walked it through like, 10 episodes.

P
Jun 10, 2019, 06:50 PM

I don’t mean either of them. If you check back, the first season is full of people who then disappear when it’s about the core team that are involved in all the seasons.

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Ah, France vs Italy. The eternal grudge match. In pretty much every arena the country that thinks it's the best in Europe vs the one that actually is.

Italy is lovely, except for the politics. I have been there quite a bit for work and once or twice for vacation, but I wouldn’t live there.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OreoCookie
Jun 10, 2019, 09:07 PM

Perhaps you went to the wrong places to eat? To start with, Paris is very expensive, so getting good French food can cost you a fortune. I've had some really great food while being in Paris, but a lot of the time I was with Parisians or people who have lived in Paris at one point.

Here in Japan, you can get some of the best French food anywhere on the planet. And in some cases it is cheaper than in Paris. A friend of mine spent about 3 years in the North of Italy and then became the sous chef in a 3-star restaurant in Paris. He has his own restaurant with his own star now, and it is certainly in the Top 3 places I have ever eaten in my life — and relatively affordable. He blends French, Italian and Japanese flavors, but mostly sticks to the European ones for the big notes.
Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post

I think it is a bit simplistic to make such blanket comparisons. Any Italian will tell you there are many Italies, and the food differs humongously. Amongst my best friends two are Italian, one is from the North, the other from the South. But the one from the South is married to a woman from the North. So I got to sample a wide variety of foods. The Southern food is much simpler peasant food than what you get in some of the richer regions. Italians in general take pride in the food of their region, something that is not really a thing in Germany. (Of course there are local dishes, but they are not as central to our identity, I think.) This is one thing that they have in common with the French, e. g. if you are from Lyon, you will be very proud of your food and that Lyon (according to you as a Lyonese) is the French food capital.

The French food most people think of is fancy food, even though there is tons of very delicious “simple” food. France has much more fresh cheeses, which perish much more easily rather than the famous Italian hard cheeses. Plus, a lot of what I consider French food nowadays comes from the Magreb through immigration.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Jun 10, 2019, 09:14 PM

IMHO Italy is full of good food, but Rome is nothing special.
Some of my most interesting Italian foods I have had were in quite simple places, e. g. a restaurant in Livorno run by communists (you see the hammer and sickle flag hanging there). The food and the experience around it was simple, but great, a place I'd never have picked out myself. Rome is overrun by tourists, so finding good, affordable eateries is a challenge. Since I usually travel with a reasonable budget, I prefer to pick unusual places.

Definitely not overrated is food in Japan — not just Japanese food, but food in Japan. Last weekend I was road racing with my team mates (the head of the team is the owner and chef at the aforementioned restaurant), and we had dinner in the middle of nowhere at an Italian restaurant. The food was amazing. The pizza was not as good, because the restaurant did not have the proper oven, so it was more of a good “home style” pizza that my Italians friends have made numerous times. But he used unusual ingredients like pig feet and such, cooked the pork roast for ~4 hours, etc. This was just great food.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2019, 10:51 PM

Italy is lovely, except for the politics.
Not going to argue this one.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2019, 04:07 AM

French accents though. Partly because Italian is over-parodied.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mindwaves
Jun 13, 2019, 07:25 AM

French macarons. Super expensive and is just sugar and food coloring. Not delicious even if can buy quality ones five for a dollar. I went to a cooking class to know how to make them and they are super easy to make. No idea why they are so pricey.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2019, 11:50 AM

Macaroon > macaron

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2019, 05:51 AM

French macarons. Super expensive and is just sugar and food coloring. Not delicious even if can buy quality ones five for a dollar. I went to a cooking class to know how to make them and they are super easy to make. No idea why they are so pricey.
Are you suggesting that five for a dollar is:

1. for quality macarons
2. Expensive

?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mindwaves
Jun 14, 2019, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Are you suggesting that five for a dollar is:

1. for quality macarons
2. Expensive

?
Sorry maybe a little misunderstanding. Saying macarons are expensive and not delicious (price notwithstanding). Just sugar and food coloring. No way they should be that pricey.

mindwaves
Jun 14, 2019, 09:36 AM

Gordon Ramsay. Don't know why people on Youtube (and other people) like him so much. He contradicts himself constantly and if it weren't for his British accent and "good looks," he might still be famous, but people wouldn't like him as much. He still is good, but is overrated.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 14, 2019, 09:39 AM

Sorry maybe a little misunderstanding. Saying macarons are expensive and not delicious (price notwithstanding). Just sugar and food coloring. No way they should be that pricey.
$0.20 each? Can you get a Tootsie Roll for $0.20?

Did you mean to say $5 each?

mindwaves
Jun 14, 2019, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
$0.20 each? Can you get a Tootsie Roll for $0.20?

Did you mean to say $5 each?
At $5, it it is too expensive hence it is overrated. If it was cheaper, but not necessarily under a dollar cheaper, it may be better, but the price premium is too great.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2019, 07:54 PM

Mary Janes > Tootsie Rolls

OreoCookie
Jun 15, 2019, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
It's like how a burger and a sandwich are the same thing, just prepared differently.
Yup. Ditto with beer, there are plenty of Belgian beers that would, legally speaking, not be considered beer in Germany. Who cares, whether you call it beer or not, it is very tasty. (I don't mind calling it beer, because I respect Belgium's beer culture. I refuse to call many American and Canadian “beers” beers, even though they might legally be considered “beers” in Germany. To be clear, I am thinking of Millers, Canadian and the like, not the good stuff you can get from microbreweries.)
Gordon Ramsay. Don't know why people on Youtube (and other people) like him so much.
I guess he is entertaining to watch for some and a savvy business man. From that perspective, Ramsay is not overrated. But once you own so many restaurants that you may call it a chain, quality goes down, and then yes, the food is overrated.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2019, 10:55 AM

Most people I talk to hate Gordon Ramsey, they think he's mean. I think that part of his act is exaggerated. I'm sure he's not the easiest going, but he clearly cares about people who earn his respect. He is forever hiring young hard workers with no other qualifications, giving them a real leg up in life.
I actually think he's a good role model. He works really really hard, never stops. He was set to be a professional football (as in Soccer) player until he had a career ending injury and instead of just giving up and moping about he just went off and become the most successful chef in the history of the world. Not bad really.

Thorzdad
Jun 15, 2019, 11:24 AM

Mary Janes > Tootsie Rolls
Well, sure. Tootsie Rolls, while certainly durable, wouldn't make the most comfortable footwear.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2019, 11:38 AM

And makes a shit doob.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2019, 01:43 PM

Oh, speaking of the French.

French wine is definitely overrated.

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2019, 03:12 PM

California > France

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2019, 06:50 PM

California > France
Yes, but that’s often a matter of taste (subjective), because generally, the grapes used are different.

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2019, 12:48 AM

California grape will shank a bitch-ass French grape.

Gauguin is overrated.

Thorzdad
Jun 16, 2019, 07:16 AM

Gauguin is overrated.
Someone's itchin' for a temp-ban.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2019, 12:20 PM

Temp-ban > syphilis

andi*pandi
Jun 16, 2019, 02:53 PM

sick burn.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 16, 2019, 07:12 PM

Gauguin is overrated.
Artworks-wise, yeah. His particular works are...OK. But for leading the pack out of the fog of Impressionism, that he deserves kudos for.

And by “fog,” I mean the sense that by Gauguin’s time it looks like everybody with a brush needed glasses. It’s not Impressionism if it just looks like you can’t focus.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2019, 11:35 PM

sick burn.
That sounds more like the clap.

mindwaves
Jun 16, 2019, 11:38 PM

Modern abstract art

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2019, 09:44 AM

At $5, it it is too expensive hence it is overrated. If it was cheaper, but not necessarily under a dollar cheaper, it may be better, but the price premium is too great.
But you said,

Not delicious even if can buy quality ones five for a dollar.
Five for a dollar would be $0.20 each, hence everyone's confusion about your anger.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2019, 12:09 PM

Modern abstract art
I can’t name a modern abstract artist from the last 30 years, which tells me it’s rated just as it should be.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2019, 05:35 AM

Johnny Depp.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2019, 10:36 AM

Johnny Depp.
Absolutely not.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2019, 10:37 AM

Homeopathy.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2019, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Absolutely not.
He’s in 10 pieces of hot garbage for every good movie.

There’s Fear and Loathing, Ed Wood, and I assume Dead Man. Then it becomes a barren wasteland.

You know who else is overrated? Tim Burton.

Forum Links
Forum Rules