Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Making a bootable WinXP SP2 CD for Boot Camp

Making a bootable WinXP SP2 CD for Boot Camp
Yakusoya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2008, 12:02 AM

I want to install Windows XP on my Mac using Boot Camp. However, my Windows XP SP2 CD is scratched and corrupted and I cannot transfer all of the contents. I am following this guide to create a bootable CD using the files in my i386 folder.

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/cre...etupdisk.shtml

However, my i386 folder is 1GB in size probably because it has additional stuff on it. The guide does not assist in removing the unnecessary things and downsizing the folder so that it can fit on a CD-R. Can anyone help me with that please? Actually, is there such thing as a bootable DVD-R that I can burn to that can work just the same?

By the way, I checked the EULA.txt file like in the sticky thread and it says that it is XP Professional SP2. So I don't need to slipstream anything. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 25, 2008, 08:44 AM

Welcome to the MacNN Forums!

It seems that you've found an interesting direction to go with for rescuing your install CD. I'd see if I can get a folder listing of the files in your CD's i386 folder, and just use those in creating your bootable CD. At worst it'll be a pain to get the CD to read, but your optical drive should be able to get the directory information, even if it can't read the actual files.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Yakusoya  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2008, 04:49 PM

Before I tried the WinXP CD, I put in another WinXP CD that was not SP2. Because of that, I encountered the problem in this thread where it cannot detect the partition labeled Boot Camp. So I followed the manual's guide to uninstall the new partition made for Windows.

However, the next time I turn on Mac, it shows a white screen for a minute, and then says in a DOS screen "no bootable media detected, please insert disc and press any key". So I have to restart and once it gets to the white screen I must press and hold Option to choose to boot into MacintoshHD (that is the only option available btw).

Will it be like this if I successfully installed Windows too?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 27, 2008, 06:02 PM

No. The installer simply set the boot path to go to your (failed) Windows partition. Both OS X and Windows (after you install the drivers) will feature an app (System Preferences/Control Panel) that allows you to select the default OS to boot into. In fact, I'd do that right now—open System Preferences and look in the System for "Startup Disk." Run that and select OS X as the default. Later, if you want to boot into the other OS, you simply go through the Option key process to get to it, but the default OS remains the same.

By the way, it may be much simpler for you to just slipstream that SP1 version of XP with SP2 rather than your suggested method above. It's REALLY straightforward.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

REVBCO
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2008, 11:42 AM

Slipstream info here.
2.33 White iMac | 2GB Ram | 500GB HD
2.2 BlackBook | 2GB Ram | 120GB HD
16GB Touch | 80GB Classic | 10GB Classic | 8GB Pink | 40GB Apple TV

Forum Links
Forum Rules