Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help a lady out with her sick iMac!

Help a lady out with her sick iMac!
DavisH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2006, 08:18 PM

I have my neighbor’s iMac G3 400 that refuses to boot or do anything for that matter. When you press the button the light goes green, but hard drive, monitor stays silent. When I hold the button to reset it, all you hear is the speakers loosing power. Other then that noise I hear absolutely nothing coming from this thing. I have reset that little mother board button, and rotated the ram around still nothing. I am quite new to the Macintosh platform, and I really don’t know what to do. I have never had Macs refuse to do anything like this before? I have a hunch, based on my PC experience that it’s the motherboard, unless you guys can tell about some magic reset.

Any help would be much appreciated…the lady is freaking out she has all of her finical data on there. I gave her a huge lecture on backing data up, but it doesn’t have a floppy Drive or a CD burner, so that’s a little hard to do.

Thanks a million

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2006, 08:37 PM

I say it's a dead motherboard, but you can probably recover the data on the HD by transferring it to another Mac or installing it to an external case.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2006, 03:33 PM

Could be a bad power supply.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

DavisH  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2006, 04:02 PM

How do I test if the power supply isn't working?

Thanks for your help guys

Forum Links
Forum Rules