Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > They finally caught him!

They finally caught him!
OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 02:31 PM

After 30 years, he finally gave enough clues out to make sure he was captured.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/26/btk...ion/index.html

Wichita police chief: 'BTK is arrested'

59-year-old suspect accused of killing 10

WICHITA, Kansas (CNN) -- A 59-year-old Park City, Kansas, man has been arrested in Wichita's notorious "BTK" serial killings, according to Wichita police.

Family members of the victims crowded into Wichita's city hall Saturday to hear the news.

"The bottom line: BTK is arrested," announced Police Chief Norman Williams.

Lt. Ken Landwehr, commander of the task force investigating the case, said Dennis Rader was arrested during a routine traffic stop and was taken into custody Friday. He is a suspect in the killings of 10 people since 1974.

Initially, only eight killings were linked to the BTK killer, but police have since linked the victims of two unsolved murders -- Dolores Davis in January 1991 and Marine Hedge in April 1985 -- to the case.

Both were Park City residents. CNN affiliate KAKE reported that Hedge once lived on the same block as Rader.

The BTK case -- which dates back to 1974 -- has come under renewed scrutiny in recent months, with the killer sending out letters in his continued taunting of law enforcement.

The killer calls himself BTK, "bind, torture and kill," a pattern he has followed with most of his victims.

Marine Hedge's body was found along a dirt road in Sedgwick County in May 1985, eight days after she was abducted from her home. The autopsy showed she had been strangled.

Davis was taken from her home January 19, 1991, after a brick was thrown through a sliding glass door. Her body was found beneath a bridge in Sedgwick County, her hands, feet and knees bound with pantyhose.

Park City is about 15 miles (24 km) north of Wichita.

The arrest came after authorities questioned a "person of interest" in the investigation Friday, and converged on a home in Park City, Kansas, just outside Wichita, sources told CNN.

CNN affiliate KAKE, a Wichita station that the killer has sent letters to in the past, said authorities had been awaiting results of DNA tests to see whether they could be linked to the case.

Outside the home in Park City, authorities cordoned off the street and investigators combed the area. A Wichita police bomb squad truck, SWAT trucks and dozens of police cars and other emergency vehicles lined the street.

One neighbor in Park City expressed shock about the developments.

"I don't even want to think that it could possibly be real," the neighbor, who gave his name as Greg, told KAKE. "This is a real normal block. I mean it's just normal families. It's quiet, it's peaceful. ... People walk their dogs, kids play on their bikes -- it's really normal. It's a pure piece of America."

Communicating with police

The man calling himself the BTK killer sent many notes to Wichita police and local media in the past 31 years -- and once even reported one of his own killings to police dispatchers.

The last death blamed on him was in 1986 when a 28-year-old mother, Vicki Wegerle, was killed in her home in Wichita.

From 1977 to 1979, police and news media received letters from a writer claiming to be the killer. That was followed by 25 years of silence, leading some to believe BTK had died.

In March 2004, his communications resumed when he linked himself to the eighth killing and divulged what he said was more information about himself.

Last week, the FBI confirmed that two letters found in Wichita were authentic communication from the killer. The driver's license of one of the slain women was found, as well.

In an interview with KAKE on Friday, Charlie Otero -- whose parents, brother and sister were the first victims of BTK in 1974 -- said he was anxious about the latest developments.

"My heart is leaping out of my chest," he said. "I just hope I can come out of my shell when all of this is over."

He said he longs to ask the BTK killer: "Why my family? What ties did my father have with this man? And I want to know the truth."
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 02:41 PM

30 friggin' years?

So he gets to spend his old age in a retirement home... I mean jail.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

paully dub
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 02:45 PM

three hots and a cot, as good any retirement home, really.

I thought this would be about someone ...else...

Adopt-A-Yankee

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by paully dub:
three hots and a cot, as good any retirement home, really.
I guess so. Apparently, there's no alternatve in Kansas anymore.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/12/17/kansas.death.penalty/

I am against the Death Penalty, but cases like this really make me question that position...

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
30 friggin' years?

So he gets to spend his old age in a retirement home... I mean jail.
59 years old + a 30 year sentence in a (probably) maximum security prison.

those aren't easy years to serve, im sure.

this is basically a 30 year long death sentence. that should ease your conscience, dreilly1

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 06:32 PM

Absolutely 100% incredible!

How long before a Hollywood movie? 20 minutes?

I've been to Park City, KS a few dozen times as well before (my wife is from Wichita, KS)...

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2005, 06:50 PM

I live just outside Wichita and let me tell ya yesterday was intense.

The local news stations knew who the guy was but of course would not say since he had not been formally charged. What little information they did give out was enough to reveal his identity before the official announcement. I think it was intentional..hey we can't tell you his name but he is employed by the city as a compliance officer. A quick check of the park city site is all you had to do.

OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2005, 02:03 AM

It turns out that his own daughter became suspicious of him, and called police, offering a voluntary DNA sample. What kind of person could sleep at night, for 30 years, knowing what they did, and also raise a family, while doing this? Amazing!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/26/btk...ion/index.html
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2005, 11:00 AM

Is there any word about what he was doing for the 25 years he disappeared?

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2005, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by BRussell:
Is there any word about what he was doing for the 25 years he disappeared?
he got married and raised a family.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2005, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
What kind of person could sleep at night, for 30 years, knowing what they did, and also raise a family, while doing this?
A sociopath, without a second of lost sleep. Unfortunately, not all that uncommon.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2005, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
That's what I find interesting about the story - why did he stop killing?
I figure Court TV and/or A&E will have a new show about BTK this week.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2005, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
He got married and then stopped? Being married and having a family doesn't usually stop them - Gacy, this Green River killer, others had families while they killed. I would have bet something else happened. I thought for sure he'd been dead or in prison or something like that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules