Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Speed / GUI programs = ?

Speed / GUI programs = ?
M$2MBP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2007, 05:13 AM

Hello everyone, I am a new mac user. I still own my badass XP gaming rig, but with Vista becoming a reality I am looking hard at something new. So, I bought a mac book recenlty (last week) and am curious about skinning programs for the mac OS.

I use win blinds with my XP machine, it slows down the system a tiny bit, but not so much since I don't use any bloated themes with transparencies, widgets, and whatnot. I am content with simply changing the colors of the UI. Anyways my question has to do with the mac OS and these theme programs I have been reading about. I found a few, Shapeshifter seems to be the name I read about most, though I can't say I found *ANY* actual review for it yet (actual facts, not hype) so that left me with nothing. I am curious how these programs effect your systems speed.

I value my system's speed the most, especially since it's a laptop. I don't mind a tiny speed slow down, even windows blinds gets a tiny slow down, but I remembered trying some bloated themes and having to wait just for the menus to pop up. Would a program like Shapeshifter slow my system down? If so how much (in your opinions)? If so, does it seem to be like WBs, where the speed decrease depends on the theme used? i.e. simple theme means it's not noticed, bloated theme means waiting for things to happen.

I would really like to use some of the great themes I found for Shapeshifter, but I am worried about the effect it will have on my mac. Are there other programs out there with less or "0" speed decrease but maybe they don't offer as much/same stability or something?

Thanks for anyone who actually reads this long ass post and replies! hehe

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2007, 06:24 AM

On an Intel based Mac there is a slight hit to performance. Mostly at application startup....not so noticable once everythings running.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 9, 2007, 07:21 AM

It was noticeable enough for me to not use it. I wont go into random application oddness.

You can theme your OS without using SS. You just don't have as many options.

Mac puts out themes that don't require SS. It's just like the system was running Aqua.

But it looks different. No slowdown.

M$2MBP  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It was noticeable enough for me to not use it. I wont go into random application oddness.

You can theme your OS without using SS. You just don't have as many options.

Mac puts out themes that don't require SS. It's just like the system was running Aqua.

But it looks different. No slowdown.
Where can I find these. I already tried the mac website, but only found links to big software titles... Please help. I don't mind not having 8,000 themes, but I really can't stant the brushed metal look. Of all the default themes they could have chosen, I think they chose the worst!

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2007, 07:02 PM

I think he means Max Rudberg but his installer based themes haven't been updated in a while......

M$2MBP  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2007, 09:05 PM

Wow, so you mean to tell me that the mac OS doesn't even come with more then a single theme? That blows! What a horrible thing to do, to users. Even Windows has like 4-5 default themes....
( Last edited by M$2MBP; Oct 9, 2007 at 09:07 PM. Reason: poo)

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2007, 10:26 PM

themers/customizers make up about .00009% of all computer users....and you could always go back to windows....I hear those themes rock.

Curiosity
Senior User
Oct 10, 2007, 01:22 AM

Windows themes are very easy to put together. All the themes I use on XP are themes that I compiled from bits and pieces.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 10, 2007, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by digitaljames View Post
I think he means Max Rudberg but his installer based themes haven't been updated in a while......
His installer based themes have been updated since his GUI based ones have.

I installed Smooth Stripes on the latest version of 10.4

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 10, 2007, 05:54 AM

themers/customizers make up about .00009% of all computer users....and you could always go back to windows....I hear those themes rock.
Ah but you too have to use a third party application to drastically change the GUI like OS X as well. Which also slows the OS down.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2007, 06:09 AM

I think he means via the windows theming engine, (luna blue, olive, silver and classic) not windowblinds.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 10, 2007, 06:34 AM

Well OS X has Graphite and Aqua!11

Yeah... OS X needs a Aqua theme, and a more pro level minded theme. I always though it should have done that in the first place. Aqua, or Platinum.

Oh well.

M$2MBP  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 09:29 PM

I think he means via the windows theming engine, (luna blue, olive, silver and classic) not windowblinds.

That is exactly what I mean, doesn't the mac OS have more then one basic GUI? I would even be happy with a flat colored one, but brushed metal is hard to look at.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2007, 09:38 PM

No, there's just one!

M$2MBP  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 10:02 PM

Does Shapeshifter slow the system down? I mean, enough to notice?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2007, 10:12 PM

Skinning and theming is really a windows thing - I've always assumed that was to do with Windows looking so lame out of the box.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2007, 11:05 PM

I may have this wrong but since SS is swapping the resources as they are called up by the OS - yes there is a performance hit. That is the direct answer HOWEVER . . . some of the themes are bada** and worth every bit of the slight slowdown. I know you can't use the themes with some programs AND with the ongoing tweeks and adjustments to iTunes, from Apple, one can feel a bit let down by the length of time an update can take on a favorite guikit. Remember no one in the community is making money changing the 13,000 elements in the interface so have some patience. I am a UI addict - nothing stays the same for very long and I deal with it. My recommendation to you is download the SS, try it, get some kits and see if the hit is too much for you. BTW - welcome to our house - I won't say its the 'lightside' it just has fewer people on the beach.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 11, 2007, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by M$2MBP View Post
Does Shapeshifter slow the system down? I mean, enough to notice?
Yes, yes it does. BTW you can theme your OS without using Shapeshifter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules