Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > hard drive dock recommendations?

hard drive dock recommendations?
Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2010, 05:00 PM

I need a HD dock that can handle 3.5" drives at least up to 2TB. I've read all sorts of mixed reviews out there and nothing seems to stand out. Any recommendations?

FW800 or eSATA preferred.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 28, 2010, 05:51 PM

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2010, 06:04 PM

Great suggestion. I forgot to check OWC. Looks like a solid product- and the one I need is well-priced now at $25. Thanks!
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2010, 07:56 PM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2010, 03:25 AM

I have two of those Thermaltake docks and they work just fine for me. I'd buy them again.

The only thing I don't like is that the built-in USB "hub" I got in one of them. It only works when the HDD is powered which to me makes no sense. But the bare bones version of the dock is great.

ghporter
Administrator
May 29, 2010, 09:52 AM

I haven't used a Thermaltake dock, but every other one of their products I've used has been great. I'd go with them based on my experience. NewerTech products have always struck me as a variety of maker's units that get conglomerated under one "brand" label, which isn't necessarily bad, but it gives that brand name less power in my opinion.

Likewise, espow, in Nick's link, seems to be a conglomerator, but of a variety of products from different brands... I think before I chose one, I'd want personal experience recommendations for each of their items, even more so than for NewerTech-branded products.

One thing I like about many newer docks is that they offer dust covers that are easy to use. My first experience in dock shopping was miserable because none of the docks I looked into had any sort of cover. I didn't want to pay for something that wouldn't be dust-free when I went to use it, or that required me to take off some sort of cover before I could use it. If I had to go to that much trouble, I felt I may as well just keep my adapter cable sets on my desk. The current crop of docks is the exact opposite of those early ones-it's simple, easy and clean. This gives me a good reason to organize all those hard drives into some sort of useful system, just so I "should get" a new dock!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2010, 07:48 PM

I have something that looks very much like the Thermaltake and Newertech designs, but with a four port USB hub in the front. Works fine for me. Kind of un-necessary since there is usually only ever one HDD in it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2010, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Yup, good price and works well.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules