Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini wakes for no reason

Mac Mini wakes for no reason
NDBounce
Senior User
Sep 24, 2009, 12:04 AM

I recently bought a Mac Mini to use as a Television/DVR (I have no TV). I have it set up with an Elgato EyeTV, Apple Bluetoth Keyboard, Kensington Bluetooth Mouse, and Dell 24" Monitor.

It is running 10.5.8.

I have a problem where the computer will wake up for no reason whatsoever. This is really annoying at night when I am sleeping and it wakes up, or when I come home to find it on, when it should be asleep.

How can I track down why it is waking up? I assume there must be some system log or something that records why it woke up, etc.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Than you,

O
B unce!

ibook_steve
Sep 24, 2009, 01:58 PM

You can check the console logs, but it's probably USB or Bluetooth. Disconnect all USB devices and turn off Bluetooth. You could do this one by one to find the culprit device that's causing it to wake up.

Or why don't you just turn off the monitor before going to sleep?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

NDBounce  (op)
Senior User
Sep 24, 2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
You can check the console logs, but it's probably USB or Bluetooth. Disconnect all USB devices and turn off Bluetooth. You could do this one by one to find the culprit device that's causing it to wake up.

Or why don't you just turn off the monitor before going to sleep?

Steve
I could do the monitor thing. But it still does not fix the issue of the computer turning itself on when I am not home. Actually, I have taken to shutting down when I am away and at night. Which is annoying b/c I have to wait for the Mac to boot every time I want to watch TV.

The real issue as I see it, is that I own a Mac. If I wanted a system that was going to do things I did not want it to do, I would have saved $300 and bought a cheap PC. There really is not a good reason for this computer to wake itself up without me waking it.

Where are the logs that I need to check located? The only USB device that is plugged in is the EyeTV, and that needs to be plugged in for obvious or not so obvious reasons.

Peace,

O
B unce!

ibook_steve
Sep 24, 2009, 06:08 PM

Well, if unplugging the eyeTV solves your problem, then you need to contact El Gato. The Console app is in your Utilities folder. In the All messages report, search for sleep or wake. If you know when it happened, you can also look for the timestamp.

Also, in Bluetooth preferences, turn off wake from BT devices.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2009, 10:50 PM

I had an old G4 Mini that I used to record broadcasts with an EyeTV device that exhibited some of the same behavior. Waking at odd times I didn't mind too much. It was when it wouldn't wake up to record a show that I'd really find frustrating. The Intel Mac we bought a couple years ago has been much better in this regard, but it occasionally misses recordings as well or wakes up for no apparent reason. I chalk it up to minor problems with a complicated system. I try to restart the computer from time to time as well to clear the air a bit. It's more maintenance than I'd prefer, but when it works well it works very well. I'm not sure the EyeTV software is the best on the market, but every setup has its quirks, including dedicated DVR units.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2009, 03:11 PM

I had that with EyeTV some time ago. I recall clearing all recordings and clearing the Power Events Schedule on my Mac. This is basically a system wide thing for apps to store scheduled wakeup and sleep requests. I don't recall the details, so try Googling around those search terms.

You can check for any scheduled events with this Terminal command:

pmset -g sched

( I don't have an EyeTV mac close at hand, but that should list something )

Forum Links
Forum Rules