Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mac vs. Atari

Mac vs. Atari
starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2004, 09:57 AM

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Feb 2, 2004, 10:18 AM

BRILLIANT find there Mike

That sure brings back memories (I used to own an ST back in the 80s alongside my Mac)

Stupid avi is in IV50 (Indeo el-crappo format - touch� rambo47) so I only hear the sound of the clip in VLC. But the point is made.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2004, 11:34 AM

Cool stuff.

I used to have an ST before I got my iBook. Damn fine machine. Still have it around here somewhere.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2004, 12:01 PM

I owned an ST as well. I used to own an Atari 800, then an 800XL, and the ST was a natural progression without having to pay the inflated price on a Mac. For some reason, I stumbled upon the AtariAge.com site. Such good stuff in there.

I remember installing a new GemTOS chip during the SuperBowl once. I think it was the Jan. before I bought my first Mac; Atari had taken a serious, fast nosedive soon after that.

Mike

hostvisions
Feb 2, 2004, 12:22 PM

My beloved 520ST was my second Atari computer (after the 800) and my first college machine. I pounded out a lot of papers on that little wonder. The thing took up the entire kitchen table with the monitor, drive and printer.

I even started the first ST BBS here in central Ohio, with a whopping two single-sided floppy drives. I remember the day that a computer store owner donated a whopping 10mb (yes, MB) hard disk drive to the cause.

Thanks for the link. They really were great machines. I even bought that cartridge in a brown paper back that let you run the Mac OS (after you obtained the ROMS).

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2004, 12:26 PM

I had that!

I think I have the Atari ST font at home. As far as fonts go, that was a good, distinctive one.

The ST was the first machine that got me into fonts.

Mike

OreoCookie
Feb 2, 2004, 12:31 PM

Don't forget about the Amiga. Wow, that was a hell of a machine ...

I remember the disappointment of my first (and last) PC, they forgot to ship Windows, so I was stuck with DOS!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2004, 12:40 PM

The Amiga was sh*t

Mike

OreoCookie
Feb 2, 2004, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by starman:
The Amiga was sh*t

Mike
Yeah, for musicians it was Atari, for image stuff it was Amiga. I had stereo sound right away.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2004, 03:53 PM

First computer was an Atari 400 with an after market keyboard replacing the crap soft key one, modded memory in it (like 8kor 16k or something), floppy disc with a modded chipset for pirating games (hey, I was young and broke!). You know, I think its still around, with the four joystick ports it did a lot of time playing M.U.L.E.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2004, 05:50 PM

Atari 400, 800XL, 1040ST before I went to a Powerbook 140.

Happy Drives, anyone? I ended up with an 810 and a 1050 before I left them behind.

I *so* regret selling my 8 bit Atari stuff.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

hostvisions
Feb 2, 2004, 06:19 PM

Ahhhh, Happy Drives. I didn't have one but a friend did. I had the much-touted 'Indus GT' drive. The sleek black one with the smoke door and digital control panel on front. Damn thing was loud as all getout and cost me plenty of cash (not to mention took forever to get in my grubby hands after ordering).

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2004, 06:31 PM

Yeah, the Indus GT. Wasn't that the one with the LED readout of... something or other? My fellow junior-high geek Atari friend had that one..... Ah, the days of dreaming about when my super fast 2400 baud modem would be here to speed up the connection to the local BBS, and their super-cool ATASCII animations....
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 07:44 AM

Hold it, Amiga had stereo too, it was the atari that had MIDI ports. I remember that there were two similar magazines, Amiga Format and Atari Format that more or less reviewed the same software anyway, if you see a game add from those days it featured screenshots from 5 different platforms with the ZX spectrum, IBM-compatible and CBM 64 being the worst
I spent years behind my amiga, all my friends had amigas..you became software dependend on one platform or the other I guess
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

jaiqua
Feb 3, 2004, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by starman:
The Amiga was sh*t

Mike
sacrilege!!! lol

I was an amiga person cause it seemed like the atari and amiga worlds had split into music/graphics, the Amiga being far better for visual stuff.

The internal clock timing of the Amiga allowed programs like Lightwave to play full PAL 25fps playback, something that Pc's, and Macs couldn't do for years.

Outside of SGI's, Amiga had the animation market, and video market pretty much sewn up.

Em, so yeah, the Atari sucked.

kidding btw
the navajo know

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2004, 08:20 AM

I still have my Atari 800XL, Indus GT, and the tape drive and a bunch of cartridge games. I have the game Blue Max on tape.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2004, 09:50 AM

I never had the Indus GT, I had (and still have) "The Chip" called "The Archiver" which allowed you to copy most games...until EA figured out how to make a version of copy protection that even The Archiver couldn't crack.

Mike

hostvisions
Feb 3, 2004, 10:01 AM

Actually, I wanted an Amiga, just couldn't afford it, so that's why I got the 520. Always wanted an Amiga, just couldn't afford one while going to school.

Anyone remember the game 'Zombies'? I can't remember who made it and to be honest I really don't remember the goal of the game, but I spent a TON of time playing that with friends in 2-player mode. I had the thing on TAPE, and took like 15 minutes just to load the game.
It was FUN.

Someone here mentioned 2400 baud modems, I remember when they came out and how fast they were. Then I remember spending something like 500-600 on a USR HST modem. I'll never forget my friend saying 'no way dude, you've reading that from memory, right?' the first time I showed him how fast it was by logging on to a BBS.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2004, 03:29 AM

Okay, do any of you poor Atari geeks (like me) remember Dandy? The game that spawned Gauntlet? The characters were a big numeral 1 and a big numeral 2 who went around shooting arrows (big oragish arrows) at critters and generators. There were orange circles, white squares and something else. You could generate your own levels and save 'em to the incredibly trick 5 & a quarter floppy. Whole game was done with redefined charcter sets of course. That game was the best. Better than M.U.L.E. and 7 cities of gold.

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2004, 03:44 AM

Sorry to interrupt, but this seems like as good a time as any: how do I watch .avi files on my Mac? It doesn't happen much that I need to, but every once in a while I'll be linked to a site with only .avi and I can't watch them.

Cheers!
It's the devil's way now.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Feb 4, 2004, 04:59 AM

Originally posted by PookJP:
Sorry to interrupt, but this seems like as good a time as any: how do I watch .avi files on my Mac? It doesn't happen much that I need to, but every once in a while I'll be linked to a site with only .avi and I can't watch them.

Cheers!
START A NEW THREAD BUTTON.

It's there for a reason

As for your question: Use VLC www.videolan.org to watch .avi on Mac.

On Topic:

OreoCookie
Feb 4, 2004, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by jaiqua:
sacrilege!!! lol

I was an amiga person cause it seemed like the atari and amiga worlds had split into music/graphics, the Amiga being far better for visual stuff.

The internal clock timing of the Amiga allowed programs like Lightwave to play full PAL 25fps playback, something that Pc's, and Macs couldn't do for years.

Outside of SGI's, Amiga had the animation market, and video market pretty much sewn up.

Em, so yeah, the Atari sucked.

kidding btw
My Amiga was really cool, I really liked it.
AFAIK parts of Seaquest were made on an Amiga

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2004, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Twilly Spree:
http://www.trekpulse.com/games/images/platform-atarist.jpg
Ah yes I remember the 520. Being a poor teen I couldn't afford one of those. I bought a Commodore 128 instead, it was truly horrible. My list of comps over the years:

Atari 800XL
Commodore 128
Apple IIgs
Mac IIvx
PowerMac 8500
Dell pentium II 200
homebrew Celeron 300A OC'd 450
homebrew PIII 700
iBook 600
PowerMac G4 dual 1.25

My dad bought me the 800XL, setting me down the path of geekhood (gee thanks dad):

SomeToast
Senior User
Feb 4, 2004, 07:46 PM

Ah, AtariWriter. With a 130XE, it produced most of my written work in college (beat waiting in line for the 128K Macs in the computer lab, and even when you got one, you'd eventually get kicked out).

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2004, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by d0ubled0wn:
Ah yes I remember the 520. Being a poor teen I couldn't afford one of those. I bought a Commodore 128 instead, it was truly horrible. My list of comps over the years:

Atari 800XL
Commodore 128
Apple IIgs
Mac IIvx
PowerMac 8500
Dell pentium II 200
homebrew Celeron 300A OC'd 450
homebrew PIII 700
iBook 600
PowerMac G4 dual 1.25

My dad bought me the 800XL, setting me down the path of geekhood (gee thanks dad):
Archon! Enchanter!

step
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2004, 10:43 PM

loved my ST and the atari 400 before it, check out:
http://hatari.sourceforge.net/

"Hatari is an Atari ST emulator for Linux, BSD, BeOS, Mac OS X...Hatari already supports mouse, keyboard, ST-HIGH, -MED and -LOW resolutions and the emulation of most of the rest of the ST hardware"

also:
http://www.atari.st/
for software and nostalgia

Forum Links
Forum Rules