Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Windows to Mac Basics

Windows to Mac Basics
whitefang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2009, 09:52 AM

1) In windows, you can view all events by using the event viewer. It will show you any warnings, errors, info about the OS, drivers, apps etc. Where is this in OSX? (I think it might be the kernel panic thingy, but how do I access that?)

2) In most laptops, the harddrive activity light shows when the HD is being used. How do I know with the macbook Pro? There is no indicator lights?

3) In windows, I use foobar to stream music over the network. When I use Itunes, it starts copying all the files FROM the network share before playing them. So, is there a better player that doesn't do this or can Itunes be configured to do this?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2009, 10:13 AM

1) /Applications/Utilities/Console

2) google "MenuMeters". Free, and good. Network, memory, HD access monitoring for the menubar.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2009, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by whitefang View Post
When I use Itunes, it starts copying all the files FROM the network share before playing them. So, is there a better player that doesn't do this or can Itunes be configured to do this?
In the iTunes preferences, there is a checkbox that tells iTunes to "manage the library", which means it copies the files to the default iTunes Library location.

If you uncheck this, it shouldn't copy the files no more and leave them at the original place on the HD. / network.

-t

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2009, 11:27 AM

I'm getting an old iBook set up for my mom (she wanted a cheap/free laptop, and it was there...)

To the OP: are there other things you've found that have eased the transition from Windows to OS X? My mom hasn't ever really used a Mac, and I want to make it as painless as possible for her.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2009, 10:05 PM

Do you actually need to know if your hard drive is currently active? I've never missed the indicator light.

If you use iTunes on both the source and destination computer, you should set up the source iTunes to share music (see preferences), and the on the destination computer, you can subscribe to the source computer's iTunes library. No file copying is done when playing music this way, it just streams.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2009, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
In the iTunes preferences, there is a checkbox that tells iTunes to "manage the library", which means it copies the files to the default iTunes Library location.

If you uncheck this, it shouldn't copy the files no more and leave them at the original place on the HD. / network.

-t
There's actually two checkboxes if I remember correctly. Generally, people want iTunes to manage their library, but not copy files into it. So, leave the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" checkbox marked, but uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to the library" They're both under Advanced.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I'm getting an old iBook set up for my mom (she wanted a cheap/free laptop, and it was there...)

To the OP: are there other things you've found that have eased the transition from Windows to OS X? My mom hasn't ever really used a Mac, and I want to make it as painless as possible for her.
File --> Quit

Most PC users try and just 'X' the window they're using to quit while that keeps the program active. On an old iBook that can eat up resources fast. Other than that, have everything she'll need in the dock and tell her to forget about the 'start menu' way of dealing with things.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2009, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
File --> Quit

The "Quit" command hasn't been under the "File" menu in ten years!

(It's in the application menu in OS X.)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2009, 05:06 AM

Also, get her to use the "Help" menu.

It's the LAST thing you'll ever consider doing if you're coming from Windows, but imbue her with the idea that the Help menu is actually, really aimed at HELPING real, ordinary, non-engineer human beings - as is the rest of the system.

The most important thing on the Mac is to get the user to realize that Apple WANTS you and EXPECTS you to be able to use and do everything, simply by virtue of you not being stupid.

That is the single hardest thing to get your head around if you're coming from Windows, which works 180° opposite.

Keda
Senior User
Mar 10, 2009, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by whitefang View Post
2) In most laptops, the harddrive activity light shows when the HD is being used. How do I know with the macbook Pro? There is no indicator lights?
On each of my Macs, I set Activity Monitor to launch as a Login Item. Once launched, you go to View or right click on the dock icon to tell the app what, if any, info you'd like displayed in the dock icon. I usually keep mine set to CPU History, but another option is Disk Activity. This will cause the icon to change to a line graph, representing reads/writes. I know this is a bit more than an activity light, but it gets the job done.

cwkmacuser
Senior User
Mar 30, 2009, 11:14 AM

I used to use OS/2 Warp (which is SO different from mac). When I switched to mac, I found it extremely easy to learn. I think apple makes it that way on purpose. It's not too hard to get the hang of it pretty quickly!
Chris K.
White MacBook and iPod Nano 3rd Generation
Experienced Mac User
Don't hold me accountable for jokes-I have a lousy sense of humor!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2009, 02:01 PM

As opposed to these forums - it took you three weeks to discover this thread!

Gavin
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2009, 06:39 PM

Not everybody checks these boards every 4 hours.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post

The "Quit" command hasn't been under the "File" menu in ten years!

(It's in the application menu in OS X.)
Old habits die hard, d'oh...

cwkmacuser
Senior User
Mar 31, 2009, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
Not everybody checks these boards every 4 hours.
I do check frequently but playing don't bother to reply to anything unless I know of or can think of something to say.
Chris K.
White MacBook and iPod Nano 3rd Generation
Experienced Mac User
Don't hold me accountable for jokes-I have a lousy sense of humor!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2009, 06:02 PM

#1 Windows to Mac Basic: Swap control modifiers with command, you should be OK. Print, copy, paste, etc.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules