Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > sil4726 & 3TB

sil4726 & 3TB
Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2011, 11:50 AM

Hey I've got a couple 5-bay 4726 boxes. They are connected to a 4-port HighPoint card I put in my Mac Pro.

My question: What is the consensus on the 4726 supporting 3TB hard drives? Possible?

It's about time for me to get some more storage, and I was wondering if I should expand my options to include a 3TB drive.

Thanks,

Ted
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2011, 03:10 PM

I don't know for certain, but given the age of the chip (6? years old) I doubt it.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 17, 2011, 03:25 PM

If it's just an eSATA port multiplier box, I wouldn't expect the drive size to matter. It should just route the packets between the drives and controller card. It should depend on the HighPoint card.

ps - look up your 5-bay box on newegg. Read the comments, see if anyone mentions using 3TB drives.

Forum Links
Forum Rules